The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

went to see Gojira in Cardiff last night, 3rd time seeing em...if there's a tighter, better sounding live metal band on the planet i aint seen em. Just fucking crushing, they are a pretty unique sounding band and it just sounds so good in a live setting. Ridiculously good.

It was an all French bill which was cool, the two support bands (who id never heard of) Klone & Treplalium were fucking great as well, Trepalium sounded like Gojira's little brothers whilst Klone just kind of threw everything in one massive melodic pot and came out sounding like a mix of Tool, Karnivool, Incubus, Gojira and about 10 other bands, they were awesome.

Great bill, try checking it out.

Just saw Pure Love's free gig in Shoreditch tonight.

Unbelievably hipster and trendy with would-be rock-n-roll celebs knocking about, but Christ they were ace. Great band. Genuinely think being able to say I was there tonight might mean something one day.

Frank Carter is a very, very smart man.

Anyone given the new Soundgarden record a spin? I'm loving it. Been a huge fan for ages and they've recaptured the essence of what made them so great first time round. It's got that sludgy grunge sound with a bit of weirdness and really feels like a continuation of where they left off. Saw them play a lot of it live at Shepherd's Bush last Friday and it sits nicely with the older material and the band is sounding great. Give it a go if you're a fan.

When's the pure love album out?

I was never a big Gallows fan but ive always had an interest in what Carter has to say.

I didn't like Gallows at all but saw Pure Love support Lostprophets on Friday and they were great. Here's a really good frontman, spent most the set in the middle of the crowd singing. Albums not out til February though.

Just spent a rather great weekend in Plymouth, guess this is the thread to share it in.

One of my best mates has recently joined Southport, who are original Snuff guitarist Simon Wells' current band, on bass. I hopped along for the trip to see them and they're fantastic. I've been listening to Snuff and Souuthport since I was a teenager, so to see a mate up on stage with Wells all these years later is very odd, but very cool. The band are mod-tinged melodic punk, and the new album is sounding fucking amazing, should be out in a couple of months. Best of all, they're playing in Norwich next weekend with Leatherface, for my money the best British punk band of all time. Vanilla Pod are on it too, and they're always fun. After a year or two of being a boring sod, I'm finding my love for going to gigs again.

Also worth a mention is the pub the show was at, Jack Chams in Plymouth. No attitudes, good beers, amazing selection of tunes being played (not often you hear Bangers, Lemuria, Bridge and Tunnel etc being played in a pub). Skate videos on constantly and Turnonegro tat everywhere. The place is owned by Ben from Tribute to Nothing as well which I guess explains the Turbonegro love as his brother is now their singer I believe. Lovely place.

Finally, on the drive back, I was exposed to Caves new album for the first time, and it's wonderful. Girl fronted slightly gruff pop punk. Mildly shoddy production but that's a very minor quibble with an almost perfect album.

• Paid Members

i thought Uno was quality, poppy as fuck but there's some great tunes on there. I ain't really give Dos the time yet, but it definitly didn't grab me like Uno.

anyways, fuck Green Day...this has popped up online hinting at a return next year:

61592_502320026455882_832596989_n.jpg

one of the greatest & underappreciated rock bands of all time, if they tour next year i am there.