The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

I don't really know this tom gabel dude but the first thing I thought when Keith caputo did the same thing is surely it will ruin their livelihoods? Caputo has a great deep voice, that's got to be fucked once the hormones kick in, amazing that they'd do that to their voices, they must REALLY want to be chicks.

Basically MTF TS Hormones wont change the voice of anyone, depending on when the transition occurs because male puberty means the voice breaks lower and cant re break higher. Where as FTM TS people effectively go through puberty again and because originally a women's voice broke higher, it will break lower with the male hormones.The options for MTF are to have vocal coaching, which takes a long time, to produce a female voice and puts a lot of strain on the voice whilst doing it, but will following vocal exercises and stuff the new voice can be good and can be sung in/with There are a a load of youtube vids from the likes of CandiFla or
which give an idea of how it is done.There is a Trach shave, which may make the voice higher, but the success rate is low, and the complications can ruin a voice completely, which would be no good for singers as their lively hood would be under thread.Singers like Dana International and that German lass, Kim Petras (?) transitioned early. Dana International was a drag artiste before she transitioned and would have clearly worked on her voice before changing. Transitioned roughly 18-21, but had identified as TS at 13 or so. Regarding Kim, afaik because she wasnt old enough to change, she had her puberty surpressed with drugs so that the voice wouldn't break and her body wouldn't become more male before changing at 16.So there are options out there for them both whether they sing in their new voices or revert back to their old one would be up to them, some would not do it as it would be still presenting as male, despite going through the change where as others may still sing in their known voice as that is where the money is. Ive not listened to any Caputo stuff so I dont know which way she's gone with thatHope that helps somewhat

• Paid Members

Yeah man, that was fascinating, I've been wondering about that since Keith caputo said he was becoming a woman, cheers. I can't see them mentally wanting to sing like men after going through all this though, even if they still can.

Edited by Steve 'Big' Jobs

Yeah, shocking news about Tom Gabel. Against Me's new song, Black Me Out, is a great track too and I was having high hopes for the next album to be better than White Crosses, but it's gonna come out in a wave of controversy now. Just hope the news and their often moronic fanbases reaction to it doesnt overshadow the fact that theyre a great band.

• Paid Members

Slash is releasing his album one track a day over Facebook.

Some really good tracks on there. "Standing In The Sun" and "No More Heroes" are both belters! My least favourite is "One Last Thrill". It's just too messy vocally in the verses!

I've linked the direct link to the songs below for you guys without Facebook.

Apocalyptic Love

One Last Thrill

Standing In The Sun

No More Heroes

Manowar release their new album, 'The Lord of Steel', on June 16th, exclusively through iTunes and their own 'Kingdom of Steel' online store.Metal Hammer UK will release a special 'Steel Edition' of their magazine that includes the on CD and Digital Copy. A full physical release will occur later in the year

• Paid Members

Manowar release their new album, 'The Lord of Steel', on June 16th, exclusively through iTunes and their own 'Kingdom of Steel' online store.Metal Hammer UK will release a special 'Steel Edition' of their magazine that includes the on CD and Digital Copy. A full physical release will occur later in the year

I can understand this happening with Slash etc but Manowar...really? Would they sell enough to make it worthwhile?

I can understand this happening with Slash etc but Manowar...really? Would they sell enough to make it worthwhile?
The O2 academy shows they did over here last year, which Metal Hammer helped put on, have shown that there is an audience for Manowar, its not a huge audience, but an audience none the less. And since those shows I have seen people wearing Manowar gear at shows that I've been to. It was almost like liking Manowar was some kind of dirty secret before and since last years shows, its no longer taboo. Metal Hammer obviously feel confident they can shift the numbers in order to turn some kind of profitIn an update from yesterday, the full physical release of the album hits stores on July 27th Edited by KingOfMetal

• Paid Members

Nah, I haven't. The furthest I went back was 'The Stargate', that too was a bit of a different sound to Smell Of Rain. I lost interest after 'Smell Of Rain', mainly because he appeared to vanish for a few years, and I was into different stuff at that time. I haven't listened to Smell Of Rain in about 9 years, come to think about it.You've peaked my interest again. I'll need to track down his stuff.

• Paid Members

Smell of rain is indeed a great album, I love it and I also stopped listening to him after it. I saw him play a gig at a tiny prison in east london (i wasn't an inmate) around the time the album came out & it was great.Cradle of filth on the other hand were always shit, awful embarrassing UK pantomime version of black metal, nothing more.

Edited by Steve 'Big' Jobs

• Paid Members

Slash is releasing his album one track a day over Facebook.Some really good tracks on there. "Standing In The Sun" and "No More Heroes" are both belters! My least favourite is "One Last Thrill". It's just too messy vocally in the verses!I've linked the direct link to the songs below for you guys without Facebook.Apocalyptic LoveOne Last ThrillStanding In The SunNo More Heroes

has the fan pack been released yet?