DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
I went to see The Darkest Hour the other day (purely as an excuse to go into a particular cinema), and aside from it being a really lightweight set up for a TV spin-off with no forseeable end, I had the most ridiculous sense of deja vu watching it. I can find no mention of it being a remake, but several scenes in particular I could have sworn I'd seen before.

If anyone's considering watching it, wait until it's on Syfy or Channel 5.

Syfi or Channel 5. Thats just bitchy.

I watched Super 8 at the weekend and it was a fun, enjoyable film. The young actors and actress in the film were superb, perfectly cast and really made the film in my eyes. There are a few things in the film which confuse me, such as the fact that it is a 12 and there is a fair bit of swearing and violence ye the story in the film takes a very child friendly route, it confuses me who the film was actually made for but I enjoyed it regardless. Billed as the ET of our generation and it was a nice nostalgic adventure film. The music in it is ace as well.

Watched Shrill Cries Reshuffle & To Sir with Love

Shrill Cries was a kinda prequal to the original movie it was way to messed up and confusing for my liking the original was 10 times better and a prequal should of never been made it was pretty much a waste a little gory in places but the ending just ruined the whole film

But to Sir with Love on the other hand was a brilliant Korean/Slasher/Horror Movie lots of good action lots of blood and gore and a pretty good story aswell, well worth looking into if you can :)

Honestly my film knowledge is rather limited to Horror Movies and Asian Ones im afraid thats what i grown up watching so dont like many other movies as they usually have been remade from Asian Originals and Ruined :)

I havent watched a lot of the big movies that come out like Titanic, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Transformers sorry folks to disappoint

Although i do have The Cape to watch soon :)

• Paid Members
Honestly my film knowledge is rather limited to Horror Movies and Asian Ones im afraid thats what i grown up watching so dont like many other movies as they usually have been remade from Asian Originals and Ruined :)

I havent watched a lot of the big movies that come out like Titanic, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Transformers sorry folks to disappoint

Although i do have The Cape to watch soon :)

Most of those are shite anyway, so you're not missing much.

I will have to pick your brain about Asian horror soon, though. Since Tartan Asia Extreme were taken over by Palisades, I think their output has been crap, but there must be some good stuff being made out there and me and Mrs Small love Asian horror. We don't mind the gore although we prefer films that have something of a plot on top of that.

The last good one we watched was The Booth, which was bordering on excellent, but that was made a good few years ago.

• Paid Members

Corp, do you know any good sites for info on asian horror and action films? The only ones I can find are in the original language. Want a few names to search for as I miss my Hong Kong expoitation.

Thunderplex : Asian Horror - Try Asianhorrormovies.com Have everything i ever wanted to see :) from old to Modern to rare clips etc

Action try Myasiancinema.com or LoveHKfilm.com :)

Should help you

Gladstone, message me when u want info mate, the last few good asian ones i seen if u never seen find or i will dig out my copy of The Forbidden Door, that will blow your socks of or Yoga and Ouji Board or Living Death are pretty good movies with a story to start you off :)

• Paid Members
Thunderplex : Asian Horror - Try Asianhorrormovies.com Have everything i ever wanted to see :) from old to Modern to rare clips etc

Action try Myasiancinema.com or LoveHKfilm.com :)

Should help you

Gladstone, message me when u want info mate, the last few good asian ones i seen if u never seen find or i will dig out my copy of The Forbidden Door, that will blow your socks of or Yoga and Ouji Board or Living Death are pretty good movies with a story to start you off :)

I'll give them a go, cheers.

Used to buy loads from DDDHouse in Hon Kong. Bunman, Ebola Syndrome, Bio Zombie (An excellent zombie movie with unusually likeable characters and damn fine acting. One scene where someone gets bit is really emotional), Ringu et al. 10 years ago, this was the only place you could get anything.

A Lot of the e-tailers these days are closing down no idea, why i usually get my originals from peeps from ebay or if you like series etc, aswell i know people let me know if u want anything ill see if ive got it and will help as i might wanna ask you a question via PM

:)

• Paid Members

I watched Iron Man 2. The usual fun adventure film offering but even in that context it felt a little flat at times but overall an enjoyable film to watch. The first twenty minutes felt like a bit of a mess though; sure we got all the necessary seeds of the story planted but it was more or less scene after scene of Stark throwing parties as Iron Man and generally being a bit of an unlike able fuck, especially in the court scene at times but saying that, that scene was the best part of the opening by far. He was more or less played for laughs but I enjoyed Hammer a lot and there was decent enough chemistry between him and Rourke's character. Rourke just looked cool as fuck throughout, despite a hammy Russian accent. But Samuel L. Jackson was a joy to watch even with his limited role; just a real cut above that guy is. And now I've probably rambled on more than the film justifies

Watched, well you can say i watched i honestly wanted to snap the disc after 15 minutes but attempted to watch Crazy Lips last night a supposedly Japanese Horror/Thriller, absolute dog shite

Tonights viewing is The Incite Mill the death game which i am looking forward to as its a bit like the Liar Game Series which has been brilliant as of late a good horror movie with a story

Fortress

I recieved this from the UKFF Secret Santa and since I recall it being quite good from watching it years ago I would give it another go.

Synopsis (stolen from IMDB):

`In a futuristic USA, it's forbidden to give birth to more than one child for each woman. As usual, you can escape to Mexico to avoid the authorities in USA, which is exactly what John (Christopher Lambert) and Karen Brennick were trying to do when Karen is pregnant with her second child (their first child was born dead). When they think they have made it they are discovered and put to prison (for 31 years), a modern prison called the "Fortress" where the prisoners are controlled by lasers, neutron-cannons, cameras, mind-scanners and electronic pain-causing devices in their stomachs. With those odds, John still plans to escape with his wife.`

In a phrase it is classic 90`s B-SciFi movie. Theres robots, computers, big corporations, limited budget, flame throwers, people blowing up and Christopher Lambert.

If your a fan of sci-fi gritty films (Robocop, Highlander) then you`ll probably like this move.