DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Watched The Expendables 2 last night, it was glorious. Wasn't expecting anything in terms of a plot or the best acting in the world ever. The over the top sillyness that pervaded throughout just made it so much better. It was everything the first one should have been I thought.

• Paid Members

Yeah I echo everything said about Expendables 2, especially Loki's assessment of Stallone as a 'bad old guy' Bronson. I thought he and Van Damme were particularly good. Nice to see Willis get a gun in his hands this time, but Arnie was pretty awful. Heard reports that Nic Cage has already signed up for the third movie, although Box Office Mojo said that the weekend figures were fairly disappointing, and unless it picks up a third movie could be a tricky sell.

Edited by Burchill's Buddy

• Paid Members

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

It would've been much funnier if Norris was killed the moment he appeared, but the entire 'Americatown' act was awesome.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Yeah I echo everything said about Expendables 2, especially Loki's assessment of Stallone as a 'bad old guy' Bronson. I thought he and Van Damme were particularly good. Nice to see Willis get a gun in his hands this time, but Arnie was pretty awful. Heard reports that Nic Cage has already signed up for the third movie, although Box Office Mojo said that the weekend figures were fairly disappointing, and unless it picks up a third movie could be a tricky sell.

Box Office may be an issue, there were 6 people watching the showing that I was at, 6. It was on one of the bigger screens as is opening weekend and there was 6 people there watching it. That cannot be a good sign, unless it does huge DVD business.

• Paid Members

Box Office may be an issue, there were 6 people watching the showing that I was at, 6. It was on one of the bigger screens as is opening weekend and there was 6 people there watching it. That cannot be a good sign, unless it does huge DVD business.

That's about right for my showing yesterday.

The cinema was fairly empty for me too, and almost everyone in there was a chap of a certain age, often with unwilling wife/gf in tow.

I watched The Cabin in the Woods too last night. It's a lot of fun, but it's nowhere near as clever as it thinks it is. If it didn't have all the 'game-changer' hype I probably wouldve enjoyed it a lot more. Scream is a better send-up of the horror genre.

Edited by DeanoTheGame

I watched 50/50 last night. It was brilliant.

Joseph Gordon Levitt used to annoy the tits off of me, but his transformation into one of my favourite actors has been swift and impressive. This was his film, really. Having had a close friend who has dealt with, and continues to deal with, cancer I have to say this was the most accurate portrayal of the effects of the disease i've ever seen. The macabre humour between friends, the social awkwardness, the light and shade were so much more accurate than the unrelenting misery or melodrama that so many films bow to. It was glaringly obvious that this came from a writer who had experienced the disease and it was applied perfectly by JGL and, to a lesser extent, Seth Rogen.

I don't really have a bad word to say against it. The ending got me, too.

Great film.

I saw The Expendables 2 on Friday evening, which was extremely enjoyable if not a bit too cheesy in places. Last night I watched Bad Ass, which got picked up because it features Danny Trejo and Ron Perlman. I thoroughly enjoyed what is essentially a low budget revenge flick in the same vein as Death Wish.

And partly based on true events, if you didn't already know.. Old man fights black guy on a bus.

Yeah I knew about that beforehand, but when I saw the trailer at the beginning of the year it looked like a parody. The film actually does have quite a few nods to the original video. It was more something that got picked up on impulse because it was cheap in the supermarket.

I have huge bonner for anything JGL-related. He's a really, really brilliant actor, picks great films and nicely balances it with "cool". My mum was going through cancer when I saw 50/50 and I thought it dealt with the topic brilliantly. The scene with his mum (you know which one) had me bawling my eyes out.