Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

Naismith didn't do a bad job in CM. He got a goal and by all accounts played pretty well; it's odd to think that he's almost becoming Arveladze-esque in terms of positional flexibility; even if I would far rather see him up front, we're covered in that area pretty well as of today, so it makes sense to utilise him on the right or in the middle. McCulloch isn't great, but I'd also far rather see him in the middle of the park with Edu than ever, ever playing at CB again.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love reading this pish one game and rangers have won the league...

Im sure i see aberdeen sitting top... haha...

Im not even gonna talk debt cause its a waste of time with that lot don't get it... Murray shuts up shop doesnt sell and its all alright again...

I wouldn't be happy...

Anyway the money in the game at the moment is a joke... fair play to bellamy not many will do it to go home... The greed of bullard has seen him possibly frozen out... James has went way down and probably made a campbell mistake... Campbell playing in premiership still so he is playing at top level still and glad we never got him....

The lad weiss was never really in the running plenty of wingers at the club and another one is doing nothing...

Only one i would like to see is a goalie and if it was given amazing but its all if, buts and maybes...

• Paid Members
Anyway the money in the game at the moment is a joke... fair play to bellamy not many will do it to go home... The greed of bullard has seen him possibly frozen out... James has went way down and probably made a campbell mistake... Campbell playing in premiership still so he is playing at top level still and glad we never got him....

What have Bellamy done to go home?. He has not took a pay cut for a start? Can't see no Gers fans saying they have the league won ether.

Love reading this pish one game and rangers have won the league...

Im sure i see aberdeen sitting top... haha...

Im not even gonna talk debt cause its a waste of time with that lot don't get it... Murray shuts up shop doesnt sell and its all alright again...

I wouldn't be happy...

The lad weiss was never really in the running plenty of wingers at the club and another one is doing nothing...

Only one i would like to see is a goalie and if it was given amazing but its all if, buts and maybes...

Craig Bellamy is still picking up

Very pleased to see we've signed Weiss, Jelavic and obviously Beattie before that; although frankly, just signing anyone is good for us! I am slightly disappointed that we didn't go after Mphela but I'm pretty happy with the players we've got. Wouldn't mind another midfielder, but if Naismith continues to play as well as he did there on Saturday then that's fine by me. We'll get bummed in the Champions League, but that's all about the money anyway really, and if we can squeeze our way into 3rd in our group in order to get a wee Europa League run then that'd be even better.

All in all, quite content with the way the last week or so has turned out; the task now is to keep winning, and the real test will come on 24th October, by which time we should have some idea of what type of team this season's brand-new Celtic squad can form.

EDIT: Glad to see Motherwell getting an away goal in Denmark. 2-1 isn't too bad a result even if they did score a soft goal; a 1-0 win at Fir Park is perfectly conceivable.

Motherwell made an official complaint to UEFA last night after missiles were thrown at goalkeeper Darren Randolph by Odense fans.

The Irishman claimed to have had lighters and coins hurled at him during the 2-1 defeat in Denmark and the incident was included in Hungarian referee Zsolt Szabo's report.

Odense could now be hit with a hefty fine.

A Well spokesman said: "We can confirm that two lighters were handed to the fourth official after they were thrown at Darren.

"Darren also said there were coins thrown. We will take our complaints to the appropriate people at UEFA who are responsible for safety within the stadium."

Meanwhile, Tom Hateley admitted he wasn't even planning to go for glory with the free-kick that kept Well's group stage dream alive - until assistant gaffer Archie Knox ordered him to have a crack.

The Englishman curled home a cracker in injury time for a crucial away goal after the Steelmen had looked down and out at 2-0, having lost Steve Jennings to a red card.

After initially trying to cross into the box, Hateley was given a second chance when the ref ordered a retake.

Hateley said: "The keeper took steps to his left and the bench shouted at me to shoot because I was running out of time.

"I couldn't hear the bench but Stephen Hammell told me Archie was shouting to shoot. So I thought I'd go for it and if I missed I could blame them.

"The keeper was standing on his far post as if he was waiting for the cross but I probably wouldn't have shot if they hadn't shouted.

"The goal was the perfect moment yet we all feel we could have had so much more out of the game. We had good chances."

Beaming boss Craig Brown claimed it would have been an injustice if his side had not scored, insisting they'd been denied two penalties and had Jennings harshly sent off.

He said: "We didn't deserve to lose - I thought we were worth a draw.

"This is far from over. We showed we are as good a team as them and, if we play well at Fir Park, we have a chance. We have the away goal so 1-0 would do for us next week.

"It was a wonderful free-kick and we played well. The ordering-off was two soft yellows and the Danes made the most of it.

"We also had two strong penalty claims.

There was a blatant hand ball and Jamie Murphy was pushed off the ball."

I hope that Odense get hit by a decent sized fine for their fans behaviour.

As for the game itself, there were some really dodgy refereeing decisions against Motherwell from what I hear.

I'm confident we can get the result needed at Fir Park to get through though.

Ally after watching Naysmith play in the centre this weekend, do you not think Ranges could do with a new centre mid? If Davis gets injured then the middle of the park would be Edu and Mcculloch at the moment. :confused:

Not as a priority. I think we have enough depth there and after Naismith's performance there on Saturday I'd be quite happy with him filling in there for injuries and suspensons. Plus we have players like Kyle Hutton and Jamie Ness to fill the gap if needed.

I'm more worried about the defence.Wilson's gone, rumours going about that Walter isn't overly impressed with Webster, Weir surley can't go another season of 40 plus games and Boughie could be gone as soon as a sizeable bid comes in.

Can I just say about the "Skint Rangers offer more money than Celtic" comment, it was a loan deal and Celtic had a bid accepted for him but it was part of the Bellamy deal and that is why it fell through. Weiss has played it perfectly with his quote about picking Rangers over Celtic but I think he forgot he was quoted around a week ago saying he would love to sign for Celtic.

Rangers are also nowhere near administration in my opinion but this tax case is a serious issue, more serious than their fans think, and the reason it has actually came about is ridiculous from the club. Rangers lived outwith their means for years and basically signed players they couldn't afford and bought titles for years and that's why it has came about. How that isn't cheating I don't know, but then again it's the SFA that run our game so no surprise they let this go on.

And just to add another thing, I spit my water all over my screen when I read that Rangers are in a better financial position than Celtic. Absolutely hilarious comment, well done to you sir.

• Paid Members
Ally after watching Naysmith play in the centre this weekend, do you not think Ranges could do with a new centre mid? If Davis gets injured then the middle of the park would be Edu and Mcculloch at the moment. :confused:

Not as a priority. I think we have enough depth there and after Naismith's performance there on Saturday I'd be quite happy with him filling in there for injuries and suspensons. Plus we have players like Kyle Hutton and Jamie Ness to fill the gap if needed.

I'm more worried about the defence.Wilson's gone, rumours going about that Walter isn't overly impressed with Webster, Weir surley can't go another season of 40 plus games and Boughie could be gone as soon as a sizeable bid comes in.

What about Kirk Broadfoot? :thumbsup: I really don't get why Walter don't like Webster he did a good job last year, I guess the saying is beggars cant be choosers?

And just to add another thing, I spit my water all over my screen when I read that Rangers are in a better financial position than Celtic. Absolutely hilarious comment, well done to you sir.

I never said that. So you wasted your water.

I know you didn't, DoctorWho did though.

right now we can pay our debt at the arranged rate and still spend... celtics turnover is decreasing 12% year on year for the last 3 years, rangers has improved the last 2 years.. we are much more stable club wise than you think. Tic have big backers who just put bits of cash in when needed... you havent even paid mowbray what u owed him yet...

right now we can pay our debt at the arranged rate and still spend... celtics turnover is decreasing 12% year on year for the last 3 years, rangers has improved the last 2 years.. we are much more stable club wise than you think. Tic have big backers who just put bits of cash in when needed... you havent even paid mowbray what u owed him yet...

You are unbelievable. The only factual thing is that Celtic's turnover has decreased but that's simply because they had no Champions League football. Celtic's turnover equalled Ranger's turnover this year despite Rangers getting all the Champions League money.

Look at the turnovers for the previous year where the situation was reversed (47million v 21 million).

Anyone can pay debt at an agreed rate. That's how it works. You make it sound like Rangers have invented a genius way of paying back money they owe.

I am pretty sure Mowbray's payoff was in the latest accounts.

You need to stop listening to what people tell you and look at the accounts for yourself. They are all there on the site for you to look at.

Archived