DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
I'm on a bit of a movie kick. In the last four days...

Whip It - Ellen Page plays a small-town teen stuck in a 50's-esque life and seeking refuge in the 70's-esque world of roller derby. Except it's in the modern day. It was weird. It's not such a bad movie though, even if it is essentially clich

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
It's really convoluted, the characters are despicable, it becomes a mess in its final act and Ethan Hawke is in it.

i like Ethan Hawke :thumbsup:

and i thought the point of it was that the characters were kind of despicable, especially the Hoffman character. They all get involved in something way over their heads. The brothers are both as bad as each other, desperate men do desperate things. I still felt sorry for everyone in it though, it was just harsh.

Loved it.

• Paid Members

Up In The Air - George Clooney plays a company 'downsizer' travelling across America firing people for a living. Seemingly loving the fact he spends 90% of his life in hotels, having one night stands and never having to deal with home issues such as family etc. When a young executive is placed on the road with George he's taken out of his comfort zone and starts looking at his life.

This film is fucking fantastic. I expect a leading man Oscar nom for Clooney. The script & performances are all top notch. My girlfriend didn't enjoy it as much as I did but I had a fixed grin throughout. Your enjoyment may depend on how much you like Clooney (he's onscreen for 99% of the film) but he shines in what seems like the perfect role for him. I'm looking forward to watching this again already.

What's not to like about Clooney? He's been brilliant in pretty much everything I've ever seen of his, and can do high comedy and serious drama with equal skill. I watch everything he's involved in as a matter of course.

What's not to like about Clooney? He's been brilliant in pretty much everything I've ever seen of his, and can do high comedy and serious drama with equal skill. I watch everything he's involved in as a matter of course.

To be honest, I didnt think One Fine Day was much cop, was not feeling the Clooney love

Then I watched Chain Reaction for the first time in years last night , and wondered why everyone thought it was shit? if it had JCVD or Segal or someone else it would be lauded. Decent enought action film Keanu Reeves, Morgan Freeman, Brian Cox, Fred Ward and Rachel Weisz means your nearly there with a cult film

LG_FEAT1_george_clooney_batman.jpg

Ah.

Well, I haven't actually seen it :)

You should. It's quite wonderful in it's own horrifically shit way.

Disclaimer. Batman & Robin may:- make you lose the will to live, rake your own eyes owt with a spork, think about becoming a monk, invest in Dignitas and then use its services, leave your brain unable to be donated to scientific research and ruin any perception of reality you may have had.

Viewer caution is advised!

In fairness to Gorgeous George, he's the first to admit that Batman & Robin is awful and that he's awful in it. It provided the springboard from television to Hollywood for him so I doubt he regrets it. I also happen to think he's excellent. Michael Clayton is one of the most underrated films of the decade.

Bird with the Crystal Plumage

This is THE classic Giallo (murder mystery film) from director Dario Argento.

Argento can be praised (or Blamed) for the first major success of the Horror/suspence film (think SAW but from the 70`s with slightly less gore and alot more emphasis on suspence and tension) .

A writer witnesses a murder in an art gallery. The murderer traps the writer and he is forced to watch the woman struggle until the police can free him. He then sets out to solve the brutal murders which he has now been a witness to.

For a film that is now 40 years old you would think would be past its time. How wrong you would be. Argento has been praised as the `Hitchcock of the horror/suspence`and this directorial debut proves without a shadow of a doubt that gore and shocks have absolutely nothing on suspence and atmosphere. I was engrossed from the first 2 minutes. The imagery and brightness of the artmuseum as the woman is struggling and the sheer desperation of the witness as he realises theres nothing he can do but watch her die is amazing. Follow that up as we follow the writer as he pieces together the clues and tries to work out exactly whats happening.

Of course the fun of these film is trying to piece together the clues ourselfs and seeing if we`re correct in our assumption. (I wasn`t!)

An excellent film for the more decerning suspence fan.