UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Vamp, that was a brilliant recap post. Between that and the mask thread I’m hungry to see a bit of AAA now myself.

I guess starting from the Night of Champions makes the most sense. Unless you want to go all the way back to the start of the year and watches Reyes de Reyes. But that'd be a hell of a lot of catching up to do.

How many big events has there been between this and Triplemania then? And can you give me some event names? I’m going to head over to the tape trading board and try to get hold of them! :)

I've just realised I put Reyes de Reyes instead of Rey de Reyes. Kings of Kings would be such a shitty event. Well done, you're all kings, no need to lucha.

Night of Champions was the last big event and is the one that has just been shown on the weekly AAA TV show. I've only seen the first half so far but it had most of the big names doing something.

Edited by Vamp

Nice summation. the characters and stories in AAA tend to be more interesting than the action. Just one thing though; I would be surprised if Hector Garza was ever near the CMLL booking team. The only active guy who is would be Ultimo Guerrero.

Richie, are you into the acrobats and highflyer types? You'll get a tonne of it in AAA. Their flyers are probably the best in the world, so even though they're rarely doing much of any note in terms of the bigger picture, they manage to keep themselves occupied with little feuds on the undercards. You have the good guys - Fenix, Aerostar, Atomic Boy, Laredo Kid, Sugi, Super fly, and the excellent Drago who you probably saw the awesome pic of yesterday (although he's often further up the card). They do battle with some fun veteran rudos, and the milicia who are basically the lowest ranked of all the factions under the 'sociedad' umbrella. They're never classics or anything, but they can be pretty spectacular. Highflying innovation is a feature that's always been associated with AAA.

Edited by Reznor

Nice summation. the characters and stories in AAA tend to be more interesting than the action. Just one thing though; I would be surprised if Hector Garza was ever near the CMLL booking team. The only active guy who is would be Ultimo Guerrero.

Richie, are you into the acrobats and highflyer types? You'll get a tonne of it in AAA. Their flyers are probably the best in the world, so even though they're rarely doing much of any note in terms of the bigger picture, they manage to keep themselves occupied with little feuds on the undercards. You have the good guys - Fenix, Aerostar, Atomic Boy, Laredo Kid, Sugi, Super fly, and the excellent Drago who you probably saw the awesome pic of yesterday (although he's often further up the card). They do battle with some fun veteran rudos, and the milicia who are basically the lowest ranked of all the factions under the 'sociedad' umbrella. They're never classics or anything, but they can be pretty spectacular. Highflying innovation is a feature that's always been associated with AAA.

You might be right about Garza, I'll ammend it. For some reason I could have sworn I'd read it somewhere, but I just tried to google it and couldn't find anything. Odd.

And your description of the undercard guys is spot on. I didn't put them in because they're not much of a focus and their feuds, when they're going on, are pretty easy to follow, but they are often the most exciting bit of the shows. They don't really appear enough. There was a tag match a couple of weeks ago that was pretty fun, annoyingly I can't remember who was in it.

Also, is there any chance we could see a AAA and TNA talent exchange at some stage.

Like with WCW in the 90's.

I'm wary about saying no because obviously TNA have worked similar agreements before but I don't think it's on the cards with this particular deal. I don't think TNA give much of a shit. Maybe it's because Jeff Jarrett's been the one who's worked in AAA frequently since the angle began but I get the impression it's more of his dealio and everyone else is just going along with it and letting Jeff have his thing. Quite why they would I don't know. I wonder if TNA would be wary about bringing in AAA stars because with previous luchadores they've had problems with visas, drugs (if I remember rightly) and injuries.

Whilst the questions thread is gripped by Lucha fever, I thought I might as well add:

Does anyone know of any prominant luchadores from Spain, Portugal or South America, in particular Brazil and Argentina? I'd have expected to have heard about Lucha in these other Latin territories, but apart from 100% Lucha (which I know next to nothing about), I'm clueless.

• Paid Members

He did it a few times. Mania 13, Survivor Series 97 (where they fucked the glass up and only half of it came down) and SummerSlam 98. All different logos. I always thought it looked class. They originally did it with Diesel. Diesel's entrance looked awesome. They projected a Diesel engine trunk onto a sugar glass screen and it looked like it made impact and shattered the glass, to reveal Diesel standing there looking cool as fuck.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI3bxDYy8fI

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

Cheers Tommy & Ian. I knew there was more than one occasion and that it happened at least once at MSG, but I thought it was Survivor Series 1996 rather than Summerslam 1998. Just watched Austin vs Hart from 1996 so knew I'd got mixed up from another show!

Whilst the questions thread is gripped by Lucha fever, I thought I might as well add:

Does anyone know of any prominant luchadores from Spain, Portugal or South America, in particular Brazil and Argentina? I'd have expected to have heard about Lucha in these other Latin territories, but apart from 100% Lucha (which I know next to nothing about), I'm clueless.

When it comes to South America I know that in the excellent Dimleby documentary last year Dimbleby got involved in a wrestling match down in Bolivia. Their top angle seemed to be two women from the persecuted Indian community competing against various male tag teams. Seems like not all wrestling is sexist. The BBC also recently had this rather short report on wrestling in Columbia http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-18446416 It also seems that not a week goes by without someone on the Death Valley Driver message board recommending some lucha libre from Chile. I haven't watched any of it myself but it seems there's a bit of it at http://www.youtube.com/user/maastorga93/videos No idea what it's like as I haven't watched any of it. Dick Togo seems to be down there at the moment as part of his retirement tour.