Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

I remember Hideo Tokoro from a fantastic fight he had with Abel Cullum back in Dream and he's primarily fought all his fights in Japan.  A quick look at wiki reveals he has a record of 32-27-2 (and I thought he was a lot better than that).  Davis was a staple towards the end of WEC, but was never someone who had an impressive showing or exciting fight (the Tauresivicius being especially boring).  He holds wins over Javi Vazquez and Diego Nunes and I expect he wins comfortably here.

• Paid Members

Warren is class, never in a dull fight and a brilliant self-marketer. It's all abit tongue-in-cheek but there's no denying the guys guts and determination in the cage. He's won a lot of fights he was expected to lose. The Galvao fight is a rematch, i can't recall the first one, i'll try watching it before Friday. Galvao is a guy who's class on the ground but stands and throws bombs, given his pedigree as a grappler i wouldn't be surprised to see Warren try and trade, could be exciting. For the record...Galvao's decision loss to Warren in the first fight was awarded Sherdog's 'Robbery of the Year' in 2011.

This is a decent looking show, the Tokoro signing is a bit of a weird one, he's lost 2 in a row and hasn't been that active and is 37 years old, it's a bit of a head scratcher. He was always exciting back in the day though so it could make for some good fights.

this is Saturday too...

wGPuEhl.jpg

Justin Gaethje vs. Luis Palomino (lightweight title)

Matt Hamill vs. Thiago Silva (light heavyweight tourney opening round)
Jake Huen vs. Teddy Holder (light heavyweight tourney reserve bout)
Timur Valiev vs. Ed West

that's the main card. Not sure what to make of Hamill/Silva. Hamill seems to be a guy intenet on destroying his legacy one fight at a time, he's looking horrible since retirement and with him dropping down to WSOF i can't see him coming in any better prepared than he was for his awful last WSOF run. As for Thiago Silva, fans hate him, he blows hot and cold in the cage, who knows?

However...Gaethje/Palomino will likely be the most exciting fight of the weekend. I bump on about Gaethje all the time, so good to watch. Whatever i've seen of Palomino has been exciting as well, a come forward slugger. If i had to recommend one fight to watch this weekend, this would be the one.

Warren is class, never in a dull fight and a brilliant self-marketer. It's all abit tongue-in-cheek but there's no denying the guys guts and determination in the cage. He's won a lot of fights he was expected to lose. The Galvao fight is a rematch, i can't recall the first one, i'll try watching it before Friday. Galvao is a guy who's class on the ground but stands and throws bombs, given his pedigree as a grappler i wouldn't be surprised to see Warren try and trade, could be exciting. For the record...Galvao's decision loss to Warren in the first fight was awarded Sherdog's 'Robbery of the Year' in 2011.

Warren's defeat of Joe Soto was a tremendous come from behind victory and after getting hammered for the first round he then stops him in the second.

Regarding the Galvao fight I didn't realise it was a rematch until you mentioned.  Checking my DVD listings I scored the first fight for Galvao 29-28, giving him rounds one and two.  In my notes (sorry David!), I called it a terrible decision and all three judges scored it for Warren, one even giving him it 30-27.

• Paid Members

Mart Hamill vs Thiago Silva again? Why? Their first fight was both guys' last fight in the UFC and it was pretty cack as I recall. Hamill looked shot to fuck and Silva seemed bloated and gassed within a round or so. Silva won handily but it was the kind of fight where both guys looked so lethargic that both their stock seemed to drop.

Great news on Bellator and BAMMA being on Spike over here. It'll make it much easier for me to follow when I can just Sky+ it. Can never be arsed to look online for torrents and stuff anymore.

I guess the question to ask is should a scream of pain count as a verbal submission. I don’t think it should and I think it’s quite ridiculous that screaming in pain, often an involuntary act, counts as wilfully giving up. I think you should be able to scream in pain as much as you want to and that submitting should be kept to physically tapping out or verbally saying that you tap.

• Paid Members

Ha, I've said that for ages. It's uncanny, isn't it? Especially when you see pictures of Dynamite with a shaved head, like here;

Dynamite1.jpg

I mean, that is Thiago Silva's face, isn't it?

Same face, same fetish for steroids, both like pulling guns on their missus as well...allegedly. Both proper cunts.

• Paid Members

I guess the question to ask is should a scream of pain count as a verbal submission. I don’t think it should and I think it’s quite ridiculous that screaming in pain, often an involuntary act, counts as wilfully giving up. I think you should be able to scream in pain as much as you want to and that submitting should be kept to physically tapping out or verbally saying that you tap.

Yeah, I get what you mean but I'm glad the fight was stopped when it was. Warren looked clearly beat to me and the ref effectively saved him from himself. I want to see who the better fighter is, not somewhere suffer serious injury. If you're in a submission hold that you can't get out of, you're no less a loser for refusing to tap out. Same goes for when you see fighters allow themselves to go unconcious rather than submit, it just doesn't make sense to me. Seeing someone needlessly made uncious is bad enough, with a leg or arm submission it would be even worse to watch.

Also, as was mentioned on the commentary, if the fighters have been primed beforehand that an uncontrolled scream whilst in a submission hold counts as a verbal tap, then there's no real arguement. Thems the rules.

I'm with David about Warren though. Got to be one of the most annoying people in MMA. Somebody needs to tell him that Mike Tyson beat him to the nickname "baddest man on the planet". He just comes over so forced and fake, he's trying way too hard.

I enjoyed this card though. LC Davis / Tokoro is well worth a watch ... just stop before the interviews at the end (major teeth damage!)

Of course it should! You've clearly never been put in a situation where you can't use your hands to tap. Sometimes a scream of pain is all that you can muster, not "excuse me kind sir, I tap out"