The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Moderators
VDOP

Trendkill (An amazing achievment as the band didn't get on so much they recorded this in different studios in separate states!)

Driven (Drags a bit after the first four tracks, I think. Slaughtered and Shedding Skin are very good, 25 Years is utterly tedious.)

CFH

101 (A very good arrangement, but the AQ lets it down a lot)

I've not listened to Steel properly after owning it all this time.

Seriously? Part of the reason this is my favourite album of theirs is because it's so cohesive as a whole album..

Whoever the producer was did an excellent job because the pace is just perfect (as you say, Far Beyond Driven is a bit of a drag in places - I still think it's good but it could have really done with trimming the fat a bit).

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
VDOP

Trendkill (An amazing achievment as the band didn't get on so much they recorded this in different studios in separate states!)

Driven (Drags a bit after the first four tracks, I think. Slaughtered and Shedding Skin are very good, 25 Years is utterly tedious.)

CFH

Seriously? Part of the reason this is my favourite album of theirs is because it's so cohesive as a whole album..

Yarp - Phil recorded the vocals in New Orleans, the band recorded in Dallas. That's what the Wiki says, anyway.

/backs down slowly at dubious citation

VDOP

CFH

Whoever the producer was did an excellent job because the pace is just perfect (as you say, Far Beyond Driven is a bit of a drag in places - I still think it's good but it could have really done with trimming the fat a bit).

As with all Pantera releases, with the exception of Reinventing The Steel, production was handled by Terry Date and Vinnie Paul

posted this in the upcoming gigs thread, but figured it might as well go in here too

'RAMMSTEIN: MADE IN GERMANY 1995-2011'ARENA TOUR for 2012'Rammstein are to play:

London O2 Arena February 24

Birmingham LG Arena 25

Dublin O2 Arena 27

Newcastle Metro Arena 29

Manchester MEN Arena March 1

Nottingham Capital FM Arena 2

source: totalrock.com

tickets on sale 9am Friday 8th July

I went to the last arena tour in Manchester, and Rammstein put on one of the best shows Ive ever seen, both in terms of he set and the whole staging show they put on. Can not recommend them enough

This month is pretty good for metal releases (well my tastes anyway).

July 11th - Enter Shikari - Live From Planet Earth

July 18th: Malefice - Awaken The Tides

Decapitated - Carnival Is Forever

Suicide Silence - The Black Crown

July 25th - Iwrestledabearonce - Ruining It For Everyone

And with Black Dahlia Murder - Ritual and Of Mice And Men - The Flood recently released, the next few weeks might be expensive for me.

This month is pretty good for metal releases (well my tastes anyway).

July 11th - Enter Shikari - Live From Planet Earth

July 18th: Malefice - Awaken The Tides

Suicide Silence - The Black Crown

July 25th - Iwrestledabearonce - Ruining It For Everyone

And with Black Dahlia Murder - Ritual and Of Mice And Men - The Flood recently released, the next few weeks might be expensive for me.

I am literally going to be purchasing every single one of those as well. Goodbye next month's wages!

A big fat euch to majority of the bands mentioned above. Not my scene at all unfortunately and I have pity for the youth of today (then again my youth was the peak of nu-metal.....)

Got Rammstein tickets for me and my fiancee. It's going to be her first time seeing them and she is crazy about this band and absolutely loves them.

Listened to some of that already and it's fucking awful compared to thier other stuff, it's the new vocalist they have, he sounds so so weak.

I'd recommend the new Exhumed album if you like Death Metal, i'd say it's a lot more structured than some of thier old stuff with much better instrumentation and it really helps.

Edited by Merzbow

Okay, apologies in advance if this is a boring topic to all of you who have listened to any new metal albums in the last 5 years but...

I dug out my Pantera albums recently and have been listening through them, and I was curious as to what order in which people rank them. Or do you think they're signficantly different that you would find it too hard to rank them?

For me it goes -

1) Great Southern Trendkill

2) Vulgar Display of Power

3) Cowboys from Hell

4) Far Beyond Driven

5) Reinventing the Steel

I've not gone any earlier than Cowboys, nor included 101 Proof as it's not a studio album but feel free to play by your own criteria..

Pantera (and Life of Agony) are my fave bands of all time....

1 - Far Beyond Driven

There aren't many albums that I can sing in their entirety (even if it does kill my throat) it's just full of so much self reflecting anger and hatred at the outside world. For pure emotion I don't think many bands have matched this album. At least for me anyway.

2 - VDOP

I do love this, but there are a few songs I'd happily skip on it, 'This Love' and 'Hollow' are probably my faves on this. Most people don't identify with that for some reason. Oh and Love Walk, but it got so overplayed.

3 - GSTK

There are a couple of stand out songs on this album, 'Floods', the whole 'Suicide Note' and '13 steps' do it for me, but there are too many tracks that feel like fillers.

4 - Cowboys from Hell

Has possibly the two best Pantera songs ever written on it in 'Cemetery Gates' and 'Domination' but some of the album is left over from the more glammy days, while they are utter comedy and fun to listen too, I don't enjoy them enough to raise this any higher.

5 - Reinventing the Steel

There are songs I like, but it's all a bit one directional for a Pantera album.

The best thing about Pantera is they had all the power they needed, but could also have some 'crooner' moments that fit right in to their albums/songs. There are other bands that do this, but IMHO none have ever done it as well as Pantera.

Metal has been in a dreadful state for the past 5 years or so.

• Paid Members

Listened to some of that already and it's fucking awful compared to thier other stuff, it's the new vocalist they have, he sounds so so weak.

:confused: ive been looking forward to it, i saw the new band live and they were quality...granted they were playing old material.