DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

The Grey

Strong contender for film of the year. The marketing sold a completely different film, which is fine, considering this is one of the most draining and affecting things to come along for quite some time. Frankly, I didn't think Joe Carnahan had it in him. Sure, Narc was great but he's been squandering that goodwill ever since. Here, his direction is superb. Even the one or two iffy moments don't detract from proceedings. The film, of course, has almost a slasher film structure, as Neeson's group is gradually whittled down, but you feel each and every one of their exits, regardless of how long their character has been onscreen. The acting, all round, is perfect. Dallas Roberts, Dermot Mulroney and Frank Grillo in particular flesh out what could easily have been one-note cliches in the hands of other actors. But, it's all about Liam Neeson. Forget the OTT heroics of Taken and the memes that surrounded this film upon the release of its trailers. It's an absolutely incredible performance, one laced with an extra level of poignancy given the heartbreaking similarties the actor shares with his character.

The ending seems to have provoked a good deal of irritation among viewers. Personally, I thought it was perfect.

Fully agree on both points. Thoroughly enjoyed this film, very edgy, very tense and quite emotional. However, the next time I watch it I'll have to put my headphones on. The wolves were sending my dog loopy.

• Paid Members

In The Loop is rather excellent, I must say. I thought Paul Higgins as the 'crossest man in Scotland' outshone Peter Capaldi, though, and everyone else in the film for that matter. Chris Addison could never get Anna Chlumsky, though.

In The Loop is rather excellent, I must say. I thought Paul Higgins as the 'crossest man in Scotland' outshone Peter Capaldi, though, and everyone else in the film for that matter. Chris Addison could never get Anna Chlumsky, though.

Fun little fact for you. Paul Higgins is married to the actress that played Alan Partridge's girlfriend in the second series of I'm Alan Partridge.

• Paid Members

Still wading my way through the complete Bond series and just had the misfortune of watching The World Is Not Enough. Utter, utter, utter bollocks.

• Paid Members
Still wading my way through the complete Bond series and just had the misfortune of watching The World Is Not Enough. Utter, utter, utter bollocks.

The theme is the thing I hate the most, so poor and hard to listen to, just some bint wailing THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH over and over again. Worst bond theme ever.

Watched Red Cliff last night

Aside from going on for what felt like forever it was a good, but not great film that was well shot. I'm pretty certain Channel 4 was showing the non Asian version as the film wasn't split in to two parts and about 6 weeks longer than the version shown. Some of it felt like watching a real life version of Dynasty Warriors which cant be bad. 6.5/10

• Paid Members

Good is a major stretch but there were certainly worse films from that year with better ratings on RT; The Book Of Eli (48%), Alice In Wonderland (51%) and Red (71%) to name a few. 2010 was not a great year overall but there were some flicks that garnered a lot more hatred than they deserved. Repo Men was one of these, along with From Paris With Love and The A-Team. Were they GOOD? Not really but arguably more entertaining than they were given credit for.

Personally the incredibly goofy nature of The A-Team movie was what I expected from The Expendables, which unfortunately ended up being quite dull for the most part.

• Paid Members

James Bond update - Die Another Day is fucking crap. What on earth did Pierce Brosnan do to deserve these shit films? And what the fuck is wrong with Toby Stephens' gob?

Die Another Day is the ultimate great bad Bond movie. It's off the fucking wall. Highlights include:

- Bond with Charles Manson beard

- Korean albino with diamonds in his face

- Invisible car

- Bizarre, impromptu near-fight to the death in the fencing club

- Robot suit with power death glove

- The gorgeous Rosamund Pike

- The worst CGI you'll ever see in a big budget movie when Bond "para-surfs" his way out of trouble

- Possibly the worst dialogue in any Bond flick

- Michael Madsen almost literally sleepwalking his way through the most pointless role in the series

It's horrific, but you can't hate on it. It's funny too that Brosnan was shocked that he was dumped after this.

As for Repo Men, it's utter dross, so no great shock that Richie thinks it's some misunderstood gem.

James Bond update - Die Another Day is fucking crap. What on earth did Pierce Brosnan do to deserve these shit films? And what the fuck is wrong with Toby Stephens' gob?

You're right about him getting a raw deal, Tomorrow Never Dies (except for the quality opening scene) and Die Another Day are absolutely dreadful, through no fault of Brosnan's

Funnily enough I did actually like The World Is Not Enough, mainly due to Robert Carlyle

• Paid Members
Die Another Day is the ultimate great bad Bond movie. It's off the fucking wall. Highlights include:

- Bond with Charles Manson beard

- Korean albino with diamonds in his face

- Invisible car

- Bizarre, impromptu near-fight to the death in the fencing club

- Robot suit with power death glove

- The gorgeous Rosamund Pike

- The worst CGI you'll ever see in a big budget movie when Bond "para-surfs" his way out of trouble

- Possibly the worst dialogue in any Bond flick

- Michael Madsen almost literally sleepwalking his way through the most pointless role in the series

It's horrific, but you can't hate on it. It's funny too that Brosnan was shocked that he was dumped after this.

It's not really his fault, though. I thought he was a fine Bond (let's face it, they all were) but aside from Goldeneye he was given fuck all to work with. The writing should have been on the wall for him when Roger Spottiswoode and Lee Tamahori were hired to direct.

It's bloody awful, though. I mean, it's a Bond film so you give it some leeway in terms of being ridiculous but they were taking the fucking piss with this thinking that they could get away with just about anything.