The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Thing is, BVB have the same problem a lot of bands have (and the main problem I think in bands getting to 'arena' level); they're marketed at the teen demographic. It makes sense on one level, as teens are most likely to buy your shirts and wristbands and CD's or whatever. But the wider problem is that the teen market are, on the whole, accidentally pretentious. They act the same way as 30 year old old-school Mastodon fans without even knowing. They demand ownership of the band, they want it to belong to them and the sub-genre they identify themselves with and will reject it if it moves beyond that.

Which is a massive problem. The fact that one metal fan and another metal fan can define themselves so differently as to not even relate to one another means that it's going to be difficult for any band to build the bridges to fill massive arenas.

As far as BVB are concerned, they look like bell ends. They really do. I've only heard one song of theirs and my overwhelming opinions are that they look like bell ends. That said, the chorus is catchy as hell.

• Paid Members

Black Veil Brides actually sound nothing like i expected them too. I aint offended by them, i understand the whole marketing aspect or things and i can see why people love that kinda thing, i aint a fan.

The newest one is Motionless In White, ahhh they are fucking horrid. My problem with them is that they've got the goth Marilyn Manson look going on which is fair enough, but musically they are so fucking average it blows my mind that they are getting so popular. They sound like 50,000 other metalcore bands but cause they wear makeup they've pulled away from the pack.

Some bands do seem to try to hard, 'motion in white' look like they do but I hav'nt heard any of there stuff.

BVB seemed the same but I listened to an interview and they're big fans of the 80s Glam scene like Crue, Poison etc so its a tribute and new twist on what they grew up on, but I can see why some dont like them.

Some of these skinny twat bands piss me off, cant really pick any names but they pretty much fill the Kerrang calendar if anyone has it, they wear skinny jeans and look about like they weigh 5 stones between them and look about as 'metal' as a marshmallow.

• Paid Members

Seeing who the next generation of festival headliners should prove interesting. It's a no brainer that the Metallica's, Maidens, Rammsteins etc wont be around forever but for fests to carry on the way they have been it'll need a massive change of expectation levels from the festival going public as well as festival bookers/promoters & I think that the Sonisphere debacle might set this in motion.

The general consensus has seemed to be that in order to headline a festival you need to either be an Arena/Stadium act or in other cases, a previously popular band who have reformed. Both Kiss & Queen have done big arena tours & Fath No More (although the novelty of their reformation has since worn off) have only done a handful of UK shows since getting back together. On paper, this should've ticked enough boxes to get Sonisphere a decent crowd (bear in mind their sell out figure was only 60k). The fact that supposedly 'safe bet' headliners with existing fan-bases didn't pay off for them, previously festivals have been in 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' situation when pushing bands up to headline spots. Download gave Slipknot the chance in 2009, 10 years after the band formed, a band who were playing Arenas since their 2nd album! Sonisphere gave Biffy the chance last year. A band who'd done their first successful arena tour & arguably the current biggest British rock band out there who hadn't headlined before (their last tour out drew BFMV's). Soni took a lot of stick for Biffy, what's a promoter to do?

If bands like Deftones, Korn & Limp Bizkit never reached headliner status (and likely never will) then who, realistically could be accepted by the rock/metal fraternity as a legit, new headliner? A7X are often touted, their last tour saw them doing small arenas or 2 nights at Academy venues (4.5k total) & that was a double-headliner with Stone Sour. Korn are now playing Academy's & the Deftone's couldn't sell out the Manchester Apollo on the back of a critically acclaimed album with a big name (Coheed & Cambria) support. Machine Head's first arena tour was widely regarded as a failure (despite them drawing 3 times as many people as Korn & twice as many as Deftones) as they didn't sell out the Arenas. The 'big' bands in metal currently are playing Apollo sized venues at best. I think in the next few years people will have to get used to the idea of festie headliners simply being much 'smaller' acts.

• Moderators

Did Limp Bizkit really never reach headliner status?

I know I'm kinda out of touch with rock/metal but I thought they were really big and would be accepted as a headliner.

Are Linkin Park still together? They're headliner material, right?

Your point still stands anyway - there's not many bands to fill them spots.

• Paid Members

Limp Bizkit were huge! 1st Metal band to get a Number 1 UK single since Iron Maiden (Bring your daughter to the slaughter IIRC). It's believed that Limp were booked to headline Download one year but pulled out, they subsequently split, got back together & IMO will never play above sub-headliner.

Limp Bizkit never headlined a festival over here to my recollection. The closest they ever came was an all-day show at Milton Keynes Bowl which was set to feature Outcast, Godsmack and Disturbed on the bill also, bt was cancelled due to Durst throwing his back out.

Linkin Park have headlined in the past, so not really a new act. Its a tough one to call because once the giants of the genre are gone, its hrd to see who people will get excited about seeing in those headline spots.

Edited by KingOfMetal

• Paid Members
It was a big free gig at Finsbury Park in 2003. It was after Wes Borland quit the band, they gave away 40k tickets for it & funnily enough, Biffy Clyro supported.

IIRC that was specifically as a making-it-up thing for not making it Download.

I'm currently obsessed with KISS.

I think part of it is that I don't really understand it. For years before I heard them I had this impression of them being the dark overlords of extreme metal. I'd seen the imagery, heard of an album called 'Destroyer' and seen an interview with Kerry King where he called KISS his biggest inspiration. Then, when I finally heard them they were just this really flamboyant, colourful pop-rock band with some really big, arena tunes. It's weird.

I still don't think Gene Simmons in a suit of armour, wearing Black Metal corpse paint and spitting blood really fits with 'GOD GAVE ROCK N ROLL TO YA...'

Either way, I love it.

More bands should be an event or a brand. It's way more fun.

Looking at this years Headliner and Sub Headline acts i can see what people mean about lack of headline material. Metallica, Sabbath, Soundgarden and Prodigy have all been around for a while.

I personally feel we will end up going the way of the yanks and going more day festivals. But can i say did anyone catch the Jagermeister Tour? Skindred + Therapy? for a fiver was the biggest bargain ever.