The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

I see your point about them wanting to remain relevant, but 'The Burning Red' was a case of Machine Head bowing to label pressure at the time. The early 00's, Roadrunner were trying to compete with the nu-metal bands on the majors and were never going to win (Fred Durst showing up on Soulfly's 'Primative', Cypress Hill guesting on Fear Factory's 'Digimortal', anyone remember Dislocated Styles? No, didn't think so). If Rob didn't put his tracksuit on, he wouldn't have an outlet to put his album out

I only remember Dislocated Styles for having an album called Pin the Tail On The Honkey, which made me laugh.

Just a couple of minor corrections (sorry to be cunty). Fred Durst appeared on 'Bleed' which was on Soulfly's self titled album, not Primitive. Also, Cypress Hill and Fear Factory had the link of Christian Olde Wolbers playing bass for them and Soul Assassins rather than record company pressure.

My point is that while Machine Head have done great things for Metal, especially at times when Metal has needed a band to step up I don't think he can honestly be the judge and jury of which bands should be doing what when he has sacrificed himself and his band to the corporate machine and more than one occasion.

I suppose I don't like the sanctimonious, holier than thou crap from anyone let alone Metaller's, the people who turn to Metal because of social pressure making them want to step away from the 'norm'.

Not being cunty at all pal.

I could have sworn Bleed was on the second Soulfly album (the aforementioned 'Primative').

And you were rights out the Dislocated Styles album, they disappeared very quickly afterwards.

Roadrunner had some shockers at the turn of the century:

Dislocated Styles, Workhouse Movement, Dry Kill Logic, Five Pointe O, Ill Nino

Not being cunty at all pal.

I could have sworn Bleed was on the second Soulfly album (the aforementioned 'Primative').

And you were rights out the Dislocated Styles album, they disappeared very quickly afterwards.

Roadrunner had some shockers at the turn of the century:

Dislocated Styles, Workhouse Movement, Dry Kill Logic, Five Pointe O, Ill Nino

I don't think Ill Nino were thaaaaaaaat bad at first, the 'Rev/Rev' album was pretty good. They were shit there after though.

• Paid Members

Oh!!! Dry Kill Logic & The Workhorse Movement were quality, i got to see the latter as well, quality... was a big Roadrunner fan back in the day, if it was on Roadrunner i generally listened to it.

As for Ill Nino, i loved em at first but it all sounds so horribly dated...however, i saw them at like 2am at Hammerfest a couple of years ago and they were fucking brilliant (though i had about 20 beers at the time). Ill Nino of course have ex-Machine Head Arhue Luster in them now, who ironically is the reason Machine Heads fans point too as being responsible for their nu-metal stage.

The Burning Red is shit as well...i used to love it but i genuinely cannot listen to it now.

Edited by Ebb

I liked that Worhorse Movement album at the time (and much like you Ebb, would check pretty much anything on Roadrunner during that period), but man it is really fucking corny in hindsight.

They changed their name to American Youth or something like that, became a classic rock band and were still shit IIRC.

• Paid Members

Nah they became The Dirty Americans, it was only the one vocalist in that band i think. I still have the album haha.

Letlive. were quality, they've played pretty much the same set all tour so i saw the same as you. One of those bands that whilst aggressive give off a real positive vibe live, always a fan of that. Jason Butler definitely has star quality, he wasnt as mental as i expected and actually stayed on the stage but he's just got that natural charisma about him.

...bonus of the night though. After Letlive. finished we went in the Fuel Bar for a post-show beer, (which is dead opposite the Welsh Club), we at down for a drink and my one mate went into the other room for a piss, came back and says 'some band have just started in the there', so we walk in scott-free and fucking Biohazard are on stage!! Unreal! I thought the UK tour was cancelled and had no idea they were playing. They may be Evan Seinfeld-down but they were awesome, proper hot, sweaty hardcore show. It made my night.

• Paid Members

Haha, that's awesome! Letlive followed by a free Biohazard show. I saw Biohazard in 2011 at Download, really enjoyed them depsite as you say, no Evan. Real shame they're playing pub gigs now though.

I got tickets for the Trivium/Killswitch tour. KSE were awesome earlier this year at The Ritz so this should be good. It's a Saturday though so I'm guessing this will involve me getting a bit pissed & ending up running for a train. Getting too old for this shit.

I haven't listened to Trivium since the Shogun album, are they any good these days?

In Waves was very good and the new album, Vengeance Falls is also very enjoyable. David Draiman has actually done a decent job on production. Besides a couple of questionable vocal melodies, it flows very well and is never boring. The cover of Misfits' 'Skull...We Are 138' on the deluxe version is great fun