UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

As stated in every magazine and when anyone makes the mistake, despite being the same and now a similar belt the WWE World title does not relate to or have any lineage with the WCW or NWA World Heavyweight Titles due to the fact the former WCW title was merged with the WWE title.

However the WWE United States title does have direct lineage to the WCW/NWA version even though the WCW US Title was unified with the IC title in 2001.

For what seem like similar circumstances is it just simply that one was announced as being the same title brought back and the other was not that makes the difference to the background or something else I am missing?

Legendary heel wrestling manager 'The Grand Wizard' was Ernie Roth, who died in 1983. I seem to remember a guy popped up on WWE commentary in about 1993 or 1994 also using the name 'The Wizard'. Who was that?

The Wizard was a heel color commentator on All-American Wrestling in 1993. He was played by Bruce 'Brother Love' Prichard.

Legendary heel wrestling manager 'The Grand Wizard' was Ernie Roth, who died in 1983. I seem to remember a guy popped up on WWE commentary in about 1993 or 1994 also using the name 'The Wizard'. Who was that?

I think that was just Bruce Pritchard. He also done a Dusty Rhodes parody for a short while around that time. Came off more like Lash Leroux though, hence it was obviously shit.

• Paid Members
As stated in every magazine and when anyone makes the mistake, despite being the same and now a similar belt the WWE World title does not relate to or have any lineage with the WCW or NWA World Heavyweight Titles due to the fact the former WCW title was merged with the WWE title.

However the WWE United States title does have direct lineage to the WCW/NWA version even though the WCW US Title was unified with the IC title in 2001.

For what seem like similar circumstances is it just simply that one was announced as being the same title brought back and the other was not that makes the difference to the background or something else I am missing?

With the titles, The Us title is practically the same title just re-named each time, as WCW kept the US title on whilst the NWA just stopped recognizing it. After is was unified in WWE, they brought it back, announcing it was the same title just re-branded for the WWE.

Whilst the world title is physically similar to the WCW title, it was announced this was a new championship, and not related to the WCW title in anyway. The WCW belt in itself split from the NWA in the early 90's, (NWA still runs today), and as far as I'm aware only the NWA championship has direct links, (via unification's) to the original world champions from the early 1900's.

So yeah, they just sort of announced it was the same as it shares the name "World Championship" to some degree.

• Paid Members

Didn't Bischoff say it was the same title when they brought the belt out to give to Hunter? That's good enough for me. They bought and own WCW, if they say it's the same title, it's the same title. They can do what they want with it. In effect to me they "un-unified" the titles when the Undisputed title came into dispute.

But no, the WCW title and NWA title should not be confused, even though there was a brief period of time in 1991 where Ric Flair held both. It's a wildly popular misconception, propagated by the fact that WCW consistently claimed their title dated back to 1908 long after they seceded from the Alliance. Which if course, they had no right to do.

• Paid Members
Didn't Bischoff say it was the same title when they brought the belt out to give to Hunter? That's good enough for me. They bought and own WCW, if they say it's the same title, it's the same title. They can do what they want with it. In effect to me they "un-unified" the titles when the Undisputed title came into dispute.

Are you sure? I was under the impression he said it was the same in appearance but a new title, hence the current title history on WWE.com, as it lists the world heavyweight title and WCW title separately?

Might of made it up though.

• Paid Members

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xzDFQQQVPc

To my mind, Bischoff refers to the last holder being Hunter, and "previous" men that have held that championship. It's implicit rather than explicit, but for me, those words suggest it's the same title.

Which UK promotions regularly run more than 10 different towns?

I'm thinking All Star, LDN, Ravenhill... any others?

Premier Promotions run shows seemingly at least once a year in Worthing, Brighton, Lychett Minster(?), Eastbourne, Bournemouth, Dorking, Burgess Hill, Bedford, Crawley & Camberley. Probably forgetting a few too.

• Paid Members

To my mind, Bischoff refers to the last holder being Hunter, and "previous" men that have held that championship. It's implicit rather than explicit, but for me, those words suggest it's the same title.

Meh, I have no idea then hah.

I'm sure in WWE-land its the only "World heavyweight title" that ever existed anyway, barring the WWE title of course!

• Paid Members
Where do wrestling federations buy their tables? I can't say I've ever seen fold up tables rigged to break in the middle easily in B&Q or Homebase.

From what I understand, they actually are the same standard wooden tables you can buy from most hardware stores. They are made from compressed saw dust, but yet are stupidly solid. Some have the under-frame tampered with or totally removed to allow an easier break, but it must be said that it's best to aim for the middle for obvious reasons.

Considering all of this, I have seen people bounce off of them, because again they are quite strong.

That's a load of bollocks -- if there was a firm rule that being merged with another title meant previous lineage was wiped out, then the Intercontinental title only dates back to Christian.

WWE is somewhat inconsistent with regards to its relation to the WCW title. Sometimes the World title is a continuation of the WCW title, sometimes it isn't, depending on who is talking and how they feel that day.