Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

this weekend is fucking loaded with MMA and Boxing, so some of shit may pass you by, but i got Sunday-Monday off work and i plan on digesting this shit!

BELLATOR-105.jpg

Bellator 106:

Saad Awad vs. Will Brooks - lightweight tourney semifinal

Alexander Sarnavskiy vs. Ricardo Tirloni - lightweight tourney semifinal

Siala-Mou Siliga vs. Ron Sparks

Eugene Fadiora vs. Andreas Spang

image1044372.jpeg

World Series of Fighting 6

MAIN CARD (NBC Sports Network, 9 p.m. ET)

Josh Burkman vs. Steve Carl - for inaugural welterweight title

Carson Beebe vs. Marlon Moraes

Marcelo Alfaya vs. Jon Fitch

Justin Gaethje vs. Dan Lauzon

PRELIMINARY CARD (MMAjunkie.com, 6 p.m. ET)

Pablo Alfonso vs. Miguel Torres

Luiz Firmino vs. Jacob Volkmann

Francisco France vs. Hans Stringer

Josh Rettinghouse vs. Alexis Vila

Nick LoBosco vs. Fabio Mello

Chad Robichaux vs. Andrew Yates

Alexandre Pimentel vs. Jade Porter

Chuck in the UFC over here, plus the Kell Brook show and the Bernard Hopkins show and you've got a mental weekend.

Some quality action to be found amongst those two cards, notably the return of Jon Fitch, the inaugral WSOF 170lb Champ being crown, Marlon Moraes (arguably the top 135lb prospect in the world).

oh and Might FUCKING Mo is fighting on Bellator again.

• Paid Members

If you've got Virgin, Premier Sports is free for the next few months on channel 551. It's mainly ice hockey and rugby league, but they've got a live Cage Warriors show tonight:

Welterweight: Bruno Carvalho (170lbs) vs. Gael Grimaud (170.2lbs)

Middleweight: Faycal Hucin (186.6lbs)* vs. Che Mills (185.6lbs)

Bantamweight: Ronnie Mann (136lbs)** vs. Marat Pekov (135.6lbs)

Welterweight: Jack Mason (170.8lbs) vs. Vladimir Opanasenko (169.2lbs)

Light-heavyweight: Mohamed Ali (205lbs) vs. Prince Aounallah (204.8lbs)

Featherweight: Sergey Grechka (145.4lbs) vs. Jean N

• Paid Members

I've never warmed to Miguel Torres at all. He always came across to me like he had a proper dickhead vibe about him. Exciting fighter but I wouldn't say I'm a fan.

Hoping Mighty Mo wins tonight. And I'm actually pulling for Jon Fitch to get back in the win column on WSOF. I've really enjoyed his two fights with Josh Burkman and a win tomorrow would probably set up the rubber match nicely.

The Bellator PPV is fast approaching now then. Still not very arsed about Rampage vs Tito. If it was on a UFC show no-one would really care at this point either, so it's not a case of being anti Bellator or anything. I'm not against the fight or anything and I understand why they booked it. It's just not an interesting fight to me. Especially in 2013. Hopefully it'll be decent. The last thing Bellator need now is to have a stinker with two has-beens huffing and puffing their way through the PPV debut main event.

Chandler vs Alvarez 2 is where it's at. Can't bastard wait for that. The first fight was epic and with their styles, I'd be surprised if this isn't something similar. Its a fight you could throw into a UFC PPV co-main event spot or a FOX show and it wouldn't be out of place. I like Bellator but I wish these two were mixing it with the UFC 155ers. Without trying to put a negative spin on it, as awesome as Chandler vs Alvarez 2 should be, there's not a lot left for either of them in Bellator after this IMO.

If you've got Virgin, Premier Sports is free for the next few months on channel 551. It's mainly ice hockey and rugby league, but they've got a live Cage Warriors show tonight:

Welterweight: Bruno Carvalho (170lbs) vs. Gael Grimaud (170.2lbs)

Middleweight: Faycal Hucin (186.6lbs)* vs. Che Mills (185.6lbs)

Bantamweight: Ronnie Mann (136lbs)** vs. Marat Pekov (135.6lbs)

Welterweight: Jack Mason (170.8lbs) vs. Vladimir Opanasenko (169.2lbs)

Light-heavyweight: Mohamed Ali (205lbs) vs. Prince Aounallah (204.8lbs)

Featherweight: Sergey Grechka (145.4lbs) vs. Jean N

• Paid Members

The only (kind of) save would have been to book Rampage vs King Mo instead. That would've been an improvement on Rampage vs Tito anyway. Still wouldn't have drawn though. This is probably a blessing in disguise to be honest. Bellator really don't have the kind of roster you can do PPV with successfully at the moment. They've got a load of really good fighters, they put on a quality product, but PPV is a big step and I don't think they were ready for it.

There goes Alvarez's PPV points, eh? Not that it would have done enough buys for the PPV cut to kick in anyway, but this just further proves how ridiculous it was to suggest Bellator matched the UFC contract. Alvarez would have been on UFC 158, the biggest selling PPV of 2013 so far. He'd have made more money in that one night than he's probably made his entire career combined. Bellator stuck him on a PPV that relied on Tito Ortiz not getting injured. And now it's off. Yeah, they really matched that offer.

It's a good thing though. I doubt many would've coughed up the money to watch Rampage vs Tito. At least now they might tune in to Spike and watch Chandler vs Alvarez. That fight reaching as many eyeballs as possible is a much better thing for Bellator than putting people off with the PPV charge and a 2013 Tito Ortiz headliner.

Hopefully Tito just stays retired now.

• Paid Members

Bellator needs to be the gimmick promotion. Like those old mental MMA fights you used to get in Japan featuring Alberto Del Rio vs Cro Cop and stuff like that. Or where Jushin Liger should be getting his face smashed in wearing a mask. Bellator should have Kimbo Slice vs Bob Sapp and promote it via angles on Impact. Bellator will never have any credibility. They might as well run with it. Do Shamrock vs Shamrock. Rampage vs. Mr T. All mad shit. They should allow their fighters to wear face paint and tassels as well. Have a Tag team MMA division. Put a subscription for a years worth of painkillers on top of the Ultimate X and send Tito and Ken out there.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

In all seriousness, Kimbo Slice, Shamrock vs Shamrock and other novelties is probably where Bellator would get the most financial gains, if they put it on TV. No one is going to pay to see stuff like that in this landscape, but they may watch it on a quiet night for free.

The way the attendance, pay scale and reality show have gone, I have no faith in Bellator being a viable legit number 2 MMA company. I just hope the likes of Mo and Chandler go to the UFC now, where I used to hope they would help build Bellator.

Bellator has made me appreciate Strikeforce more, one of the few major MMA promotions not run by Del Boy Trotter.