The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Yeah, we didn't bowl for very long and the bowlers shouldn't have been tired as Swann bowled most of the overs from one end. I guess the thinking is they didn't want to be chasing 150+ on that track on the third or fourth day, but after their batting recently we should have backed ourselves to skittle them again. Even so, even if we collapse to 100 all out they're not going to chase 300 plus. Doesn't exactly instil us with faith in our batting, though.

I didn't quite understand the reasoning behind not enforcing the follow-on. I would have thought that even if we didn't get it to an innings victory for complete demoralisation of the Australian camp, there's no way they're going to giving us a chase of 200. As mentioned, the bowlers should have been relatively fresh since it was a fairly short innings and Swann bowled a lot of overs. The wicket might deteriorate tomorrow and on Monday, but I would have still backed our players to chase down 150.

Let us know how your match goes on, Tom. Try and get a few photos together for one of your matches, I'd love to see what the facilities are at an average German club cricket ground!

Will do! To give you a vague idea, we're the only team in North Germany who actually have a grass wicket with everyone else having some form of artificial wicket laid down on match day. From watching a few games as 12th man/scorer, they seem bloody difficult to read as you can have two identical balls sent down by a bowler...one will bounce up onto the bat and the other will pretty much stop and keep low. I know our South African was filming some bits from a game the other week, but I'll take my camera down tomorrow and get some pictures.

• Paid Members

Smart, will look forward to them!

On the Ashes, it's been great to have Shane Warne back in the commentary box as well. He's great on the mic. Even Andrew Strauss has been a good addition, he's slotted in seamlessly.

Who's the Sky commentary team then, Gladders? There seems to be a lot of overlap between ABC, Channel 5 and the Beeb, but not so much with Sky.

• Paid Members
Smart, will look forward to them!

On the Ashes, it's been great to have Shane Warne back in the commentary box as well. He's great on the mic. Even Andrew Strauss has been a good addition, he's slotted in seamlessly.

I see what you did there.

I got cleanly bowled out for the first time in 2 years last night. My vision is getting worse by the day and I completely lost all sense of where I was within the crease and lost my off stump by not even defending it. Shocking.

• Paid Members
Who's the Sky commentary team then, Gladders? There seems to be a lot of overlap between ABC, Channel 5 and the Beeb, but not so much with Sky.

Warne, Strauss, Botham, Lloyd, Atherton, Hussain, Holding and Gower. The only way they could improve that TV commentary line-up, I reckon, is with Benaud. That's a dream team right there.

I remember when Sky first started their coverage, people were mocking the quality of it, and Botham and Atherton in particular as commentators. I hadn't realised they'd improved to the point of being considered a dream team.

I still miss the BBC coverage if I'm honest :( Or when C4 showed Tests uninterrupted on Film4 during the day.

• Paid Members

David Lloyd is the Yorkshire guy who does the T20 too. I like him.

• Paid Members
I remember when Sky first started their coverage, people were mocking the quality of it, and Botham and Atherton in particular as commentators. I hadn't realised they'd improved to the point of being considered a dream team.

Atherton's always been a great commentator, he's excellent. Botham splits opinion but I always enjoy him.

David Lloyd is the Yorkshire guy who does the T20 too. I like him.

:angry:

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Warne, Strauss, Botham, Lloyd, Atherton, Hussain, Holding and Gower. The only way they could improve that TV commentary line-up, I reckon, is with Benaud. That's a dream team right there.

Michael Holding really is fantastic. I want him to read me a bedtime story.

• Paid Members

Yes, he's great. His columns are top quality as well. Can't imagine why anyone would have any issue with him.

Not sure just how many runs England need here. The most boring day of the series so far. They would have had enough if they declared overnight last night. Are they going to let Root get 200?

• Paid Members
Not sure just how many runs England need here. The most boring day of the series so far. They would have had enough if they declared overnight last night. Are they going to let Root get 200?

I assume they'll either let Root get to 200 or get himself out and then declare.