DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
Woy, did you see it at a cinema?

Nah. Although that might be for the best. That whole sing-a-long mentality seems like it would be annoying.

The first time I saw it was in a cinema at the Edinburgh Fringe and it really enhanced it for me. If you ever get the chance, give it a go (the Prince Charles Cinema in Leicester Square show it every now and then). Unless you hate flying cutlery.

• Moderators
Woy, did you see it at a cinema?

Nah. Although that might be for the best. That whole sing-a-long mentality seems like it would be annoying.

The first time I saw it was in a cinema at the Edinburgh Fringe and it really enhanced it for me. If you ever get the chance, give it a go (the Prince Charles Cinema in Leicester Square show it every now and then). Unless you hate flying cutlery.

That might be alright for a second watch, but the harrowing first time a person sees The Room should be a solo experience.

• Paid Members

So a few months back I posted something along the lines of Candyman being ripe for a remake as it nearly works as a run of the mill Supernatural Slasher movie. That was all based on my viewings as a mid teen some 15 years ago.

Tonight finally I watched Candyman again and you know what I was utterly wrong about one thing. Its not even close to run of the mill, its pretty damn special. Every now and again i revist a film and it suprises me big time. Must have had a bad day back then or just was plain stupid.

It is absolutely however a Supernatural Slasher film. Its as if someone watched Nightmare on Elm Street 2 and thought 'theres a good idea here somewhere'. Infact Candyman is the sequal the first Nightmare needed. Then we'd have plenty of 'which is better Star Wars or Empire?' talk rather than universal there all down hill from here regret. Of course its more than a touch influneced by Dracula which is fairly evident in plot but also the cracking cinematography. Simply put its bloody tremendous and is now amongst my favourite slashers.

In case any of you are interested i watched the blu ray and its not much to write home about. The picture is at times very solid but could do with a clean up or remaster at others. Also its got squat in the extras department.

So a few months back I posted something along the lines of Candyman being ripe for a remake as it nearly works as a run of the mill Supernatural Slasher movie. That was all based on my viewings as a mid teen some 15 years ago.

Tonight finally I watched Candyman again and you know what I was utterly wrong about one thing. Its not even close to run of the mill, its pretty damn special. Every now and again i revist a film and it suprises me big time. Must have had a bad day back then or just was plain stupid.

It is absolutely however a Supernatural Slasher film. Its as if someone watched Nightmare on Elm Street 2 and thought 'theres a good idea here somewhere'. Infact Candyman is the sequal the first Nightmare needed. Then we'd have plenty of 'which is better Star Wars or Empire?' talk rather than universal there all down hill from here regret. Of course its more than a touch influneced by Dracula which is fairly evident in plot but also the cracking cinematography. Simply put its bloody tremendous and is now amongst my favourite slashers.

In case any of you are interested i watched the blu ray and its not much to write home about. The picture is at times very solid but could do with a clean up or remaster at others. Also its got squat in the extras department.

Good for you. I seem to remember chewing you out for that. It's definitely a film that deserves a 2nd, adult viewing.

• Paid Members

Saw: Now I'd watched this a while back and really enjoyed it, the twist and all. I was surprised as I was expecting it to be a pile of shite.

It's no Seven or anything but its the best of the series from the bits I've seen of the rest because it's not just "lots of gory shit going on" like the others.

I've got the whole run cheap so I'm going to work my way through.

It wasn't as good as I remembered though, the acting is shocking in parts, just bad.

I've also been re-watching the Bottom Lives. 3 is the peak for me, with it getting better and better as it goes from 1 to 2 to 3. 2001 has some great moments and ends on a song which I personally feel is a plus, but it is the weakest of the 4 so far.

I've just got Weapons Grade Y-Fronts left to re-watch.

• Paid Members
I re-watched all of the Bottom Lives a few months back. They're mostly terrible. Not even in the same league as the television show.

They are very different certainly and while I don't rate them as highly as the TV shows I think they're still good fun.

Saw: Now I'd watched this a while back and really enjoyed it, the twist and all. I was surprised as I was expecting it to be a pile of shite.

It's no Seven or anything but its the best of the series from the bits I've seen of the rest because it's not just "lots of gory shit going on" like the others.

I've got the whole run cheap so I'm going to work my way through.

I like five out of the seven Saw films. I agree the first is the best. I'd rank them: I, II, VI, III, IV, V, VII.

Edited by The Natural

Talking about The Room It's a film that stioll gets quoted years after I first saw it and I will subject friends to it, if they've not seen it before. I will regularly ask friends how the're sex lives are and follow it up to telling them "they're so crazy".

As of tongiht I watched the Breakfast Club for the unpteenth time, it's still fucking great fun to watch.

• Paid Members

My mate got tickets to one of the Bottom Live shows years ago (it was the desert island one), and even as a huge fan, I thought it was shite, especially the contrived "it's live this, lads, anything can go wrong" bloopers that we saw in Nottingham, and which also showed up on the video.