DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Went to see Hall Pass earlier. The reviews I've seen haven't been kind, and I can see why. It was a combination of bland and slapstick. I don't generally like Farrelly Brothers stuff (can't stand Dumb & Dumber), but I quite enjoyed it. I like the main bloke who isn't Owen Wilson from the smaller parts I've seen him play, largely on TV. And I love Jenna Fischer, although she had fuck all to do in this except play the generic concerned wife. Owen Wilson and Christina Applegate are both quite strange looking. Anyway, it gave me a couple of really good laughs, and it was free.

Downloaded and watched Due Date when I got home. I saw it at the cinema and liked it, and still did on this rewatch. The characters are absolutely irredeemable, and I enjoy that. I'm curious as to what people who've seen Due Date think of Observe and Report.

• Paid Members
Saw The Adjustment Bureau last night. It was pretty good, but then again I like Matt Damon. Emily Blunt was good in it but her voice reminds me of Minnie Driver. Which isn't a good thing.

i see the Driver comparison in that the relationship is kinda like the one in Good Will Hunting...but Blunt is much less annoying, i think i fell in love with her during the film.

Downloaded and watched Due Date when I got home. I saw it at the cinema and liked it, and still did on this rewatch. The characters are absolutely irredeemable, and I enjoy that. I'm curious as to what people who've seen Due Date think of Observe and Report.

Loved Due Date, the contrasting characters of Downey and Beardy Hangover Dude worked really well and you could sympathise with them both in certain scenarios. I thought it was, all in all, really funny.

Hmmm....Observe and Report...i did actually have fairly low expectations with this one as it seemed to be savaged by virtually everyone and although i didnt dislike it anywhere near as some it was a bit wacky-not laugh out loud funny like you'd expect from Seth Rogen. Supposed to be a dark comedy to be fair but erm, i would it was okay, raised the odd smile.

• Moderators
Loved Due Date, the contrasting characters of Downey and Beardy Hangover Dude worked really well and you could sympathise with them both in certain scenarios. I thought it was, all in all, really funny.

I hate to be the one to harp on about this (it kinda feels like I'm on a crusade against Due Date) but I just have to know.. What examples are there of times at which you could sympathise with either character? Just one or two examples would be great, because I thought they were just both utter assholes and that was one of the biggest problems with the film for me.

I hate to be the one to harp on about this (it kinda feels like I'm on a crusade against Due Date) but I just have to know.. What examples are there of times at which you could sympathise with either character? Just one or two examples would be great, because I thought they were just both utter assholes and that was one of the biggest problems with the film for me.

Amen.

I'm not a fan of The Hangover, mainly because of beardy bloke, and he was the exact same character in Due Date. Downey phoned it in, and as you say both characters were very unlikeable. I chuckled a couple of times, but for the most part I just felt cheated out of watching something better. Like Bio-Dome.

Amen.

I'm not a fan of The Hangover, mainly because of beardy bloke, and he was the exact same character in Due Date. Downey phoned it in, and as you say both characters were very unlikeable. I chuckled a couple of times, but for the most part I just felt cheated out of watching something better. Like Bio-Dome.

Whilst I liked Due Date, I agree that neither character is likeable in the slightest and thus I didn't give a shit if they made it or not. I liked it because asshole Downey amused me no end, especially when he twatted that kid and spat at a dog. I'd do the same.

I went to see Unknown the other day, was left somewhat disappointed. Where it looks like Taken, it really isn't. Taken was brilliant because it didn't try and be clever, it just kicked massive amounts of ass, whereas this just takes a few pretty inplausable turns and just doesn't make much sense in the end. It's worth a watch because Liam Neeson is brilliant and while it wasn't particularly bad, it just wasn't particularly good.

• Paid Members
I don't generally like Farrelly Brothers stuff (can't stand Dumb & Dumber)

:omg: One of the best comedies of the last twenty years, possibly ever!

The Farrelly Brothers make me sad. D&D was amazing, Kingpin and Something about Mary were weaker but had flashes of brilliance, then they've just got weaker and weaker. Hall Pass looks god awful. I'll give it a go though.

• Paid Members

Let's not get carried away now.

• Paid Members

Yeah, if you love wigs and Jim Carrey doing stupid voices/faces.

There is a lot of silliness. But there's great written and visual gags throughout. Its an awesome film.

Let's not get carried away now.

Arnt you a Blazing Saddles fan? I think thats a funny film, but one of the most over-rated comedies. Very Good, but not excellent. Dumb and Dumber is a lot funnier and rewatchable to me.

Edited by Rob Lowe

• Paid Members
Kingpin I enjoyed and would watch again

Vanessa Angel?

Anyway last night I had a double-bill of boring old shite (Syriana) and outstanding action (Runaway Train). I do hate it when a film wastes a great cast, so Syriana doubly irritated me.

Dinner For Scmucks-Good god this was truly dire, and i've seen some truly crappy films lately. This coupled with the fact that i think Paul Rudd tends to make everything he's in pretty watchable just disappoints all the more.

Mark Kermode panned this something rotten upon cinema release but i think he can, at times, be a bit stuffy with his reviews, but he was on the money with this one!

Think i'm going to have a little break from films as have season one of 30 Rock to get started on as well as season 2 of Weeds so i know i can guarantee a bit of quality from those.