The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Festival-wise, I'm off to Groezrock this year. The lineup's wicked. Iron Chic, Screeching Weasel, Madball, Snuff, Cro Mags. Plus from a mate who's been a couple times, the atmosphere's pretty good there. And it's dirt cheap compared to any of the UK festivals.

In other news, has anyone heard Menshevik yet? Members of Capdown and Vanilla Pod doing shouty 80s style hardcore. Very cool. I'm putting them on in Canterbury in 3 weeks, but given the attention they're getting it may be the last time I'll be able to do it in a wee pub.

Edit: Link

Edited by Philo_Vance

christ, I remember seeing Capdown in the upstairs room of a pub with about 40 people in it. Must be about 12 years ago now, maybe more. They were one of those bands that everyone in the local scene claimed to like, by which they meant they liked 'Ska Wars' because that was the only Capdown song that got played in the local rock club, and was always preceded by Sublime's 'Date Rape'. It was like some kind of ritual up here, you heard 'Date Rape' and you knew 'Ska Wars' was coming on immediatley after it, and it went on like that for the better part of a decade

Edit:

This was the pub in question, The Bull Inn in Hull

60293_1e8fc78a.jpg

Edited by KingOfMetal

• Paid Members

yeh, the lineup's always kind of mesh into one another these days. All these bands have played the top festivals, several times. People seem to be especially anti-Download this year though, there's a certain number of people who seem to be willing it to fail, it's all abit stupid. Both lineups are gonna be great.

You are only going to have a choice of about a dozen bands that will headline unless you get a band reforming for a short time like Faith No More at Download 09. If you're going to have a band that's a headliner they tend to have been going for 15 plus years and have a at least 5 albums for them to choose from with their set-list. This is why you end having Metallica, Iron Maiden, Korn, Slipknot etc. always headlining these festivals

yeh, the lineup's always kind of mesh into one another these days. All these bands have played the top festivals, several times. People seem to be especially anti-Download this year though, there's a certain number of people who seem to be willing it to fail, it's all abit stupid. Both lineups are gonna be great.

Its hard to understand why people seem to be anti-Download this year. there was the whole thing about Avenged Sevenfold headlining (despite the fact we saw it coming a mile off) yet people would have also complained if there had been a repeat from years past.

Ghost playing Sonisphere is not a huge suprise as they have played Download for the past 3 years running. Mastondon will have a new album out (or very close to being out) by July so thats a logical booking, Slayer are working on new material also and Alice In Chains are a great live act too.

Download had a very strong lineup in 2012 and a good lineup last year, so I was expecting it to take a bit of a dip this year but they have still booked some great acts. I doubt that I will end up even going for a day this year just to have a bit of a break, but theres no reason to be against the festival in any way. The only thing for me to say about is that Volbeat have to play the Main Stage, have really come into their own over the past 2/3 years and in my opinion had the album of 2013