DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

yeh, it's weird cause on the Dawn of The Dead Bluray, the first disk is the BluRay edition, which looks pretty f'n awesome...then come disks 2 & 3 you're left with a lot of very old standard def. material, especially on the special features so you kind of see what Dawn of The Dead looked like back in the day.

To be honest, as nice as it is seeing films in mint condition, there was something about the scratched, awful condition copies of these types of movies that made em what they were.

I'll never forget borrowing and watching a copy of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre when i was about 15 that nearly unwatchable, but that was half the fun :)

• Paid Members

DJ Kris, i've seen the Michael Caine movie, i remember sticking the DVD on at like 1am expecting to nod off half hour in, 4am i was still there hooked to the TV, great little movie.

Any other Jack The Ripper movies about?

• Paid Members

Day: Yesterday

Time: Evening

Audience: The good lady and I

Film: Get him to the Greek

Rating: 4.5 stars

Comments: I love this film. It's an incredibly easy watch and features (for my money) one of the funniest scenes of any movie - The Jeffery scene. Brand is excellent, essentially playing himself and Jonah Hill is in the comfortable role of the over-weight, hanger on/schmuck he always is.

DJ Kris, i've seen the Michael Caine movie, i remember sticking the DVD on at like 1am expecting to nod off half hour in, 4am i was still there hooked to the TV, great little movie.

That Caine version I have always loved, spooky I think and well acted, and something you can stick on on a sunday afternoon and get stuck into to.

I never realised there was an Argento edit of Dawn of the Dead. I can't imagine it'd be particularly worth it, as in better than Romero, but it's piqued my interest.

Cheers Ebb.

Incidentally, does anyone else get annoyed at Amazon's usage of reviews? They tend to copy/paste reviews from one release of a film onto another release, so that it gets very confusing as to which print people are talking about. The Amazon page for this Ultimate edition of Dawn Of The Dead is a good example.

That Caine version I have always loved, spooky I think and well acted, and something you can stick on on a sunday afternoon and get stuck into to.

This was one of those free dvds you got in the paper during the `Collect all 5 Michael Caine films week` and still sells well on ebay!

• Paid Members

Comments: I love this film. It's an incredibly easy watch and features (for my money) one of the funniest scenes of any movie - The Jeffery scene. Brand is excellent, essentially playing himself and Jonah Hill is in the comfortable role of the over-weight, hanger on/schmuck he always is.

I'll agree with this, i thought it was decent watch, but it picked up by another 10 nothces at the jefferey scence. I laughed so much during this.

"stroke the walls, i wish i had a house made of this stuff"

I'll agree with this, i thought it was decent watch, but it picked up by another 10 nothces at the jefferey scence. I laughed so much during this.

"stroke the walls, i wish i had a house made of this stuff"

I watched this the other day and hated it. I dunno...one or two funny scenes but I felt it dragged nowhere.

• Paid Members
I assume this is the original Dawn of the Dead? I've been thinking about getting the Blu Ray of this but I already have a special edition DVD but I can't remember whats on it. Is the Blue Ray edition really worth getting?

If your a fan its pretty much the definative must have edition. The only way I could see it being topped is if the Argento and DC cuts are ever released on Blu Ray as they are both presented here in standard def on DVD. However from what I've read the available elements for those cuts arn't close to be being up to scratch for a good Blu Ray.

The Theatrical cut looks as good as it could possibly look in all its remastered HD glory. Keeping in mind that this is a low budget 70s zombie film we are talking about. I mean it doesn't suddenly look like 300 and nor should it. Which is good because it would make me want to riot. It looks exactly as it should.

I shall definately be getting this then! I bought Night of the Living Dead (original) on Blu-Ray recently, not sure why, there's bugger all on it. I'm actually suprised, considering the extra feature floating around various DVD's that there isn't a definitive Blu-ray of it. I know people aren't a fan of the extra footage that was shot for one release, but I'd like to see this, as well as the various documentaries floating around.

Incidentally, does anyone else get annoyed at Amazon's usage of reviews? They tend to copy/paste reviews from one release of a film onto another release, so that it gets very confusing as to which print people are talking about. The Amazon page for this Ultimate edition of Dawn Of The Dead is a good example.

Very! Since Amazon doesn't tend to list the extra features I look at the reviews for these, of course this tells me nothing if the review belongs to a different release!

• Paid Members

Film: The Crazies

Rating: 4 stars

Comments: I found this a fun way to pass 2 hours. Completely by the numbers, but why deviate from a tried and true formula? Sometimes simple is good. This is one of those times!

Jackass 3D

You know what to expect, and for me it delivered again. Very enjoyable and the most i've laughed at a film in a while. They also upped the grossness with the poo cocktail supreme.

The 3D is actually used really well and imo the best since Avatar. Super slow motion 3D is the way forward!

It seems this might be the last Jackass as they get all sentimental for the end credits and throughout the film are little odes to past Jackass shows, i hope not as i love all the shows and movies but they are getting old now.

• Paid Members
I never realised there was an Argento edit of Dawn of the Dead. I can't imagine it'd be particularly worth it, as in better than Romero, but it's piqued my interest.

Cheers Ebb.

it aint much different, apparently some of the character development is cut out and it has a completely (and widely regarded inferior) soundtrack.

Jackass 3D

You know what to expect, and for me it delivered again. Very enjoyable and the most i've laughed at a film in a while. They also upped the grossness with the poo cocktail supreme.

The 3D is actually used really well and imo the best since Avatar. Super slow motion 3D is the way forward!

It seems this might be the last Jackass as they get all sentimental for the end credits and throughout the film are little odes to past Jackass shows, i hope not as i love all the shows and movies but they are getting old now.

Just got back from seeing it and I loved it such a funny film. I love the airplane part. Ive heard Knoxville say that there is more to come but ya dont know,such a laugh though I was in tears in some parts.

I watched Vampires Suck yesterday fully expecting to hate it due to Date Movie, Epic Movie, Meet The Spartans, etc. levels of shitness.

I actually really liked it. Only twice did they resort to really desperate gags ...

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

A girl attacking the vampires had to have BUFFY written in big letters on her top so that people would get the joke, and a needless cut-away to Lady GaGa ...

But the gags were mostly really good.

And I am reliably informed by my Twilight-obsessed missus that they even spoofed a few things from the books that weren't even in the movies, which impressed her.

Speaking of which, if anyone watching had only seen the 3 movies and not read the 4th book, they deliberately mention a massive spoiler which could piss some of the fans off.

• Paid Members
I watched Vampires Suck yesterday fully expecting to hate it due to Date Movie, Epic Movie, Meet The Spartans, etc. levels of shitness.

I actually really liked it.

Fucking hell.