DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

Just watched 'Four Lions', the funniest film of the year for me. Brilliantly acted & so many memorable one-liners, this bears repeated viewings & should join the likes of Withnail & I & Life of Brian when people speak of great British comedies, 5 stars.

As my evening freed itself up at the last minute, I decided to watch something from my often neglected DVD collection and chose Seven. I can't believe this film is 15 years old now, its still just as brilliant and hasn't seemed to have aged a day. That last 20 or so minutes is just so fucking tense. Hadn't watched it in a while, glad I put it on.

That was the first 18 film I watched at the cinema. I was 15 and me and a mate paid to see Ace Ventura When Nature Calls. Watched that then snuck in to watch Seven. He left after 15 minutes because it was "boring". I stayed until the end. I was completely blow away by it as it was the first proper film (in terms of seriousness and storytelling) I'd watched and I think that was the day I became a real film lover. Although I did sneak in to watch Showgirls after that. I enjoyed that for different reasons.

• Paid Members
On a less testicular note, I watched The Driver, one of the great underrated Hollywood films over the 1970s, in my opinion. At his best in the 70s and early 80s, Walter Hill was an amazing director - 48 Hours, Southern Comfort (which I'm watching tonight) and The Warriors are superb too. and I was hoping that the excellent Trespass in the early 90s might lead to a revival. But this is my favourite of his films.

Ryan O'Neill probably isn't the obvious candidate to play a moody and uncompromising getaway driver in a film, but he's excellent in this, and Bruce Dern, someone else who is incredibly underrated as an actor, is fantastic as his pursuer. And then there's a young Isabelle Adjani :love:

It's just perfectly paced with a great ending, some obviously great car chases, and a tight plot.

9 cowboys out of 10.

I bought this after reading this post and watched it last night. The car chase scenes are sensational. The shots that appear to be taken from the front grill are really thrilling, I felt like I was in it. The car O'Neal chases at the end is magnificent, I absolutely fell in love with it.

I quite enjoyed it overall but the story didn't really suck me in. O'Neal was outstanding though. Strange that he probably had about 10 lines in the entire film! Probably the least I've ever seen a lead actor speak in any film. It made everything he said pretty dramatic.

Best car scenes I've ever scene, I think.

• Moderators
Just watched 'Four Lions', the funniest film of the year for me. Brilliantly acted & so many memorable one-liners, this bears repeated viewings & should join the likes of Withnail & I & Life of Brian when people speak of great British comedies, 5 stars.

Just watched this last night. Thought it was brilliant; totally lived up to the hype (not only that of the reviews, but for the amount of time I've been looking forward to it since I first heard about the project).

• Paid Members

Fuck Mini-Babybells

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I actually found it quite sad & poignant at the end. I found myself sympathising with them & hoping they wouldn't die. A credit to the quality of the writing & acting.

Just read that it's got American distribution. Can't see it doing very well over there as lots of the references are very British.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members
On a less testicular note, I watched The Driver, one of the great underrated Hollywood films over the 1970s, in my opinion. At his best in the 70s and early 80s, Walter Hill was an amazing director - 48 Hours, Southern Comfort (which I'm watching tonight) and The Warriors are superb too. and I was hoping that the excellent Trespass in the early 90s might lead to a revival. But this is my favourite of his films.

Ryan O'Neill probably isn't the obvious candidate to play a moody and uncompromising getaway driver in a film, but he's excellent in this, and Bruce Dern, someone else who is incredibly underrated as an actor, is fantastic as his pursuer. And then there's a young Isabelle Adjani :love:

It's just perfectly paced with a great ending, some obviously great car chases, and a tight plot.

9 cowboys out of 10.

I bought this after reading this post and watched it last night. The car chase scenes are sensational. The shots that appear to be taken from the front grill are really thrilling, I felt like I was in it. The car O'Neal chases at the end is magnificent, I absolutely fell in love with it.

I quite enjoyed it overall but the story didn't really suck me in. O'Neal was outstanding though. Strange that he probably had about 10 lines in the entire film! Probably the least I've ever seen a lead actor speak in any film. It made everything he said pretty dramatic.

Best car scenes I've ever scene, I think.

It's not the most complex plot of all time, granted, but I thought in terms of trying to do an updated noir (for its time) it did an outstanding job. The car chases are fantastic - I'm not sure they are the best, not necessarily because they are actually relatively straightforward, but they are superb. I still reckon the car chase in The Seven Ups is the greatest of all time. And here it is:-

Don't watch it if you don't want the rest of the film spoiled, and it is a really good film.

• Moderators
Fuck Mini-Babybells

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I actually found it quite sad & poignant at the end. I found myself sympathising with them & hoping they wouldn't die. A credit to the quality of the writing & acting.

Just read that it's got American distribution. Can't see it doing very well over there as lots of the references are very British.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Agreed. The saddest for me was Waj's "I don't know what I'm doing", right before he detonated