DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

A double-bill of short, sharp horrors tonight. Actually, not that sharp.

The first one was Salvage, another British horror that's been floating around the last few years. This one felt a bit like Right At Your Door with people told not to venture outside and so on, but they're miles apart in quality. Dean Andrews is in the first 15 minutes and it's almost like he's there for people to say, "Look! It's Ray Carling!" and nothing else. The daughter looks like she'll be the main character and isn't. Then we're meant to root for the really quite horrible mum.

It does pick up a bit with some pretty quietly creepy scenes and then it just falls to pieces as they wank off some bollocks of a plot, you've no idea who's is supposed to be killing who, and then it threatens to have a nice twist of an ending but doesn't. At 71 minutes, at least it didn't last long, but if they'd have spent 20 minutes actually pacing it a bit better and making it clearer what the fuck was going on, it might have been okay. But it just was pretty crap.

4/10

Then we watched High Lane, a French horror film about some people who get stuck up a mountain and get picked off one by one by some nutter. I've noticed a pattern with these outdoor set European horror films - Dead Snow, Cold Prey and now this - that there's always 5 people. 2 hot women, 2 blokes who are with them, and some gooseberry who has unrequited feelings for one of the hotties. Exactly the same thing here.

This isn't as good as either of those two though. It takes 40 minutes to get going, instead relying on sub-Cliffhanger dramatics and some irritating flashbacks to start it off, and then they start being picked off by some nutter who we're given no introduction to, and who gets a vague mention in the end credits about his background.

One of the characters threatens to be original and an unexpectedly hateful and weasel-like bastard, but it never quite happens, and one of the deaths was a pleasantly nasty surprise, but the rest of it was boring and predictable. Still, the redhead and her SHORT shorts and the brunette and her enormous cleavage adds an extra point on it for me.

5/10

Edited by Gladstone Small

Repo - The genetic opera

When I searched for RepoMen (review further up the thread) I got `Repo - The genetic opera` a quick search on wikipedia, sounded interesting and I decided to give it a go.

Isn`t it truely amazing how through pure chance you can find a diamond.

I honestly Loved this film. Not liked, but actually LOVED this movie. It worked on so many levels.

It begins, again, in the not so distant future. With people dying due to a disease that destroys the bodys organs. GenCo arrives on the scene offering transplants to save the dying and at easily affordable prices. But if someone cant upkeep the payments then the body Parts bought can be repossessed and a visit from the RepoMan will take place (sounds familiar!).

So we follow the plight of a 17 year old girl who has to be kept indoors due to a blood problem, her over protective father (played by that guy who played Giles in Buffy), Gencos owner & his 3 weirdo kids (one who`ll just kill you, one who likes to have a face graft now and again and one who is addicted to transplants (played by Paris Hilton)) and the RepoMan. And how all their lives are interweaved.

But the twist is this is a Rock-Opera. An Honest to god musical. I think theres about 6 lines in the whole film that could be considered `spoken` all the rest are sung! In my opinion this is the up to date version of the Rocky Horror Picture show.

If you like gothic, Black lace, Corset, Blood, Meatloaf, Rocky Horror, Gore, Wacko films or any combination there of, you need to give this film a go. I realised within the first 5 minutes I was going to see something excellent. And I think everyone else needs to give it 5 minutes.

A cult classic that I am happy to be part of.

Last 4

Miami Vice (Michael Mann, 2006) 2/5

Be Sure To Share (Sion Sono, 2009) 4/5

Pontypool (Bruce McDonald, 2008) 3/5

Monsters (Gareth Edwards, 2010) 1/5

Monsters is soooooooo dull, can't see why it's getting the hype. Anyone going in expecting the awesomeness of Disrict 9 is going to be sorely disappointed.

Repo - The genetic opera

When I searched for RepoMen (review further up the thread) I got `Repo - The genetic opera` a quick search on wikipedia, sounded interesting and I decided to give it a go.

Isn`t it truely amazing how through pure chance you can find a diamond.

I honestly Loved this film. Not liked, but actually LOVED this movie. It worked on so many levels.

It begins, again, in the not so distant future. With people dying due to a disease that destroys the bodys organs. GenCo arrives on the scene offering transplants to save the dying and at easily affordable prices. But if someone cant upkeep the payments then the body Parts bought can be repossessed and a visit from the RepoMan will take place (sounds familiar!).

So we follow the plight of a 17 year old girl who has to be kept indoors due to a blood problem, her over protective father (played by that guy who played Giles in Buffy), Gencos owner & his 3 weirdo kids (one who`ll just kill you, one who likes to have a face graft now and again and one who is addicted to transplants (played by Paris Hilton)) and the RepoMan. And how all their lives are interweaved.

But the twist is this is a Rock-Opera. An Honest to god musical. I think theres about 6 lines in the whole film that could be considered `spoken` all the rest are sung! In my opinion this is the up to date version of the Rocky Horror Picture show.

If you like gothic, Black lace, Corset, Blood, Meatloaf, Rocky Horror, Gore, Wacko films or any combination there of, you need to give this film a go. I realised within the first 5 minutes I was going to see something excellent. And I think everyone else needs to give it 5 minutes.

A cult classic that I am happy to be part of.

you mean the film that Darren Lynn Bousman spent all of the Saw 4 commentry plugging instead of talking about Saw 4

• Paid Members

Day: Saturday

Time: Evening

Company: The good lady and I

Film: Hellboy

Rating: 3 stars

Comments: An enjoyable way to spend an evening. Haven't followed the comic books however it was easy enough to get.

Day: Yesterday

Time: Evening

Company: The good lady and I

Film: Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Rating: 2.5 stars

Comments: Not as good as the first. I don't know what I didn't enjoy about it, maybe it was the added influence on comedy? Bought both for

• Paid Members
I saw Machete in the pub tonight with no volume and no subtitles. It was bloody awesome and I don't see how adding dialogue could in any way improve my viewing experience.

Did you not get text at the bottom of the screen? Oh wait, no you wouldn't "Machete don't text".

applause.gif

• Paid Members

The Social Network. Jesse Eisenberg was outstanding as Mark Zuckerberg, as was Justin Timberlake as Sean Parker. It was a pretty long film, that didn't feel long as I was completely engaged all the way through. It has it funny moments too. I'd definitely say it's worth going to see. Whenever it comes out in the UK.

• Moderators

I watched the new Robin Hood last night.

I won't say that it's necessarily a bad film, but I was disappointed because it wasn't at all the film I wanted it to be. It basically ended with him becoming Robin Hood.. There was no robbing and stealing, sherwood forest-based hijinx, and the Sherrif was merely a footnote.

It was basically a war movie. Not what I wanted at all.

They set it up for a sequel that will probably be the film I was hoping for though, so I reckon I'd watch that.

On the plus side, the guy who played Prince/King John was brilliant.