DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
Recent films I've watched include Unknown, Scream (first time I've ever seen it was the other week) and the Passion of Christ. I've written some pretty extensive reviews on the blog linked in my sig if you want to check them out.

Liked your Passion review, made me laugh. I agree with most of your points too, I liked the cinematography and the attention to detail, but I don't really get the point as to why it was made. They should have put Jesus over as a face more though. Plus the Hogan-no sell to all that whipping was outrageous, he may as well have hulked up during it! I can see it now, hulking up more and more after each whiplash until finally.. "YOU!!!!!!!!".

• Paid Members
LOL. The difference is that DiCaprio is an excellent actor who has progressed brilliantly throughout his career. By the time Titanic came out he had already turned in great performances in The Basketball Diaries, What's Eating Gilbert Grape? and to a lesser extent; This Boy's Life. Pattinson is not dreadful by any means, but he's quite generic and I'd be stunned if he ever puts in a performance that matches some of the stuff DiCaprio has done.

100% agree. He isn't in the same league as DiCaprio.

• Paid Members

I was just merely pointing out how people can't get over the fact that he was in Twilight, so even when he does put in a decent performance they won't admit it.

I didn't say he was on Leo's level. DiCaprio is my favourite actor of all time. I was just using the Titanic comparison. A film that makes a ton of money, isn't really that great but rocketed both of them to 'hearthrob' status... You know what I'm trying to say.

I predict big things for Pattinson, I really like his work. Not because he's hot, but because I'm just drawn to him when he's on screen and he pulls me in.

• Paid Members
I was just merely pointing out how people can't get over the fact that he was in Twilight, so even when he does put in a decent performance they won't admit it.

I didn't say he was on Leo's level. DiCaprio is my favourite actor of all time. I was just using the Titanic comparison. A film that makes a ton of money, isn't really that great but rocketed both of them to 'hearthrob' status... You know what I'm trying to say.

I predict big things for Pattinson, I really like his work. Not because he's hot, but because I'm just drawn to him when he's on screen and he pulls me in.

I think it was Romeo and Juliet that got him that status rather than Titanic, although I'm sure a lot more people saw Titanic than R&J. Pattinson is going to have to pull some major shit out of the bag if he is ever going to be taken seriously as an actor and to be given decent opportunities, but I just can't see him having an outstanding performance.

• Paid Members

Watched Magic (1978) for the first time in years. I think it suffered from marketing itself as a horror film on its original release when its really a character piece for Hopkins, who turns in an amazing performance. For anyone thats never seen it Hopkins plays a failing magician who gains success (and confidence) after using a ventriloquist dummy in his act which starts to play more and more of a role in his life. Its one of those great little films that only has half a dozen people in it and not a single bad performance, Burgess Meredith giving a great turn in his few scenes. Not a classic by any means but cracking performances and a tight screenplay from William Goldman (who is just a legend)

I had a good laugh watching little shop of horrors with my girlfriend yesterday. Probably the 3rd time I've watched it, but this was the first time I noticed Danny John Jules AKA The Cat from Red Dwarf as a backing singer in one scene.

Recent films I've watched include Unknown, Scream (first time I've ever seen it was the other week) and the Passion of Christ. I've written some pretty extensive reviews on the blog linked in my sig if you want to check them out.

Liked your Passion review, made me laugh. I agree with most of your points too, I liked the cinematography and the attention to detail, but I don't really get the point as to why it was made. They should have put Jesus over as a face more though. Plus the Hogan-no sell to all that whipping was outrageous, he may as well have hulked up during it! I can see it now, hulking up more and more after each whiplash until finally.. "YOU!!!!!!!!".

Cheers, I'm glad you enjoyed it. :thumbsup:

Just got round to watching V for Vendetta on Sunday. Good God, it was everything I was told it would be and more. V V V V V V good film deffo worth a 2nd or 3rd watch!!!

Are you Bridget Jones or something?

• Paid Members

I think it was Romeo and Juliet that got him that status rather than Titanic, although I'm sure a lot more people saw Titanic than R&J. Pattinson is going to have to pull some major shit out of the bag if he is ever going to be taken seriously as an actor and to be given decent opportunities, but I just can't see him having an outstanding performance.

Well duh... Titanic was the highest grossing movie of all time up until Avatar, so that's a given. I'm just saying Titanic made him well known on a MASSIVE scale. Much like Twilight has done for Pattinson.

By the way, which movies have you actually seen with Pattinson in them that aren't Twilight? I'm curious...

And he is being given decent opportunities, so I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make there.

• Paid Members

Well duh... Titanic was the highest grossing movie of all time up until Avatar, so that's a given. I'm just saying Titanic made him well known on a MASSIVE scale. Much like Twilight has done for Pattinson.

By the way, which movies have you actually seen with Pattinson in them that aren't Twilight? I'm curious...

And he is being given decent opportunities, so I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make there.

First saw him in Harry Potter, average acting for average role, not bad by any means. I really tried to appreciate him as Dali in Little Ashes but it just wasn't clicking for me, And I think I lasted 5 minutes of Remember Me before deciding going for a shit was more interesting so can't comment on that performance.

He also dances like a retarded lepper as demonstrated on a night out when he was last on the island.

• Paid Members
First saw him in Harry Potter, average acting for average role, not bad by any means. I really tried to appreciate him as Dali in Little Ashes but it just wasn't clicking for me, And I think I lasted 5 minutes of Remember Me before deciding going for a shit was more interesting so can't comment on that performance.

He also dances like a retarded lepper as demonstrated on a night out when he was last on the island.

I think we'll agree to disagree on Rob, then...

I'll just come and say I told you so in a few years... ;)

But if you get chance to see Water For Elephants please do, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. He really doesn't have much of a filmography so far and once he gets rid of the Twilight brush he's been tarred with, he'll get seen in a different light. In my opinion, of course...

Edited by Stephanie

Can I just say Titanic was fucking shite, the iceberg couldn't come quick enough.

I've tried on a few occasions but have never managed to watch beyond the first twenty minutes. Dreadful melodramatic horseshit.

Stephanie's weird pre-teen girl-with-a-Smash Hits-subscription championing of R-Patz is fucking mental. He's a very average actor. Remember Me is literally laughable. If you buy into his angst and such, it's because he makes you wet. Please don't confuse this with a great actor in waiting.

Edited by Mr. Seven