The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

If were at R&L this year I wouldn't be missing Jimmy Eat World, The Hives, Letlive, A Day To Remember, Every Time I Die & Dave Hause.

Where do we think the Pantera reunion thing will end up next year? Headlining Download? Might be a bit of a reach imo but could definitely see it subbing to Slipknot (who I think will be back).

If were at R&L this year I wouldn't be missing Jimmy Eat World, The Hives, Letlive, A Day To Remember, Every Time I Die & Dave Hause.

Where do we think the Pantera reunion thing will end up next year? Headlining Download? Might be a bit of a reach imo but could definitely see it subbing to Slipknot (who I think will be back).

If anywhere i'd expect a headline slot at Bloodstock.

Yea will be at one of Jimmy eat worlds two performances and the hives for sure!

• Paid Members

In case people hadn't seen...

Machine Head have announced a December tour -

Sat 6th Dec - LONDON Roundhouse
Sun 7th Dec - LONDON Roundhouse
Tue 9th Dec - PORTSMOUTH Guildhall
Wed 10th Dec - BRISTOL O2 Academy
Thu 11th Dec - PLYMOUTH Pavilions
Sat 13th Dec - GLASGOW O2 Academy 2
Sun 14th Dec - LEEDS O2 Academy
Tue 16th Dec - MANCHESTER Apollo
Wed 17th Dec - NOTTINGHAM Rock City
Thu 18th Dec - BIRMINGHAM O2 Academy
Fri 19th Dec - DUBLIN Academy

Howard Jones' (ex-Killswitch Engage) new band Devil You Know and Darkest Hour supporting.

I got Manchester tickets yesterday though O2 priority, new song 'Killers & Kings' is a beast.

• Paid Members

Scaled back after that disastrous arena tour. Leeds Academy is a great venue though, the sound in there is awesome. And the good old dive that is Nottingham rock city

Disastrous? I was at Manchester for that tour & they had about 8k in the G-Mex. Metal bands who I'd consider their peers like Korn, Deftones, Bizkit, LoG would be ecstatic if they could draw that many fans these days.

• Paid Members

haha..did you go to any of the shows? BMTH got booed to death, they're a big draw on their own but they were a horrible choice as support for Machine Head. It was probably the worst reaction I've ever seen a support band get.

The new Opeth album, Pale Communion, is streaming. Head over to Metal Hammer's website for the details.

I'm going to wait until it's gets delivered through the door as I like to just lay down and take it in and play on my stereo rather than through my laptop speakers.

Looking forward to it. If it's anywhere near as good as Heritage was we're in safe hands. People complained about that album because it didn't have 'metal vocals' on it, but that's just people being daft as Damnation didn't have any either and that's lauded over. Heritage was a great

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

yeh im a sucker for still having a physical copy of an album i really wanna listen too in my hands before i hear it. Old school i guess.

...and off the point but did anyone see Paramore's headline slot at Reading on BBC3 last night? i would do terrible things to Hayley Williams.

Slipknot have confirmed details of their upcoming fifth album, which will pay tribute to late bassist Paul Gray.

Corey Taylor and co will release .5: The Gray Chapter on October 20 via Roadrunner Records.

The album comes with 14 tracks, with an extra two bonus tracks available on the deluxe edition.

Slipknot made the record's first single The Devil In I available to stream at the weekend.

5: The Gray Chapter is the band's first album since 2008's All Hope Is Gone and their first since the death of founding bass player Gray, who died in 2010.

Gray's widow Brenna Gray gave evidence at the trial of his doctor, who was cleared of causing his death. She also criticised Slipknot during the trial, saying the band didn't help Gray who was battling with addiction.

Slipknot have also announced the Prepare For Hell Tour – a major North American headline run, with special guests Korn and King 810. It kicks off on October 29 in El Paso, Texas.

Corey Taylor says: "We've been waiting a long time for this. Not only do we get to tour with friends who we respect, we've also chosen a band that represents the fury of the future. Slipknot is coming to your town. And hell's coming with us."

• Paid Members

speaking of King 810, what's people's thoughts on them?

Musically, what i've heard sounds like Slipknot but it's kind of dated sounding and really could have came out 10 years ago. The big selling point is the story behind the band, it's also kind of similar to Slipknot's with the band coming from a run down area of America  and stuff but it seems to have more of a gang/violence element to it. The press are eating it up but it all feels a bit gimmicky to me, i aint entirely sure i buy what the band are selling but it's got people talking.

I've only heard a little bit of King 810. It's Slipknot's early tunes done by Brujeria minus the silliness.

And for anyone hopping for the Pantera reunion, Vinnie Paul has got some BAAAAAD NEWWWWS

Vinnie Paul has slammed fans who want a Pantera reunion as selfish.

Speculation has circulated for some time that the band could regroup with Zakk Wylde in place of murdered guitarist Dimebag Abbott – providing frontman Phil Anselmo and Dime’s brother Paul can settle their differences.

But the drummer tells EMP Rock Invasion: “People are selfish. They want what they want; they don’t care what you want. People go, ‘Oh wow, they can get Zakk to jump up there on stage and it’s Pantera again.’

“No it’s not. It’s not that simple. If Eddie Van Halen was to get shot in the head four times next week, would everybody be going, ‘Hey, Zakk, go play for Van Halen – just call it Van Halen.’

“It’s really selfish for people to think that, and it’s stupid. It’s not right at all.”

And he underlines that his brother’s death rules out any true reunion, saying: “There's a lot of these things they call reunions that aren't really reunions. They've got one dude from the band floating around in them – that's not a true reunion. With Pantera, it'll never be possible.”