The Smartphone & associated apps discussion thread

David

• Paid Members
Just got my HTC Desire today after numerous problems with my n900. Have to say im impressed so far and if HTC can stick to their guns and keep knocking out fantastic phone like this then Apple should really be worried that from the pack of phone makers (HTC, Nokia, Samung etc) there finally has appeared an iPhone killer.

I should be getting my Desire through in the next few days, I'm ridiculously excited by it. How are you getting on with yours now and are there any apps you'd recommend?

The amount of times ive nearly punched a customer at work because they go all smug because they found a better deal on the internet.

The fact thats an 18 month deal is pretty impressive. You been with Orange long?

Just got my HTC Desire today after numerous problems with my n900. Have to say im impressed so far and if HTC can stick to their guns and keep knocking out fantastic phone like this then Apple should really be worried that from the pack of phone makers (HTC, Nokia, Samung etc) there finally has appeared an iPhone killer.

I should be getting my Desire through in the next few days, I'm ridiculously excited by it. How are you getting on with yours now and are there any apps you'd recommend?

Well it was going really really well until today, was in the car park at work and as I was getting into my car to see a client it fell from my hand and landed face down on the tarmac. Broken screen and looked like a ink blot so have taken it back, been given a fucking shitty Nokia X3 as a go between and now have to wait a week for the replacement, though the guy did say he might be able to do something about getting a replacement for Monday.

As for the apps and and such, get the Google Maps update it has street view which scared the bejesus out of my boss when I showed him outside his house lol. Also highly recommended is Zedge. Download it and you will never have to use an .mp3 song as you can download pretty much every WWE ring music I could think of to use as ringtones.

So YES get it.

• Paid Members

Just got the awesome Air Video for iPhone/iPod/iPad. It runs in conjunction with a free PC/Mac program and will not only stream any video file on your PC to your iPhone, but will convert any format on the fly. You can also set it up (creating a PIN) so you can access it through 3G.

Not tried it over the net yet, but it works beautifully on WiFi. Files which need converting take literally a few seconds to start playing and you can skip to any point with virtually no delay.

There's a free version which limits it to the first four files in each folder, but the full version is only

• Paid Members
Just got the awesome Air Video for iPhone/iPod/iPad. It runs in conjunction with a free PC/Mac program and will not only stream any video file on your PC to your iPhone, but will convert any format on the fly. You can also set it up (creating a PIN) so you can access it through 3G.

Not tried it over the net yet, but it works beautifully on WiFi. Files which need converting take literally a few seconds to start playing and you can skip to any point with virtually no delay.

There's a free version which limits it to the first four files in each folder, but the full version is only

• Paid Members

Been playing with the Hipstamatic iPhone app and I'm really impressed. I have a few vintage analog cameras that are becoming more and more precious by the day and as much as I would love to take them everywhere with me, I can't. So to have an app on my phone that has 'vintage filters/lenses' for the phone's camera for a quick snap is pretty awesome.

Photography geekery are all over this.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I'm thinking of getting a smart phone to replace my Razr. Want good battery life and web browsing. I'd rather not have an I phone. I have been impressed by the HTC range. The hero seems good and the HD2 looks and works fantastic. Anyone have any tips or suggestions. Not to keen on Nokias.

Edited by BigJag

I've got to show my love for Ovi maps. I've got a nokia 5800 (so nothing new, expensive or flashy) and they've just updated Ovi maps. I now have perfect sat nav without any need for any sort of network connection. I've also got an official nokia app which allows me to record my own sat nav directions to use instead of the default. All completely free. Although I'll likely upgrade to an HTC at some point in the future, I love my 5800 to bits.

Nexus One is brilliant for anyone who's interested. Pretty much exactly the same as the desire but because its made by google you get the android updates straight away instead of waiting for them.

Plus your chances of finding a desire at the moment are slim seeing as nowhere has them in stock.

My desire got lost whilst on holiday, had insurance and ive waited 2 weeks and still no phone. Been a massive success for HTC and it really is a brilliant phone, hoping for some stock next week,

I've got to show my love for Ovi maps. I've got a nokia 5800 (so nothing new, expensive or flashy) and they've just updated Ovi maps. I now have perfect sat nav without any need for any sort of network connection. I've also got an official nokia app which allows me to record my own sat nav directions to use instead of the default. All completely free. Although I'll likely upgrade to an HTC at some point in the future, I love my 5800 to bits.

Have a Nokia 5800 myself, Ovi Maps are a good job though for me they're still no match for an actual sat-nav especially for screen size. For general use I prefer Google Maps myself.

I'm quite happy with the phone,all my phones since 2001 have been either Nokias or Sagems (one off), main reason being that Nokias are generally very good at handling weak GSM signals compared to other manufacturers.

I don't quite get the hype of the iPhone myself, have "borrowed" them from relations to play with them, like most Apple products they score high on functionality but technically they come up short in some areas, particularly reception issues (a big problem that plagued the first iPhone). HTC products seem to get good reviews and good praise from users, if Nokia start going downhill badly, I'll start looking at them. However I'm happy enough with my 5800 even if a recent firmware upgrade has introduced a couple of bugs...