The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

Much like everyone else who doesn't live in Pakistan, Australia or England, I was wondering if there are actually any other nations who play this game at a serious level?

Whenever I see it advertised on Sky Sports it's always the same countries playing.

Scotland play it, David. But like pretty much everything else, not very well ;)

Do we? I never see it covered in the sports sections, or anyone talking about it.

I do recall something about former Rangers goalkeeper Andy Goram playing the game at some point, but that's about it.

Test nations are:

India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh (barely, they're terrible), Australia, New Zealand, the West Indies (all the old British colonies play "domestically" as if they were states or counties), England (including Wales) and South Africa. Zimbabwe have been a test nation and have their status restored later this year.

As for who plays it, there are something like 50 teams involved in the World Cricket League, a series of tournaments to help emerging nations rise up the ranks, and the ICC has over 100 members. The Afghanistani minority in Pakistan has some talented cricketers and so Afghanistan have emerged as a useful team and are now have the status of a full one-day side, along with Kenya, Canada, Ireland, Netherlands and Scotland. The latter five are all perennially there and thereabouts, along with Bermuda. Of these nations, Kenya have the interest and the players but can never get their shit together politically. The Dutch have the infrastructure but no professional game and no real interest in a professional game. Ireland produce some fine players, Ed Joyce and Eoin Morgan have played for England, but again, no pro game and no interest. The UAE have the money and the desire but not the team.

http://www.cricketscotland.com/

About as successful as the Scotch football team, by the looks of it. Ranked 15 in the ODI rankings but not eligible to play Test cricket. Just below Afghanistan, which is fair enough seeing as it's a 3rd world country with a massive drug problem that is financially dependent on handouts.

Mind you, so is Afghanistan.

• Paid Members

Just in case you hadn't heard, England's first T20 match against Australia starts at 8am our time! It will be good to be able to actually watch a full match rather than just seeing the final fag-end overs at the end of the day.

Also, if England win they will set a new world record for most consecutive international T20 matches won at 8.

• Paid Members
Scotland play it, David. But like pretty much everything else, not very well ;)

Do we? I never see it covered in the sports sections, or anyone talking about it.

I do recall something about former Rangers goalkeeper Andy Goram playing the game at some point, but that's about it.

Which sets up the old trivia question...

Who played international football for Scotland and Cricket for England?

You should make more effort David, some of the Scotland ODI'S have been live on the BBC.

We've even had a couple of International games up in Aberdeen.

Guess there are no cricket clubs in deepest, darkest Motherwell? :p

• Paid Members

Nearly ballsed that up, but Woakes showed some great nerve at the end. I reckon we may have unearthed another quality player with him. I'm still convinced we can do better than Mike Yardy though, I still think he's crap.