What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
Also, last night on US TV saw the return of Chuck. I'm looking forward to seeing him all powered up.

Really? Because at the end of the last season, that's the last thing I wanted to see. The final scene looked awkward as all hell and it was clear that Levi was going to need an awful lot of training before filming the next season if he was going to be able to pull it off. Not to mention that it would completely fuck up the dynamic we've seen so far.

Having now watched the first two episodes, I'm glad to see they've had the common sense to not go down that route. Chuck is powered up but hasn't grasped how to use the powers he has so he's still the awkward geek that made his character so likable.

Good start so far.

• Moderators

Watched the first episode of Glee last night (recorded the second of the double bill).

It was fun!

Some really funny characters (the principal is brilliant) and a lot of funny moments.

It got a bit lame at times, especially towards the end when there seemed to be no jokes at all for the last 10 minutes or so and it was all the emotional crap. But there was enough good that I'll keep watching, though I realise this means I'm going to have to endure a lot of singing if I keep up with the show.

Only time will tell if the good outweighs the bad, but for now I'm definitely willing to watch a few more episodes to find out. A good start.

Au, I had the opposite reaction to you, if still thinking they handled the new-power thing well. They essentially hit the reset button, and hit it hard - the characters introduced in season 2 are all gone, the character dynamic is essentially identical to what it was at the end of the very first episode, and they're doing the same things.

The phrase "same shit, different day" seems to apply here. There's only so much I can bear of watching these characters do these things, knowing they're never going to take them in a different direction. I just expected more from this show, and they've shown they're not prepared to do it. So unless it changes soon, I'm done with it. I joked with my flatmate that as they were showing two episodes last night, that they would have hit the reset button by the end of the second one. I was proved wrong, in that it only took them one episode to completely resotre the status quo.

The

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

way they ended Chuck and Sarah's relationship at the train station

[close spoiler]

");document.close(); just didn't ring true, and spoiled the rest of it, I thought.

EDIT: All my criticisms are as naught, though, when we take into account the ludicrously wonderful fanservice that the show provides:

4269498228_f31def69a1_o.jpg

Edited by Famous Mortimer

Just finished watching series 2 of True Blood last night and it was even better than the 1st, the series finale was a bit of an anticlimax though I thought.

I could of sworn there was a True Blood discussion thread on here before but can I hell find it, I avoided it till I was up to speed with everyone but now its gone :sneaky:

• Paid Members

Dollhouse is getting ridiculously good now that it's already been cancelled. :angry:

I've got no sympathy for Joss Whedon though. He knew the show was on thin ice but the season still started with a bunch of stand alone episodes that were pretty much irrelevant to the over all plot. If they'd cut even just a few of those and got to this good shit when it actually mattered, it might have had a chance of being on next year.

The guy that plays Victor is just awesome though. Hopefully he's in more things after Dollhouse is done.

• Moderators
Watched the first episode of Glee last night (recorded the second of the double bill).

It was fun!

Some really funny characters (the principal is brilliant) and a lot of funny moments.

It got a bit lame at times, especially towards the end when there seemed to be no jokes at all for the last 10 minutes or so and it was all the emotional crap. But there was enough good that I'll keep watching, though I realise this means I'm going to have to endure a lot of singing if I keep up with the show.

Only time will tell if the good outweighs the bad, but for now I'm definitely willing to watch a few more episodes to find out. A good start.

Apparently this show did E4's biggest rating ever or somesuch. No-one else I know watched it apart from my friend I watched it with. No-one else on here watch it either? Who was watching??

• Paid Members

What sort of age Glee is aimed at? I.e. if it was a movie, what rating would it have? My daughter is desperate to watch it because the ads make it look like High School Musical. it looked more like the sort of OC/Dawsons Creek age group to me.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Moderators

Actually, yeah. Come to think of it there was a little subplot about dealing weed. Maybe not the show for your daughter.

Again though - there is nothing majorly explicit and I would have thought that a lot of the allusions would just go over her head. I don't know what stuff you let her watch and not...

I watched Glee, enjoyed it for the most part, some f the musical bits were a little too cheesy and made me cringe a little, particularly when the male teacher would sing (i can't remember his name) but i liked it enough to tune in again next week. It seems like a relativley light hearted show that i can miss a couple of episodes of, but pick up where i left off next time i watch it, which is a good thing for me as i find it difficult to 'commit' to a whole season of a TV show

Edited by deathrey

Dollhouse is getting ridiculously good now that it's already been cancelled. :angry:

I've got no sympathy for Joss Whedon though. He knew the show was on thin ice but the season still started with a bunch of stand alone episodes that were pretty much irrelevant to the over all plot. If they'd cut even just a few of those and got to this good shit when it actually mattered, it might have had a chance of being on next year.

The guy that plays Victor is just awesome though. Hopefully he's in more things after Dollhouse is done.

You are inside my head, plz get out

But yes, you're entirely correct. I could have cried with frustration after they whacked on a load of standalone eps. Victor (the wonderfully named Enver Gjokaj) is absolutely brilliant and deserves more work. A frighteningly good mimic of other peoples' mannerisms.

• Moderators
I watched Glee, enjoyed it for the most part, some f the musical bits were a little too cheesy and made me cringe a little, particularly when the male teacher would sing (i can't remember his name) but i liked it enough to tune in again next week. It seems like a relativley light hearted show that i can miss a couple of episodes of, but pick up where i left off next time i watch it, which is a good thing for me as i find it difficult to 'commit' to a whole season of a TV show

Oh man.. I forgot about the bit where he was playing the acoustic guitar and singing on his own in the auditorium. That was awful.. Are you trying to make me not want to watch the second episode??

Edited by Chest Rockwell