DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

I just watched Twilight. I'm quite shocked that the sequel is apparently worse. Team Edward, Team Jacob and all of it's members can fuck off, it's all about Team Foot-Through-TV. Is Edward meant to have learning difficulties or something? He appeared to be a tad slow, in fact the only difference between him and Rain Man is that the latter had the decency to get on a bus and fuck off.

Probably said this before but it's worth it. I absolutely adore Monsieur Verdoux. If you get a chance to see it please do so. I'm sure some of you will think its crap but some will see it as I do. Chaplin is superb as the first murderer with heart in Hollywood. He's got his usual slapstick stuff and sad working class characters but it's the ending that speaks the most. More touching than a real drama and almost tragic. This is a top film.

Also saw Rambo recently (the most recent one) no where near as good or gritty as First Blood but still good for the on screen slaughter of lots of people.

Starchaser was made by a Korean production group called Young Sung, whereas MOTU and Bravestarr came from Filmation.

They do share a very similar style though

Watched Big Trouble in Little China last night.

Its now 24 and aged horribly, That it was shot mainly in a studio is telling with the Polystyrene stone work really showing up and despite the decent designs the stop motion clunkily being added to the film.

The dialogue and set pieces are as cheesy as ever and as action films go John Carpenter delivers.

Ive loved the film for ages, and its sad to see something age so badly. Its very much a product of its time. Id still recommend watching it, but things like rubber daggers, what are really naff special effects and a filmic style that detracts from the story ( dunno if Channel 4 had a bad print or what) take away from the epicness of it all.

Shame. solid 6/10 really spoilt by the loss of suspension of disbelief :(

Fact of the day. Everyone knows the lightening guy was the inspiration for Raiden, but what they dont always know is that Egg's place is the same location used for the interior shots of Ghostbusters, Flatliners and The Mask. It is firestation No.23, 225 East Fifth Street, Los Angeles ( not New York as Ghostbusters would have us believe as the exterior for Ghostbusters is still afaik a working fire station and they needed somewhere to shoot the interiors)

• Paid Members

I was reduced to tears last night by watching The English Surgeon.

home.jpg

Essentially a documentary, The English Surgeon is shot in a Ukrainian hospital full of desperate patients and makeshift equipment, but it is ultimately not a medical film - it is about a man, Henry Marsh (who works at St Georges Hospital, Tooting) who openly wrestles with moral and ethical issues which touch every one of us.

Henry's emotional journey takes him to visit the mother of a young girl he couldn't save some years ago, intercut with the current dilemma of a young man called Marian, dying of a brain tumour said to be inoperable in Ukraine. Marian has come to Kiev hoping that Henry can save him. He thinks he can, but only if Marian is awake throughout the entire operation.

The film is set in a bleak Ukrainian landscape as Henry and his colleague Igor struggle against massive logistical odds and the wrath of the old Soviet health system.

This film is essential viewing for all medical students, but i'd recommend it to everyone. And yes, they really did drill into his skull with a Bosch drill.

I just watched Twilight. I'm quite shocked that the sequel is apparently worse. Team Edward, Team Jacob and all of it's members can fuck off, it's all about Team Foot-Through-TV. Is Edward meant to have learning difficulties or something? He appeared to be a tad slow, in fact the only difference between him and Rain Man is that the latter had the decency to get on a bus and fuck off.

:laugh:

I only had to watch the trailer to know that Twilight was going to be horrible but still you have my condolences.

Man I cant wait until True Blood is back on the air.

• Paid Members

woulda stuck this in the boxing thread, but i thought it deserves to be here:

kassim.gif

little known documentary about former World Champion boxer Kasim Ouma...it's basically a standard boxing documentary following Ouma prepare for some fights intercut with his back story of how he escaped the Ugandan army by fleeing to America. The 2nd half of the doc. focuses on Ouma's attempt to go back to Uganda to visit family (punishment for deserting the army is death). I won't say much more because it will ruin it for you, but if this is emotional stuff, i had a tear in my eye at the end. If you like boxing it's a must see, but even if you ain't, i highly recommend this.

Watched Of Mice And Men earlier. Pretty much the only book I studied in school that I really liked. We watched the film as well. Hadn't seen it since I was 15, and noticed it on Lovefilm the other day so put it on my list. Still a top film. Can be depressing, but there are some great performances from Gary Sinise and John Malkovitch. 8/10

• Paid Members
Starchaser was made by a Korean production group called Young Sung, whereas MOTU and Bravestarr came from Filmation.

Its now 24 and aged horribly, That it was shot mainly in a studio is telling with the Polystyrene stone work really showing up and despite the decent designs the stop motion clunkily being added to the film.

The dialogue and set pieces are as cheesy as ever and as action films go John Carpenter delivers.

Ive loved the film for ages, and its sad to see something age so badly. Its very much a product of its time. Id still recommend watching it, but things like rubber daggers, what are really naff special effects and a filmic style that detracts from the story ( dunno if Channel 4 had a bad print or what) take away from the epicness of it all.

Fact of the day. Everyone knows the lightening guy was the inspiration for Raiden, but what they dont always know is that Egg's place is the same location used for the interior shots of Ghostbusters, Flatliners and The Mask. It is firestation No.23, 225 East Fifth Street, Los Angeles ( not New York as Ghostbusters would have us believe as the exterior for Ghostbusters is still afaik a working fire station and they needed somewhere to shoot the interiors)

Nobody says a bad word about Big Trouble In Little China!

Patdfb, i used to think that you were one of the good ones...

;)

Have got these Few Indonesian Horror Beauties coming my way asap for viewings i will leave my thoughts asap:

Macbre

Paku Kuntilanak

Air Terjun Pengantin

Edited by CorpRobinson

Nobody says a bad word about Big Trouble In Little China!

Patdfb, i used to think that you were one of the good ones...

;)

I still am! I wish people would read me review properly ;):smug:

I never said the film was shite (see the bolded bits). I said the fx on the version I saw were shite and it spoilt the experience and queried whether it was a bad print of the film!