General politics discussion thread

David

• Paid Members

Given we have more people in jail than any other European country I think that people serving shorter sentences should have the right to vote, this would still keep us in line with other Euro nations where people wouldn't be serving time for the same offence.

If they're going to be out before the next election then yes. If not, then no. That much should be considered part of the transition back into normal life - you're going back into the world, so you'd better be ready to engage with it, understand the issues and be prepared to contribute.

If they're going to be out before the next election then yes. If not, then no. That much should be considered part of the transition back into normal life - you're going back into the world, so you'd better be ready to engage with it, understand the issues and be prepared to contribute.

That would work fine if the next date of the General Election was cast in stone like fixed terms are in places like the USA, but it isn't here despite what the Coalition says, so that might prove tricky unless you allowed on the Electoral Register anyone who is scheduled to be released before the very latest date the vote can be held - and then what happens if an inmate is released earlier than expected because of good behaviour etc? The only way it could be done is for all prisoners to be on the electoral register, but those still inside would be ineligible to vote on the day bar a few exceptions e.g. remand prisoners as it is now. To me it would be better for certain crimes to include a punishment suspending voting rights for a guilty party for a set amount of time regardless of wherever they're imprisoned or not.

The government has plans to set fixed-term parliaments, so that issue should be solved relatively soon. Beyond that, yeah, I'd just have eligible to register and make a decision at the time. You would theoretically be able to say that if I guy has behaved well so far and is eligible for parole next year, he's OK to vote, but a guy who is eligible for parole at the same time but who tried to stab a guard last month is not.

The government has plans to set fixed-term parliaments, so that issue should be solved relatively soon. Beyond that, yeah, I'd just have eligible to register and make a decision at the time. You would theoretically be able to say that if I guy has behaved well so far and is eligible for parole next year, he's OK to vote, but a guy who is eligible for parole at the same time but who tried to stab a guard last month is not.

For the yes vote, I am afraid but only in order to see those corrupt sycophantic baby-kissers try and canvas opinions out of crims.

It will make The Thick of it look PG i believe...

I don't think jail is always the answer for crime it doesn't stop crime, but if you go to prison you've been taken out of society for the crime/s you committed and therefore lose your rights to participate in society. Be a good boy, leave prison then vote.

Couldn't decide whether to post this here or in the positivity thread. The Zeitgeist Movement seems to be positive thing but it's about political philosophy too:

Times in well with the Egyptian uprising.

I've watched up to 42mins, impressed so far.

I don't think jail is always the answer for crime it doesn't stop crime, but if you go to prison you've been taken out of society for the crime/s you committed and therefore lose your rights to participate in society. Be a good boy, leave prison then vote.

Apparently women have the vote too. I've heard they might even have prisons but that can't be right. ;)

Apparently women have the vote too. I've heard they might even have prisons but that can't be right. ;)

OK, or good girl :p