The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

This has quite probably flown under everyone's radar, but I've just got to share it.

The Romanian band Goodbye to Gravity launched their second album 'Mantras of War' a couple of weeks ago and threw a free party to launch it at the Colectiv nightclub in Bucharest. During the party the pyro malfunctioned and caught ablaze with a load of polyurethane lining, setting the place on fire. Both guitarists were killed outright, the drummer died on Sunday and the bass player died yesterday, leaving just the singer. It's one of those horrible things that just leaves you feeling ".... what?" but I can't help but get a Spinal Tap vibe off the whole thing. 

And what's even worse is that the album's quite catchy too - link (Spotify)

Ex Motorhead drummer Phil Taylor has died aged 61.

The band’s former guitarist ‘Fast’ Eddie Clarke broke the news on his Facebook page which was later confirmed to TeamRock by Motorhead's management.

He says: “My dear friend and brother passed away last night. He had been ill for some time but that does not make it any easier when the time finally comes.

“I have known Phil since he was 21 and he was one hell of a character. Fortunately we made some fantastic music together and I have many many fond memories of our time together. Rest in Peace, Phil!”

‘Philthy Animal’ Taylor enjoyed two stints with Lemmy and co between 1975-1984 and again from 1987-1992. He appeared on the band’s debut album On Parole and played on a further 10 albums, including 1979’s Bomber, 1980's Ace Of Spades, and 1981 live album No Sleep ’Til Hammersmith.

He contributed to 1992 album March Or Die but departed the band during the recording process. The album was completed by drummers Tommy Aldridge and current sticksman Mikkey Dee.

No cause of death has so far been confirmed.

Suicidal Tendencies have been announced as the support for Slipknot's UK dates next year. An interesting pairing if there ever was to be had.

Disturbed and Nightwish have also been confirmed for Download, which I hadn't seen mentioned but I think may have happened at the same time as Motörhead, Korn, Deftones and Megadeth being announced

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Deftones have cancelled their European tour in wake of the Paris terrorist attacks. Members of the band were in the Bataclan venue when the shootings happened and the band were due to play there the day after. I have a ticket for the show but given the circumstances its completely understandable.

Edited by Ebb

Yeah can't say that I blame them, especially after the rumoured second attack yesterday that sent everyone into a panic yesterday that turned out to be nothing. Saw it on last nights BBC News, the city is still very much on edge

Footage from the Eagles Of Death Metal show the moment the shootings happened (NSFW)- Paris attacks: Hail of bullets heard as band plays on stage

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34825382

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Seems tomorrows Bloodstock announcement is Anthrax, Satryicon and Gojira! The band pages for each band were up on the site (just no links to them), but have since been taken down (once we started discussing it in the Rock Soc group - All the main BOA crew and management are regulars in the group also). Anthrax are main stage on the Sunday. Didn't take note of where the other 2 fall.

EDIT: Looks like Gojira (Sat main), Satyricon (Sun main) and Anthrax (Sun main)

Edited by truthofsin