DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
Carry On Emannuelle

They all seem sad, and lost, and old. Even worse to see Beryl Reid dragged into that spiral. The cinema in the UK changed so much between even 1973 and 1978, and it's sad to think that they were playing catch up with the fucking Confessions movies, and even worse, Come Play with Me. Mean spirited exploitations of comedy talents, rather than actually using them to full advantage. It was a short, shitty road from there to The Playbirds, and Confessions from the David Galaxy Affair.

Something else that I didn't pick up on until the end is that I don't think the little group of Sims, Hawtrey, Conner and Butterworth have any interaction with the cast involved in the main story. The image quality on their scenes is different too, as if their scenes were late additions to try and save it.

• Paid Members

Who is it round here that really likes Gosford Park? I'm sure there was someone who raved about it.

Just watched it, pretty good. Wasn't keen on Stephen Fry's blundering detective and the cast was probably too big and some of them had nothing to do, but it was good. Not Robert Altman's best, though.

I thought either you or Loki had chose it as one of your Films of the Week in the old Film Club thread, so I'm assuming you're thinking of Loki.

I watched that Signs you pimped on Letterboxd, Gladstone. Great film, and it's made me want to check out some more shorts. Got any recommendations?

• Paid Members

Must have been Loki, then.

Yes, Signs was lovely. I've tried watching a lot of short films lately and the best ones I've watched are La Cabina (the other two parts are linked in the sidebar),

and

Who is it round here that really likes Gosford Park? I'm sure there was someone who raved about it.

Just watched it, pretty good. Wasn't keen on Stephen Fry's blundering detective and the cast was probably too big and some of them had nothing to do, but it was good. Not Robert Altman's best, though.

I liked it. The ex was well in to her period dramas, and loved that. Sat down and watched it as a result. Was suitably impressed to be fair

Must have been Loki, then.

Yes, Signs was lovely. I've tried watching a lot of short films lately and the best ones I've watched are La Cabina (the other two parts are linked in the sidebar),

and

Cheers, I'll get to them over the weekend. You and Loki should start that film club again by the way!

It was probably me talking about Gosford Park, it's a little masterpiece with a cast the likes of which we may not see again. Fry's just playing the classic British farce character, if you've ever been to any am dram theatre productions you'll recognise it instantly. It's Altman's take on that sort of play, basically, but with a superstar cast and some real emotions.

Finally signed up to Leterboxd, I'm Loki obvs.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
The ex was well in to her period dramas,

I think most women are like that though.

I don't think this got enough respect. Respect, Richie.

I watched A Summer Place last night - the thing that really, really stood out for me is the ripeness of the acting. Troy Donahue stinks, Sandra Dee stinks, most of the parents stink... in the midst of all of this smelliness, Arthur Kennedy just tears the film to pieces and rebuilds it in his memory, blowing everyone else off of the screen. It's almost sad to see him crush all of the shitty thespians he's cast alongside.

• Moderators

I watched The Room.

the-room-poster.jpg

I'm super suspicious of overquoted, culty movies, especially as The Room is less than a decade old and already the king of bad movies, but holy shit, is that reputation earned. And it's not a bad movie. I mean, it's terrible, but it transcends badness and becomes something else altogether. Bad movies look like they were made by someone who's never seen a movie - The Room is a movie made by someone who's never seen people. Bad movies are Piranha 3DD or Santa Claus conquers the Martians, but The Room is closer to a piece of outsider art, as it's just the world as seen through the eyes of someone completely distanced from reality, and how people interact. Even the storyline hints at some horrible incident of betrayal in writer/director/lead actor Tommy Wiseau's past that he's trying to purge.

Blah blah blogplug blah, but my feelings about The Room stretched to this 2,000 word post. No forum post could do it justice. It's truly as extraordinary as everyone says it is, and you need to put aside your (rightful) hatred for all the obnoxiously wacky fans holding screenings and throwing spoons into the air and see it for yourself.

The infamous Flower Shop Scene.

The entire movie on Youtube. Go nuts.

Edited by Astro Hollywood