The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

my death metal education continues... i know the basics of the genre, but there's so much stuff i haven't heard. Trying to discover some new shit, and got on the case of this after checking out what bands Chris Barnes has been involved with:

TorKillSwarmCover2.JPG

this was the only Torture Killer album that Barnes was vocalist for, and it's fucking fantastic. It's basic stripped down Death Metal, not overly technical and just crushingly awesome. The riffs on this album made me shit my pants.

Any death metal fans here? recommend me some more shit!!

Depends how heavy you want to go? You cant go wrong with Dying Fetus. My latest discoveries-Avulsed, Amputated, even Vomitous and Vomitory. Lol ive got a few lol im in the mood now for Exhumed-Gore Metal

• Paid Members

Depends, with death metal i tend to prefer the catchier type of stuff, something you can probably bang your head too. I aint too much into the death pig squeal stuff, some bands just seem to go with overly extreme for the sake of it.

Depends, with death metal i tend to prefer the catchier type of stuff, something you can probably bang your head too. I aint too much into the death pig squeal stuff, some bands just seem to go with overly extreme for the sake of it.

In that case knock Amputated off the list, add-Embalmer, Disgorge(mexico), desecration, origin, aborted.

Has anyone picked up Holy Grail's 'Crisis In Utopia' album?

One of my Download 2010 discoverys, was really looking forward to their debut release. Great starting point for the band

I bought it a couple of weeks ago, very impressed by it too.

• Paid Members
my death metal education continues... i know the basics of the genre, but there's so much stuff i haven't heard. Trying to discover some new shit, and got on the case of this after checking out what bands Chris Barnes has been involved with:

TorKillSwarmCover2.JPG

this was the only Torture Killer album that Barnes was vocalist for, and it's fucking fantastic. It's basic stripped down Death Metal, not overly technical and just crushingly awesome. The riffs on this album made me shit my pants.

Any death metal fans here? recommend me some more shit!!

I like catchy death metal too so I'm downloading this, if I love it I'll build you a cake.

Do you know Cannabis Corpse? they are extremely awesome.

• Paid Members
Seeing as we're on a knowledge exchange, im planning on seeing Municipal Waste in December in Jazzgow, any recommendations on thrash that aint- Gama Bomb, Bonded by Blood or Evile?

If you like those bands you'll like Fueled by Fire, modern latino thrash from LA I believe, really old school, really good, very similar to Bonded by Blood. Let me know what you think.

• Paid Members

i find that most of the old thrash bands who are still going or have reformed are all releasing fucking great albums at the moment...

Death Angel's new album is really good, i recommend it. Onslaught's 'Killing Peace' album was cruelly overlooked by the mainstream rock press last year. Kreator's 'Hordes of Chaos' album is fucking great too. All different types of Thrash really and not really in the veign of Municipal Waste's 'party thrash', but it's all fucking good shit.

on the case of Evile, i've just bought their 2nd album after completely forgetting about it when it was released...its pretty good, but the album is painfully let down by the vocals. I know thrash bands aint known for their brilliant technical vocalists, but Evile have some of the most boring one-tone vocals imaginable, it spoils it for me. Musically though, they've got some chops.

Edited by Ebb

Thats me got a ticket for Iron Maiden at the SECC next year, its a chore for a band to sound good in there but Maiden did it pretty well in 2006.

Seeing as we're on a knowledge exchange, im planning on seeing Municipal Waste in December in Jazzgow, any recommendations on thrash that aint- Gama Bomb, Bonded by Blood or Evile?

Mutant are a pretty awesome thrash band. I think they're still unsigned though so you'll most likely have to myspace them or look for their self produced EP on Amazon or something.