The 2010 UKFF UK50(+) - Results

Big Benny HG

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members
also the link at the bottom of each comment saying gilligan gordon on twitter is a subtle hint

Dear god, he's right!!!

And you've just given yourself away as Columbo! Nobody else could've cracked that one

:crazy:

• Paid Members

No. 15 - Marty Scurll

Score: 234 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2010 votes: 0

2009 ranking: 18th

2008 ranking: 30th

2007 ranking: not listed

2006 ranking: not listed

2005 ranking: not listed

marrrrrrrty.jpg

Who is he?

Scurll achieves his highest ever UKFF UK50 ranking after his most high-profile year to date. Either as part of the LDRS of the New School tag team with Zack Sabre Jr or striking out on his own, Marty has impressed audiences in IPW:UK, FWA, XWA, TXW and more, and made appearances on each of the Dragon Gate UK shows to earn himself a closer look in the promotion.

In the summer of 2009, Scurll and Sabre Jr reigned as the British Tag Team Champions in IPW:UK, following their Match-of-the-Year title win over The Thrillers (Mark Haskins and Joel Redman) back in May. A similarly cracking rematch for the belts at "Summer Sizzler" in July ended with no clear winners as The Thrillers were disqualified for manager Gilligan Gordon's interference. This set up a decisive Tables, Ladders and Chairs match for the Undisputed championship at the promotion's "5th Anniversary Show" that September. Another corker, the LDRS put the feud to bed in a bout that saw Scurll fly off the high window-ledge in the Sittingbourne venue..... Impressive performances throughout the year meant that Scurll was selected to be one of a small few British-based wrestlers to be used on the first ever Dragon Gate show held in the UK. Taking place in Oxford, Scurll teamed with fellow Brit Jonny Storm to face Dragon Gate's "Real Hazard" members Ryo Saito and Genki Horiguchi in a really good match..... The Thrillers situation finished, the LDRS battled new challengers. Scurll and Sabre beat The Bhangra Knights (RJ Singh and Darryl Allen) on October's Swanley show and then achieved a DQ win over S&M (Stixx and Paul Malen) in November back in Sittingbourne when scheduled challengers Hubba Bubba Lucha (El Ligero and Bubblegum) were not able to appear. Scurll himself ended the year by defeating Singh in a singles match to continue their Swanley feud..... In February 2010, the LDRS gained 2 wins over touring US imports Up In Smoke (Cheech and Cloudy) to retain their hold on the tag titles, before Scurll returned to Swanley the following month to pick up another win over the Bhangra Knights in an 8-man tag. The LDRS rounded off the UKFF UK50 eligibility period with another successful defence over Stixx and Malen at "Unfinished Business" in June.....

While the LDRS have been strong crowd favourites in places like Sittingbourne, they are cheeky, arrogant and cocky rebels as part of the continuing regular 'adult' shows held at the former NWA UK Hammerlock venue of the Tap n' Tin club in Chatham, Kent. There, Scurll's antics have been plain for all to see in bouts against Jonny Storm, Paul Tracey..... It is heel Scurll that has also become a regular part of the XWA promotion up in Morecambe. Marty lost to "Heavyweight House of Pain" Stixx at "Vendetta 2009" in July and Joey Hayes at "Last Fight at the Prom in September. Despite the losses, Scurll competed for the vacated Flyweight Title (due to previous champion Spud winning the Heavyweight belt) in a 4-way at "Goldrush" in January, but fell victim to El Ligero's pinfall.....

What did the UKFF think?

"Possibly the new Jonny Storm. Great in the ring and gets better every time I see him"

"Good look, personality and fantastic all round work"

"A great worker, showed off just how good he was against the Dragon Gate wrestlers"

"Didn't win me over the first few times I saw him. But last year, starting with the tag match at Dragon Gate UK, the tag match at FWA Nottingham a few weeks later, being the absolute highlight of the afternoon show at 101 in March against Terry Frazier, and then a fantastic match as part of the LDRs against Project Ego (also, incidentally, the very first time I'd had the opportunity to see the LDRs as a pair live). Great matches against NX on the FWA DVD's I've watched. Definitely a guy who is going to use 2010 as a place to break out so hopefully his UKFF 50 placement will reflect this"

"Maybe not at the same level as Zack but still capable of an amazing match"

"Although he appears less technically gifted than Zack, he knows how to fire up a crowd better"

"A complete all-rounder, superb in any role"

"He can be incredibly entertaining when having a laugh at smaller shows, seems to enjoy it"

"One half of the best tag team in the UK and a very good performer in his own right"

"As one half of the Leaders of the New School Scurll has shone in everything he has done this year. Another talent that could be destined for a trip or two abroad in the near future"

"Entertaining with Zack Sabre in the LDRS and competant in a singles role. The more charismatic member of the LDRS but no less talented. Can hang well with outsiders in the case of DGUK, and Cheech & Cloudy at IPW:UK"

"Half of the best tag team in the UK. One of the most improved wrestlers of the last 2 years. Great at getting the crowd into the match. Can be loved and hated but always entertains"

"Buckets of charisma with a quick thinking mind to go with it, Scurll is one of the very best in the UK right now"

"Even though the guy is fantastic as a tag team wrestler as his long standing team with Zack Sabre Jnr will no doubt tell you, as well as his two pairings with Johnny Storm, but the guy is a great singles wrestler and has charisma by the bucketloads as he was one of the few highlights from the 101 afternoon show"

"Great match at Dragon Gate UK"

"Really promising young guy"

"Charisma, solid in ring work, the better half of the LDRS for me"

"He is often over shadowed by his tag team partner but in my opinion he is definitely the more talented. He may not have the stiffest kicks or the many lucha moves that Sabre Jr. has but his crowd interaction is second to none"

"Marty was almost instantly a star in the UK scene thanks to his hilarious heel mannerisms, but as time's gone on, he's more and more of a standout. The Leaders tag team is guaranteed fun on any card, but Marty can make it work against or with anyone. Cheeky face and heel charisma puts any match on another level almost straight away, and that's before he's even had the chance to bust out his great matwork and highflying. The one word I always think of when I watch a Scurll match is "fun", and people always want to see something fun"

"Still not at the heights of ZSJ, really seems to be the bridesmaid of the LDRS despite his flashier moves and arguably better charisma"

"This guy is the number one Leader, who has so much more about him than kicks and a bit of tech"

"I said it last year and I

I'm very surprised Marty only came in 15. He has been so crisp in the ring and great personality I thought he was a cert for the top ten. I think he was my number one pick, so this and a lack of Karl 'The Iron Hulk' Atlas upsets me.

I'm very surprised Marty only came in 15. He has been so crisp in the ring and great personality I thought he was a cert for the top ten. I think he was my number one pick, so this and a lack of Karl 'The Iron Hulk' Atlas upsets me.

Acording to hat guy not so because he said he had no no1 pick's

Edited by Prince Nana