Post of the Year 2010 Now Online

tiger_rick

I had a beer with Sheiky once, and he was the nicest, most reasonable guy. He'd predefined his limits (no swearing because women and children were in the vicinity) and hadn't touched any form of medicine before getting to the event.

He has his very severe mental issues though. He seems to genuinely believe many of the things that he says: That he wrestled in the Olympics in 72; that Hulk Hogan, who didn't arrive in WCW until 94, wouldn't return his call to bring him in with him after his arrest and suspension in 87; that he had Brian Blair in the Camel Clutch at WM (even though it was actually Brunzelle) and that Duggan shoot rescued him.

Stories about Sheik are legion; he's singled out in Capetta and Billington's books, for example, on account of his craziness, years before his reinvention on YouTube.

The new popularising of Sheik began with his MPW shoot in 2004. During those three hours there were several times where he turned on a dime, my favourite being one on Volkoff. (The excerpt is here. Jekyll turns to Hyde at 2:33; watch the way his eyes change.)

In the intervening years between shooting that and it hitting YouTube and the "make him humble" line becoming his trademark, there were several issues of him behaving in the same way as he does now. He played havoc at the Iron Sheik Appreciation Night in Boston, refused to take his phony medals off when doctors wanted to x-ray his neck for suspected damage following the car crash which resulted in his being registered handicapped, and so on. Carol, his wife, was at the end of her tether, saying this wasn't anything novel to her. Sheik was apparently changing different brands of anti-depressents at the time, which, of course, he drinks on. He still has the emotional baggage of his daughter, Marissa, being murdered in 2003.

So many examples of this behaviour preceeded his YouTube resurrection. He's near enough destitute, through having spent all of his money on his medicine. His relationship with Carol is strained, after 35 years. (They were living separately, though I remember reading that they were looking at trying again a few months back.) He gets himself in trouble all the time, without TV cameras around: Suspended from the Killers Of Comedy, one of his few options to earn a living; arrested (with a bong in his luggage) when police were called because of his behaviour on a recent flight; getting kicked out of a club for calling a waitress a cunt for not knowing who he was, and then threatening to sodomise the three bouncers who came out to deal with him.

It's reminiscent of Scott Hall: There are many real-life problems. Then WCW made a wrestling character out of it. Some of the stuff was worked based on what the real-life reputation was, but there were still the real problems happening contemporaneously.

Sheiky's the same. He knows what his high spots are, and hits them: "Puddiminda Gommel Clatch, break his back, fuck his ass, an' make him humble." Lots of what we see now is worked, all part of the act. But it's predicated on real-life, genuine events and emotional outbursts, and some of those problems still emerge legitimately, even though an awful lot of it is also part of a post-YouTube performance.

I really enjoyed this post, as did a couple of the posters following it. Made a nice change from some of the snash on here.

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

This one had me laughing whilst trying not to, lest my missus want to know what set me off and then get mad at my chilishness.

In Dillkid's thread in which he seeks advice on what to do now that he's opened one of his mum's condoms and will be found out, Louch wrote:

tell her your step dad used it to nail u up the arse. not only will she not blame u, you will also get ice cream and you get your mum back.

Bowdown.gif

This one had me laughing whilst trying not to, lest my missus want to know what set me off and then get mad at my chilishness.

In Dillkid's thread in which he seeks advice on what to do now that he's opened one of his mum's condoms and will be found out, Louch wrote:

tell her your step dad used it to nail u up the arse. not only will she not blame u, you will also get ice cream and you get your mum back.

Bowdown.gif

I have to second that, pure gold.

• Awards Moderator

From the same thread

I found a 10 year old Filipino boy in my mum's cupboard once. I remember it was weird, because I offered him a banana and he screamed, but then I gave him some chocolate and we were best friends from then on. Whenever she went out, I'd go open the cupboard and talk to him and put plasters on the worst of his wounds and then we'd play video games. 2 years later, he disappeared. I still miss Paco :(

From the same thread

I found a 10 year old Filipino boy in my mum's cupboard once. I remember it was weird, because I offered him a banana and he screamed, but then I gave him some chocolate and we were best friends from then on. Whenever she went out, I'd go open the cupboard and talk to him and put plasters on the worst of his wounds and then we'd play video games. 2 years later, he disappeared. I still miss Paco :(

Seconded.

From the same thread

Seconded.

Thirded. Such a sad tale of lost friendship.

• Paid Members
I found a 10 year old Filipino boy in my mum's cupboard once. I remember it was weird, because I offered him a banana and he screamed..

It was "Post of the Month" even just this bit. All the rest of the post is gold too.

• Paid Members
From the same thread

Some years ago, we found out our boss at work held a 10 year old Filipino boy in the men's toilets at work. Juanton DeLamiata IIRC. Anyone with access to Carphone Warehouse's systems might still be able to find him on there...

• Paid Members
I remember when I was a little bit younger I was walking this girl home who I had fancied for ages. We were quite good friends and got on really well but nothing had ever happened between us. Anyway this one day I finally plucked up the courage to go in for the kill and show her how I really felt for her, when out of nowhere, I got smacked in the head by a flying F***INg cheeseburger. It killed the moment entirely and our love went unrequited forever

Brilliant stuff from Dillkid's pathetic "i'm scared of my mum" thread.

Archived