The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I've been listening to the new Opeth album Pale Communion, they're not one of my favourite bands but I like them a lot and I've seen them live a few times and know most of their stuff. They don't do dirty vocals/growls at all anymore, that put me off their last album at first because what made them for me was the combo of the soft and heavy stuff intertwined, but I knew going into the new one that it would be more of a clean prog album. It is so proggy it's ridiculous, instead of the jazzy soft stuff combined with death metal now it's more like jazzy soft stuff combined with 70s progressive rock, I quite like it though and it still sounds like Opeth, there's a song called Goblin that is pretty much Opeth doing a song in the style of the band Goblin which is pretty fun. It's nice that they aren't scared to try something new and make the music they really want to be making, Mikael Ackerfelt's obviously not into doing death metal at all anymore and instead of going through the motions to make the fans happy he's trying to bring everyone along with him on Opeth's evolvement in a different direction. I hope their next phase is dropping the soft jazzy stuff and doing a death metal/prog rock album but it won't happen. I could see them bringing the heavy stuff back in a few years but for now they seem happy with what they're doing and if a band like Opeth can't experiment then I don't know who can.

What do you think of it?

Edited by Call me Bellend

• Paid Members

had a little listen and it didnt do anything for me, its not an instant kind of record though so ill go back to it.

Opeth have been announced as Special Guests below Within Temptation (ugh!) on the Saturday night of next years Bloodstock. Wonder what kind of set they pull out for that?

Ebb, you have missed that when i mentioned it yesterday.

I still haven't got around to listening to the new Opeth album, but I've said before that not too concerned about its direction so long as it isn't some kind of random dramatic change. They are at that stage in their career were they should be able to make the album they want to make without bowing to fan pressure and simply put out similar sounding albums over and over.

Mikael has gone on record and said that he isn't interested in doing death metal at the moment, so people can't complain when they don't get that. He has made it abundantly clear that that isn't the sound he wants to do right now.

So long as there isn't some kind of weird mishmash of genres like on the last Morbid Angel album, the fans won't have much to worry about.

As for their Bloodstock set, the spot they have will give them about an hour for a set, so with 12 albums to choose from, you will get a good variety. Last time I saw them (2012) it was a decent varied set

• Paid Members

i know there's probably a few Therapy? and Manic Street Preachers fans here, but anyway's i went to see Andy Cairns live acoustic last night in Cardiff, and this happened:

i guess one of the great things about watching live music is getting the chance to see things that are truly one off's...i've been to many shows where it's just another random run of the mill show but guest slots during live slots can always be kind of special, so to see that in the flesh in a tiny venue with a crowd of 100 tops was pretty awesome, outstanding stuff.

Anyone hear seen any good one off guest slot stuff?

• Paid Members

another new Slipknot song, masks revealed an' all. In a time when music videos are not as relevant as they once were and bands usually just stick out lazy performance shot videos (due to lack of money thrown at these things), it's nice to actually see a proper music video with some proper intrigue behind it, that's the kind of video i'd have watched Kerrang TV for hours for back in the day....the song i aint too fussed on, great riff though.

The two new members are in the video too, they are apparently Bruce Springsteen's son on drums and the dude on bass is the guy who plays guitar in UK band Krokodil...who's a guy who must have friends in pretty high places (he's a producer) cause he guested with Down at Bloodstock as well.

Yeah that's seems to be the common theory but there's still not been any official word.

Naturally, there are a bunch moaning about how the drums are sounding on the new tracks. I hate fans sometimes. They'll just bitch for the sake of it ("the drums don't sound right", "Corey's mask looks gay", "the people in the video aren't head banging enough").

And I'm aware of the irony of me moaning about people moaning

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Remember the AB X box set? Well it has indeed shipped. People have started to received the box sets. The box set is full of recycled footage. Not just some things that have been released before, but there are at least two discs of "unseen, never released content" that have a lot of footage shared on the productions.

Not to add that people have had pages missing from the coffee table books, their products physically damaged due to inadequate packaging. These have been shipped in just a thin cardboard case. Also another couple of minor things like photographers names being misspelled in the credits, etc.

I've yet to receive my box set, but it doesn't look likely that this saga will finish any time soon.