Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

Looking into it One FC's show is airing on tape delay on premier sports Friday Night/early Saturday morning at like 1:00 AM. Laughable really. It's on at a decent time over here and they appear to have nothing else of importance on when it would air live. So certainly will not be signing up for the month to watch. Will be on the torrent sites quicker.

• Paid Members

Eddie Alvarez was on the MMA Hour yesterday and he made his intentions very clear. He said flat out that he wants the Will Brooks fight because he thinks he's an easier fight than Chandler, and that he's trying to get out of Bellator as easy as possible. I'm sure there's an element of him wanting to stick it to Bellator as well by fucking up their lightweight division on the way out the door.

It'll suck if we don't get a conclusion to the Alvarez vs Chandler trilogy but you can't blame Alvarez for wanting out of Bellator as smoothly as possible. Not that I think Brooks is an easy fight. I don't think Alvarez thinks he's an easy fight either, just easier than Chandler. Who knows, maybe in the future we could even see Alvarez vs Chandler 3 in the UFC?

Alvarez has even come out and said that if he ends up fighting Chandler it's because Bellator want it that way and that Brooks has earned the title shot and should get it.

• Paid Members

Sorry for the triple post but this is a bit of a shock if true. According to Greg Savage at Sherdog (the news bit not the forum), the Bellator PPV 'cleared 100,000 buys.'

http://m.sherdog.com/news/news/Source-Bell...-PPV-Buys-68461

Greg Savage @TheSavageTruth

I know 100k seems crazy. Hell, I predicted it would do about 25-30k after the main event fell out. Source is legit, we'll see if info is.

I thought 50K would be good. If they've really done over 100K that's incredible for them.

Edited by wandshogun09

I am not that shocked

It had Rampage and Tito on the bill who are proven drawing cards in the United States. Affliction got numbers around that area in the MMA boom period with lesser stars.

The MMA PPV climate might have decreased, but Bellator were offering 2 fighters who are bigger names Stateside than anyone Affliction or Pride ever offered (Rampage pre-UFC does not count, he was not a star stateside until he knocked out Chuck). There are fans out there who still know the UFC/MMA product for what it was in 2007-2010. They will know Rampage and Tito as the real stars of MMA.

I agree with Bono, it is a short-term high. However if they bring Coker in things could be different. In 2009-2012, Coker created stars in Strikeforce. Rousey, Diaz and others were all promoted to the best best of their ability by Coker. Frank Shamrock knew Coker was the key to his commercially successful comeback fights (he did not trust anyone else, in retrospect Frank was probably right to remain a big fish in a small pond)

The likes of Diaz, Cung Le, Rousey and even Shields turned up in the UFC with high value partially due to how Coker promoted then. Compare that to Ben Askren who Dana wants no part of. Shields is a lot more boring and unmarketable than Askren is.

In general it is good news for MMA. Bellator becoming a viable alternative is something to be celebrated.

Edited by jimufctna24

The likes of Diaz, Cung Le, Rousey and even Shields turned up in the UFC with high value partially due to how Coker promoted then. Compare that to Ben Askren who Dana wants no part of. Shields is a lot more boring and unmarketable than Askren is.

I don't keep up with the Observer Newsletter anywhere near like I once did but Meltzer always used to rave about Askren. He said that the guy was almost tailor-made for pro-wrestling and has never seen anyone as charismatic as him in the NCAAs and would talk about how the fans would all turn up to watch his matches wearing big afros and headbands. I know that his style of fighting didn't appeal to everyone but I always found him fascinating to watch and it was hardly as if that style was on par with a Jake Shields or say a Cole Konrad. There was also something about him that would make the average want to see him just get beaten up, something intangible that is hard to pin point and that only certain guys have. The Diazs and Koschecks of the world had it but primarily from how they behaved and from running their mouths (moreso in Diaz's case), but Askren didn't have to say a thing and just watching him as the fighters are been giving their final instructions going nose to nose with his opponent and there was an air about him. Real shame that he's in One FC and the chances of seeing him in the UFC are next to none. Dana has always been pretty smart when it comes to making money, whether it is bringing in the likes of Kimbo or using guys who he said 'would never fight in the UFC again', it seems strange that he can't see what Askren has to offer them.

• Paid Members

oh yeh Askren's the man, ive always felt he has star quality and clearly understands the fight game to a degree where he can make people want to watch his fights despite his 'boring if it needs to be' style.

Looking forward to his OneFC debut.

Askren could serve as a modern day Matt Hughes (hence a more colorful verison)

One of the best things UFC did during their 2005 boom was present Hughes for what he really is, a smug unlikable prick. It was such a removal from the bland country boy who happened to be a great Welterweight fighter (the sports best when BJ Penn was not rolling him about, and when GSP was still green)

Hughes is one of the best examples of "pay to see me get my tail whipped" in UFC history.

How Dana does not see the same opportunity in Askren is beyond me. I think Coker would have done a better job promoting Bellator and its stars, so that they were worth more value to the UFC.

• Paid Members

There's also meant to be a bit of history between Askren and Johny Hendricks from the amateurs. They only wrestled a couple of times but I'm sure I remember reading that there was a real rivalry there and they disliked each other.

He's definitely got the Hughes quality. And a bit of a mild Chael to him. Chael's not that exciting in the cage if you're not invested in him. If you switched on during the Buffer intros for a Chael fight and you'd never seen nor heard of him, you wouldn't be blown away or excited for many of his fights. Yeah the first Anderson fight was dramatic and the Shogun fight was short and impressive, but in general his style isn't that exciting. What makes Chael's fights must-see is the context. You've heard him talking shit for months and you want to see him either back it up or fall flat on his face. He's usually already planted the seeds for his next fight as well so there's interest in that sense. It gives his fights drama and importance they probably wouldn't have on their own merit.

I think Askren could be that kind of guy. He's got that 'fuck you' attitude that a lot of people hate and some people like. I don't find him that fun to watch (he's no Shields but it's not that exciting) although to be fair his last few fights I thought were pretty enjoyable. Still, I want to see his One FC debut and I don't even know who he's fighting. Imagine if he was fighting Hendricks, or Lawler, or Woodley, or Lombard? The need to see the fight would be amplified tenfold. And he'd probably up his game promoting the fight.

People still bought more GSP PPVs than any other and he wasn't an exciting fighter. He was dragged into a few great fights at the end (Hendricks, Condit) but he was fairly dull for the most part after about 2008/09. Didn't stop people paying to see him. Askren could be the bad guy GSP. Not saying he'd do anywhere near as well on PPV, but I think he could do well for the UFC. And at a time where they need guys like that. I'm not a fan of the guy but it's a travesty he's rotting in One FC fighting these some fuckers. We don't know how good he is but he's better than that and he's not being given the chance to prove it.

• Paid Members

It fucks me off no end that Askren isn't in the UFC. I actually think Askren would wipe the floor with pretty much the entire UFC division and more than likely Dana knew this.

I still don't feel that the defining factor in Dana not signing him was that he was Bellator's current champ, but more the fact he wouldn't want a fighter grapple fucking his way to the title, and probably with ease and making everyone else look like chumps.

Johny Hendricks was apparently hated in college wrestling and he played up to it, there is an article about him and Ben Askren switching roles when they got into MMA (Askren was seen as more exciting with his funky wrestling style)

The thing with Ben Askren is the only wrestler he has fought in MMA was Jay Heiron and that fight could have went either way, the UFC's WW division has loads of wrestlers who know how to strike and he would be forced into a kickboxing match he would probably lose badly.

The Bellator PPV was promoted by Spike, they are still quite a popular network, Affliction and Pride never really had a TV network promote their fights.

think the actual article has been removed but here's some of the article someone posted on sherdog.

During his stint in NCAA wrestling, Johny Hendricks was probably the most disliked wrestler at the time, if not in the history of NCAA wrestling. He was arrogant, he was outspoken, and he was the biggest villain by far in college wrestling. It doesn't help that he won the most controversial NCAA finals match in history his junior year on some crazy calls by the ref; then directly after the match ran around the arena with the Oklahoma State flag with boos RAINING on him from the whole crowd. He was very good though. Clutch is the perfect word, he was a 2 time NCAA champ, 3 times finalist, and they say he always shined brightest on the big stage. But unless you were an Oklahoma State fan, Johny Hendricks was someone that you DESPISED.

Then there is the guy with the curly afro, and the funky wrestling style. Ben Askren was the golden boy of wrestling. He was the face of wrestling. 2 time champ, 4 time finalist in NCAAs, a record of 153-8 in college. Won the Hodge award (like the Heisman/MVP of NCAA Wrestling) not once, but twice. Was always showed as humble (from the media, apparently not behind the scenes but still was the golden boy), had a weird style of wrestling that not many people had seen before. You ask many wrestlers, they would say Ben Askren was one of the most liked wrestlers ever. The afro, his persona, and he just brought an excitement to the sport no one else had before, it all worked for him. He must have been on the cover of USA Wrestling Magazine a dozen times. To this day more wrestling fans like Askren then Hendricks, and Askren has his own brand in wrestling. Pretty sure his own wrestling gym/camp, and stays very active in the wrestling community.

• Paid Members

Askren/Hieron was a really good fight, check it out if you get chance. Askren scored a first round arm-triangle in OneFC, dude's finishing fights now!

oh, and one for the old Pride FC fans, Joachim Hansen was back in action for Road FC yesterday for the only second time since 2011, fought a rematch against a dude names Doo Won Seo that he beat last here...

oh and a walkaway soccer kick KO from One FC:

Majee_Overall___vs.___Bruno_Pucci.gif

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

Bellator have a stop-gap summer show this evening, it's looking a lot unlike a Bellator show because it lost its original title fight headliners but for anyone who was a fan of Pride there's a couple of fighters on there that should peak your interest:

b121_11x17_pr.jpg

MAIN CARD (Spike TV, 9 p.m. ET)

Austen Heidlage (205.7) vs. Philipe Lins (205.7) – light heavyweight tournament opening round

James Thompson (260.3) vs. Eric Prindle (264.8)

Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou (204.8) vs. Terry Davinney (205.8)

Carlos Eduardo (205.2) vs. Egidijus Valavicius (205.2) – light heavyweight tournament opening round

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike.com, 7 p.m. ET)

Stephen Banaszak (145.9) vs. Treston Thomison (145.9)

Cortez Coleman (185.7) vs. Joe Vedepo (185.6)

Kelly Anundson (206.3)* vs. Rodney Wallace (205.9) – light heavyweight tournament opening round

Jamelle Jones (205.8) vs. Ray Sloan (202.4)

Matt Jones (188.4) vs. Bubba McDaniel (189.8)

Steve Garcia (139.2) vs. Cody Walker (140.2)#

Guillermo Ayme (168) vs. William Florentino (170.8)

James-2.jpg

any other reason needed?

Thompson is actually on a 4 fight win-streak (with 1 no contest) and unbelievably seems to be improving as a fighter. The layoff may actually have done him pretty good too, he's promising that someone's getting KO'd and whilst Prindle is very limited the guy is huge and can punch so don't be surprised to see Thompson laid out again.

Bubba McDaniel is buried on the prelims too, i didn't even realised he'd been released by the UFC.

oh and Cage Warriors biggest show of the year goes down tomorrow night (live on Setanta/Premier Sports over here), i was planning on watching it live but im off out now so i'll record it for Sunday, they are promoting it as one massive main card but it's the top half that holds the interest for me. Should be worth checking out:

o6uAtdj.jpg

main CARD 1

MMAjunkie, 4 p.m. ET

Stevie Ray vs. Curt Warburton - for vacant lightweight title

Jack Marshman vs. Bola Omoyele

Ben Alloway vs. Mohsen Bahari

Jake Bostwick vs. Simeon Thoresen

Bruno "B.C." Carvalho vs. Jack Mason

Martin Delaney vs. Damir Hadzovic

main CARD 2

MMAjunkie, 1 p.m. ET

Jack Hermansson vs. Norman Paraisy - for vacant middleweight title

Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. Rosi Sexton

Damien Brown vs. Tim Wilde

Arnold Allen vs. Marcin Wrzosek

Suleiman Bouhata vs. Graham Turner

Jason Cooledge vs. Brad Wheeler

wondering if any Cage Warriors fighters miss weight this time, they've put a ruling in that means that if you miss weight you get fined 60% of your purse! 60%!!! which pretty much means that by the time you tax the remaining 40% you're left with peanuts...should definitely be the kick up the arse the fighters need.

Edited by Ebb