What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

The Shield's my favourite TV series ever, I love how tense it is, I'll definitely watch it all the way through again at some point. Forrest Whittaker's character was so hateable.

Yeh he was great at playing the twat, loved Glenn Close and Anthony Anderson's roles too

• Paid Members

Now that I'm completely up to date with Game of Thrones, Corleone and Boardwalk Empire I've started watching series 1 of Breaking Bad. Very good so far, 2 episodes in. I also have the first two episodes of The Wire- so that's the two best dramas I've never seen on the go.

Also been ploughing through the first two series of Parks & Rec, which I'm really enjoying. On the comedy front, I guess I need to watch Arrested Development?

Just finished the Shield, well worth a watch if anyone is considering it. SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

wanted Ronnie to kick the balls out of Mackie at the end

Need a new show (non comedy) to watch if anyone can recommend?

Already seen Sopranos, Dexter, Breaking Bad, Lost, Prison Break, Homeland, 24, Heroes, Damages, Nip/Tuck

Not into Deadwood, Game of Thrones, Six Feet Under

Currently watching with the Mrs (very slowly): the Wire/Mad Men

going to watch 3rd season of the Walking Dead, then thinking Justified or Sons of Anarchy?

I'd highly recommend Southland. Head and shoulders above most Cop shows I've seen and gets better and better. Season 5 has just finished so there's plenty to get stuck into.

IMDB page

Arrested Development is class, you've timed it well before the 3rd series at the end of May too.

Thanks Dirty Eddie, seen it mentioned on MetaCritic etc so will give it a go.

Still not convinced on Justified, I've seen the first 4/5 episodes but its very slow, worth sticking at?

• Paid Members
Still not convinced on Justified, I've seen the first 4/5 episodes but its very slow, worth sticking at?

Definitely, I was completely hooked by the end of the second series which focuses more on the Bennetts than the Miami cartel.

I've just finished Justified season 3.

The sheer amount of brilliant individual performances is completely overwhelming. Such a well put together cast. The core relationship of Raylan/Boyd crackles every time they're given a scene together. Walton Goggins is such an incredible man. The two scenes where he's tried his hand at public speaking (the oil company meeting/sheriffs debate) are probably my two favourite scenes in anything ever.

The Shield is my favourite show ever. If Justified continues its brilliance through season 4 and into 5, then it's going to pip The Shield.

It's incredible.

Just finished the Shield, well worth a watch if anyone is considering it. SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

wanted Ronnie to kick the balls out of Mackie at the end

Need a new show (non comedy) to watch if anyone can recommend?

Already seen Sopranos, Dexter, Breaking Bad, Lost, Prison Break, Homeland, 24, Heroes, Damages, Nip/Tuck

Not into Deadwood, Game of Thrones, Six Feet Under

Currently watching with the Mrs (very slowly): the Wire/Mad Men

going to watch 3rd season of the Walking Dead, then thinking Justified or Sons of Anarchy?

I'd highly recommend Southland. Head and shoulders above most Cop shows I've seen and gets better and better. Season 5 has just finished so there's plenty to get stuck into.

IMDB page

YES.

I highly echo this recommendation. Southland is probably my favourite TV show of the last five years. Even the budget cull of Season 3 couldn't hamper the quality. It has never dipped.

• Moderators

Justified's been a huge disappointment for me. S1 was pretty good, but with the promise of getting way better when Jeremy Davies and co showed up in S2. S2 was better, but still has those 'case/story of the week' episodes that fucked up the pacing and just weren't interesting. I've finished S3, and by this point, it's getting to be a chore giving them my time. There's just no weight to anything, if that makes sense. Everything feels so casual and half-arsed that I'm not connecting to it. I don't think I've ever been further from the edge of my seat on such a highly regarded show. Yeah, there's a lot of characters, and they're doing stuff, but there's nothing that makes me care. I keep waiting for Boyd Crowder to do something that makes him worthy of all the sigs and praise, but it's still not happened. Does it get extraordinary in S4 or something?

I think the problem is, the entire show feels comprised of what would be the C-strands in another show. If Justified is Oz, then every character is a Jazz Hoyt or Richie Hanlon, with no Shillinger, Alvarez or Beecher; it's the 90 seconds a week on Lost we spent with Rose and Bernard stretched out over 40 minutes; paper-thin background characters and stories brought to the front but without the writing or plot to justify (lol) their position. There's a general lack of depth, and it's just not that good.

Hannibal is fucking amazing though. Absolutely gorgeous too. It's going to break my black, black heart when it inevitably gets cancelled.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

Yeah I see no way that Hannibal doesn't get cancelled. If it was on Showtime or FX they would probably keep it around but on NBC? No fucking way.

Just finished Spartacus: Gods Of The Arena. It sometimes suffered from prequelitis where it is hard to give a shit because you already know whats going to happen but overall it was fucking ace. The final battle royale in the arena was so badass it practically gave me an erection. It's a shame that because of the look and the gratuitous sex and violence the masses will probably overlook the show forever but it really is an incredibly well told story with some devastating emotional punches.

I swear, if I was a writer on the WWE creative team I would sit down and watch Oz and Spartacus back to back and rip off so many storylines and use them for wrestling. They are almost perfect fits.

• Moderators
Yeah I see no way that Hannibal doesn't get cancelled. If it was on Showtime or FX they would probably keep it around but on NBC? No fucking way.

The one thing in its favour is that NBC are really in the shits now, ratings wise, and their big home-grown brand, The Office, only has three episodes left before it ends for good. They've no ratings darlings, so while Hannibal's not doing big numbers, for NBC in 2013, it's doing well enough that they might keep it because they have nothing else.