The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I started off as a Derek Pringle-esque medium pacer but, a la Mike Watkinson, converted myself to an off-spinner who could tweak it a mile. My batting mostly consisted of backing away to leg and trying to whack it over mid-on a la Murali.

• Paid Members

I had two shots in my batting armoury, none of the teams we used to play against ever played a third man or fine leg, so I'd either thick edge it down to the third man boundary, or a play a horribly ugly leg glance slog kind of shot. Not exactly full of technique but I used to get loads of runs. If there was a wagon wheel made of my brief career, I'd say 75% of my runs were scored backward of square.

Cheers for the advice Max Power, appreciated. It's something I always say I'll look into and I really should.

• Paid Members

As a player I was like Dermott Reeve but minus the cocaine. Batted every position in the team, bowled medium pace cafeteria dobbers that on either a turning pitch or one keeping low were unplayable. Once bowled 10 overs 10 maidens for no wickets and also held the club record for worst bowling figures 3 overs for 62. As a batsman my first 11 innings for the club I played for were all ducks, but non of them golden. Scored a few fifties but mainly 20-30 was a good score for me. Never played for a dull side, played with and against some fantastic lads and the cricketing related stories I have would fill this thread for a very long time.

This is the first season where i won't be playing cricket, i'm pretty gutted but new job commitments mean i have to work most weekends. I've played since i was about 8 and have steadily moved up from the middle order to become an opening bat. I bowl left arm medium pies if i have to bowl,i get some movement but no pace. I played at university which was an absolute hoot, we played at various uni's including Oxford. We also toured Malta and played their team in a couple of matches.

here's the link for an article about the tour

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20080311/sport/staffordshire-awarded-game-as-rain-stops-play/

Since then i've played for a few local sides and for some friendly teams,but am helping my nephew train as he's been scouted by the ECB disability coach.

I'd still like to play for a sunday team or even a friendly side,but not sure if i'm going to have the time.

The stories and banter that comes from being in a cricket team has outweighed any other teams i've been involved with.

• Moderators

We;ve put roofs on our nets, so half of my bowls ended up on the top netting, but I had a great session with the bat. I've changed technique and I now use the Gooch method of pulling the bat back while they run up and I made some monster hits. Looks like I'll be batting lower middle order.

Incidentally, I finally got my "free poster" for joining the England team newsletter thingy. It was an A3 picture folded in half and stuck in an envelope, or the team doing the sprinkler. Not exactly what I'd envisaged from a commemorative poster, but it'll go on the back of the loo door.

Incidentally, I finally got my "free poster" for joining the England team newsletter thingy. It was an A3 picture folded in half and stuck in an envelope, or the team doing the sprinkler. Not exactly what I'd envisaged from a commemorative poster, but it'll go on the back of the loo door.

got mine a few weeks ago thought it would be a bit bigger

back of my bedroom doorfor me

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, rumour is we're going for a different Captain for each discipline, which I'm not really a fan of. If Strauss is stepping down to prolong his Test career, then fair enough, but if he's being pushed because of the performance at the World Cup, then in my opinion that's something he can't be blamed for. Even with all the fatigue after the glorious trouncing of the Aussies, he still managed some sublime performances. His Captaincy can't be blamed for some of the other players losing form.

Hopefully they give Alistair Cook a run with both limited-over Captaincies. He's clearly the ECB's choice to take over from Strauss at Test level, his average at county level in limited overs is good, lets put a succession plan in place, and build and what has been a good period of development for England.