UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

The first WWF show I ever went to was in late '93 (I think) at the NEC in Birmingham. Undertaker vs Yoko was the main event and ended on a DQ after some bollocks outside involving Bearer and Fuji.

All I remember of the rest was Savage vs Michaels and Diesel vs Tatanka, which was originally meant to be Diesel vs Perfect. The ring announcer said Perfect couldn't make it for some reason which I was fucking gutted about.

Oh and due to needing a piss and then getting an ice cream, I completely missed Virgil getting squashed by Adam Bomb.

How did you know what the scheduled matches were?

• Paid Members

Back then they always told you the card on telly months in advance, not like today when you turn up without a clue. I remember being well upset that the Full Metal (IIRC) tour in late 95 wasn't coming near me because the cards sounded good.

Since it's the Question thread, who were Shawn's Knights? They looked pretty shit in their Poundland balaclavas as I recall.

Barry Horowitz (red), Greg Valentine (blue) and Jeff Gaylord (black)

Of course being house show Knights, they could have been anybody of average building pulling double duty for the sake of a squash. Virgil & Martel.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
Oh and due to needing a piss and then getting an ice cream, I completely missed Virgil getting squashed by Adam Bomb.

My mate had a similar, but slightly worse, issue when we went to Insurrextion. He sods off to the bogs at which point Bulldog's theme hits and he charges the ring. Mate returns just in time for Bulldog's music to finish after he's gone back up the aisle after beating Crash Holly for the Hardcore Title.

• Paid Members
How did you know what the scheduled matches were?

I don't remember for sure if the matches were announced on TV, but I definitely knew Perfect was supposed to be there. Probably from the programme and also the ring announcer got on the mic before the match to explain that Perfect couldn't be there due to travel issues or something like that. I actually quite liked Tatanka back then but I wasn't pleased.

Back then they always told you the card on telly months in advance, not like today when you turn up without a clue. I remember being well upset that the Full Metal (IIRC) tour in late 95 wasn't coming near me because the cards sounded good.

Ah yes I now recall being gutted that WWF was going to Aberdeen rather than Glasgow for the Hart Attack Tour in 1994 as I thught the advertised Bret & Bulldog vs Owen & Anvil match sounded immense.

That said I can't recall match advertising being prevalent back then, though I may have been looking in the wrong places.

• Paid Members
Ah yes I now recall being gutted that WWF was going to Aberdeen rather than Glasgow for the Hart Attack Tour in 1994 as I thught the advertised Bret & Bulldog vs Owen & Anvil match sounded immense.

That said I can't recall match advertising being prevalent back then, though I may have been looking in the wrong places.

The 1995 and 1996 tours and announced matches were advertised in the update slots on Challenge/Superstars/Action Zone, but I do have memories of the Hart Attack tour being advertised in our local paper plastered with images hyping that tag match, and Yoko/Taker casket match.

Those shows incidentally were fucking stacked and also featured Shawn/Diesel v Razor/Luger for the tag belts, Alundra v Bull Nakano for the Womens title, Kid v IRS and, ummmm, Bam Bam v Mabel. Kind of shit a little bit on the tour I saw in the March where we got Bret/Owen/Diesel/Kid/Quebecers/MOM/Tatanka/Bam Bam while the Yoko/Luger/Razor/Shawn/Savage/Crush/Gunns/Headshrinkers troupe were over in Germany. Hart Attack was virtually everybody worth seeing in the Fed at the time!

The 1995 and 1996 tours and announced matches were advertised in the update slots on Challenge/Superstars/Action Zone, but I do have memories of the Hart Attack tour being advertised in our local paper plastered with images hyping that tag match, and Yoko/Taker casket match.

Those shows incidentally were fucking stacked and also featured Shawn/Diesel v Razor/Luger for the tag belts, Alundra v Bull Nakano for the Womens title, Kid v IRS and, ummmm, Bam Bam v Mabel. Kind of shit a little bit on the tour I saw in the March where we got Bret/Owen/Diesel/Kid/Quebecers/MOM/Tatanka/Bam Bam while the Yoko/Luger/Razor/Shawn/Savage/Crush/Gunns/Headshrinkers troupe were over in Germany. Hart Attack was virtually everybody worth seeing in the Fed at the time!

Precisely - in fairness I think we saw the better card post Mania, but as you say the Hart Attack Tour lineup was superb.

• Paid Members

Might be a tough one, but has anyone got a proper timeline of the events and matches in the Dean Ambrose / William Regal feud? I can't quite piece together how many matches they had and all the promos and incidents that happened off YouTube. Ta.

After watching Larry Zbyszko's shoot, it got me wondering, how is his post-Bruno/WWWF career considered in terms of business? From his Wikipedia page, he won the AWA Title afterwards, but was he successful as the main guy? Did he ride the success of the Bruno fued for long, or did he quickly fizzle out as a top heel?

• Paid Members
After watching Larry Zbyszko's shoot, it got me wondering, how is his post-Bruno/WWWF career considered in terms of business? From his Wikipedia page, he won the AWA Title afterwards, but was he successful as the main guy? Did he ride the success of the Bruno fued for long, or did he quickly fizzle out as a top heel?

He married one of Verne Gagne's daughters (according to Hogan Verne was always trying to get his top guys to marry his daughters so they'd stick around and not jump ship) and with the old guard of the AWA the likes of Bockwinkel and the Vachons gone he was the logical choice for Champion although the company was pretty much on it's arse at this stage and that was really the only time in his career he was the main guy with the company shutting down soon after. His run in WCW in the early 90's as a midcarder tagging with Arn and part of the Dangerous Alliance was pretty well received and he was in the UKFF's much loved War Games 92 match. He became a commentator in 1994. but he had a good run opposing the nWo and in particular his real life mate Scott Hall and he wrestled Bischoff for control of Nitro at Starrcade 97. He was unbelievably over in 97 getting mega reactions from Nitro crowds, the Bruno thing is something that would always be brought up by announcers and people and was undoubtedly the highlight of his career but long term I wouldn't say it had a huge effect on his post WWWF run other than he was known for it and it got his name out there.

• Paid Members

Was it ever explained on TV where Sid disappeared to when he left the WWF in the summer of 1997? Also why did he leave at that time? He was gone before Canadian Stampede wasn't he? Then vanished until his ECW stint two years later.

I wonder where Sid would have fit in if he'd stuck around for the Attitude era in 98.

He married one of Verne Gagne's daughters (according to Hogan Verne was always trying to get his top guys to marry his daughters so they'd stick around and not jump ship) and with the old guard of the AWA the likes of Bockwinkel and the Vachons gone he was the logical choice for Champion although the company was pretty much on it's arse at this stage and that was really the only time in his career he was the main guy with the company shutting down soon after.

Cheers for the reply. Was it more a case of (despite what Larry himself probably thinks) Bruno being 95% responsible for the success of that fued, and Larry being taken along for the ride, at which point afterwards he dropped back down to his normal level?

• Paid Members

He married one of Verne Gagne's daughters (according to Hogan Verne was always trying to get his top guys to marry his daughters so they'd stick around and not jump ship) and with the old guard of the AWA the likes of Bockwinkel and the Vachons gone he was the logical choice for Champion although the company was pretty much on it's arse at this stage and that was really the only time in his career he was the main guy with the company shutting down soon after.

Cheers for the reply. Was it more a case of (despite what Larry himself probably thinks) Bruno being 95% responsible for the success of that fued, and Larry being taken along for the ride, at which point afterwards he dropped back down to his normal level?

Probably, Larry and Bruno were big mates and neighbors in real life so I imagine Bruno was doing this to put him over and elevate him as a friend as I think Zybysko himself as said the WWWF had little plans for him after this so it was likely at Bruno's behest he got this kind of feud at all. He dropped back towards the midcard yeah but he never really stuck around in one place long enough to become a big star leaving the WWWF then going back and forth between the NWA/WCW and the AWA. The guy was good though, both in the ring and on the mic and would likely have been a big territory star had he been 10 years younger. Iv'e always liked the guy and his early 90's WCW stuff with Arn and the DA is really worth a watch, WCW was on fire (product wise) around that period and all the Dangerous Alliance guys had a big part to play in that.

Was it ever explained on TV where Sid disappeared to when he left the WWF in the summer of 1997? Also why did he leave at that time? He was gone before Canadian Stampede wasn't he? Then vanished until his ECW stint two years later.

I wonder where Sid would have fit in if he'd stuck around for the Attitude era in 98.

There was a story in a raw magazine about him being in a car crash with some other wrestlers

• Paid Members
There was a story in a raw magazine about him being in a car crash with some other wrestlers

I believe that story did actually make it to TV and was the explanation for Sid missing the April and May pay per views, prior to returning on the 2nd June Raw, and his disappearance following the July 14th Raw (last match wrestled on a house show on the 14th of June) was not mentioned at all.

Speaking of the July 14th Raw, when Sid/Austin/Shawn/Patriot/Shamrock stood on the ramp, it made me really want to see them fight the Harts 5 on 5. Curse you WWF, you got my hopes up!

Edited by air_raid