DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Just out of interest does anyone know if the DVD version of Paranormal Activity contains all 3 endings(presumably as bonus features) or not

I think it does, yes.

I enjoyed that film personally, although I wasn't freaked out during the film, it was more after it when I was locking up on my own etc.

I loved The Expendables too, i'm definately going watching that again!

I don't know why, but Gordon's little run explanations of the circumstances of watching the films makes me suspicious that he's sat on the couch next to a dead body. "What shall we watch tonight, mother?"

What's your physical address, Mr Gopher?

• Paid Members
Jamie Winstone getting naked is always a plus.

As for The Expendables, I loved it but it needed MOAR ACTION I feel. It was like that Simpsons episode where Milhouse is getting really impatient that Itchy & Scratchy haven't gotten to the fireworks factory yet. Of course, once this movie got to the fireworks factory it was absolutely wonderful, but there was an awful lot of filler before things kicked off. Hopefully the sequel will fill in those gaps with Mickey Rourke throwing knives at people.

The last half hour was superb.

I've just come back from watching The Expendables.

It's awesome. Go see it.

This seems to be what everyone who has seen it is saying.

Does anyone know someone who thought it wasn't that good?

im a big movie fan, me and my mate went to see it and thought it was disappointing..good but not great, they rely too much on the big names rather than being a classic action movie..other than blowing loads of shit up for 2 mins in the middle and 10 minutes at the end..

id say the a team was alot better

• Paid Members
Other endings? I never knew that.

I'll have to check them out at some point, as I quite enjoyed the movie.

There are supposedly three different endings, one (which sounds like the best one) was only played like once and test audiences hated it so they didn't go with it. Then there's the cinema version and the alternate one included on the DVD.

I've had quite a busy couple of days in regards to watching films. Here is a nifty list for your viewing pleasure:

The A-Team - Brilliant fun. Exactly what I expected from it and the new cast was pretty perfect. The only negative is that seeing Rampage as BA was just weird and it really didn't fit at all. Patrick Wilson shines here, good to see him getting more work.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice - It's not perfect but if there had been a little more effort put in other than "Nic Cage wants to be a wizard, so lets give it a go" it could've been really good. Alfred Molina is outstanding and Cage himself continues his good performance run (and this is coming from someone who usually hates his performances). The lead is a bit annoying at times but as the film goes on he becomes a bit more sympathetic. If this had received some of the marketing that Prince of Persia did, this could've easily been Disney's next POTC franchise.

My Bloody Valentine - The original, not the 3D remake. Starts off pretty good but gets a bit dull as it reaches its whimper of a climax. I'm going to watch the remake at some point to see if it improves on the original in any way. The heart-shaped candy boxes were cool mind...and the washing machine bit.

The Burning - I remember Seven telling me about this film when I was doing my media essay on the horror genre. Only just got around to seeing it. It was good but I sort had the main reveal (the killer's burnt face) spoiled for me due to the limited colour print inside the DVD case. Nice extra I'm sure but it did really hurt the shock factor. Also the actual accident scene ended up being hilarious.

Scream 2 - Man, when you watch this you really realise how badly Wes Craven dropped the ball with the third movie. This is one of the best sequels ever, let alone best horror sequels. Not quite as good as the original but still incredibly witty and genuinely scary at the same time. Really looking forward to the fourth installment now. Hopefully Wes doesn't make the same mistakes.

Currently watching the first of the House quadrilogy of horror films. Not much has happened so far but the spooky house premise (hello Poltergeist) is always a lot of fun.

• Paid Members
My Bloody Valentine - The original, not the 3D remake. Starts off pretty good but gets a bit dull as it reaches its whimper of a climax. I'm going to watch the remake at some point to see if it improves on the original in any way. The heart-shaped candy boxes were cool mind...and the washing machine bit.

The original My Bloody Valentine is quite good but nothing in it suggested it needed a remake, to be honest.

• Paid Members

The original My Bloody Valentine is quite good but nothing in it suggested it needed a remake, to be honest.

Yeah it was a bizarre choice but still I've heard mostly good things and it could end up being a surprise. Also I'm a sucker for gimmicky horror 3D.

I watched A Boy Called Dad the other day. It's basically a Ken Loach rip-off set around Birkenhead or somewhere like that. There was a good performance in it by Ian Hart, but on the whole it was a bit rubbish, especially once it got going and abandoned any "boy on the run" potential for a half-romance with a mute emo girl.