UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

What was the story behind Giant Haystack's WCW stint in 96? Fit Finlay showed up around the same time and Brookside/Dean worked the B shows that year so there was obviously some sort of UK link behind the scenes but as far as I can recall WCW hadn't toured the UK since the Hulkamania tour in 94 so it all seems a bit out of nowhere.

I think Brookside and Dean were signed in 1997 after they debuted in NJPW for the Jr's tourney.

Ahh right, I had it in my head that there was a sudden influx of Brits around the same time which is what I found quite odd. Would still be interestiing to know where the deal with Haystacks came from though. I'd imagine Finlay was signed on Regal's recommendation so maybe Haystacks was the same?

• Paid Members

Didn't WCW get on TNT over here in late 95/early 96? They might have brought in Haystacks to target than market. Haystacks seemed to debut around the time WCW Nitro debuted on TNT UK. It was only 7 or 8 years after ITV took it off TV. There might have been old wrestling fans still knocking about in this country. They teased a Hogan/Haystacks showdown at one of the PPVs, as scary as that sounds. They werent bringing him in to do Saturday Night squash matches.

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

Didn't WCW get on TNT over here in late 95/early 96? They might have brought in Haystacks to target than market. Haystacks seemed to debut around the time WCW Nitro debuted on TNT UK. It was only 7 or 8 years after ITV took it off TV. There might have been old wrestling fans still knocking about in this country. They teased a Hogan/Haystacks showdown at one of the PPVs, as scary as that sounds. They werent bringing him in to do Saturday Night squash matches.

Surely if they were trying to target that market they would of called him Haystacks and not Loch Ness they would of had the oppurunity Sure Robbie Brookside said something like they were just looking to sign anyone with talent and Regal had said he knew some guys. Sure Robbie was complaining about it being a waste of time because he was hardly used.

Couldn't have been any worse than the match he had with The Giant after his health problems put an end to the Hogan feud.

Good theory about Nitro starting in the UK. Dunno about bringing him in for name value but it would certainly explain why the UK scene was on their radar at the time.

• Paid Members
Surely if they were trying to target that market they would of called him Haystacks and not Loch Ness they would of had the oppurunity Sure Robbie Brookside said something like they were just looking to sign anyone with talent and Regal had said he knew some guys. Sure Robbie was complaining about it being a waste of time because he was hardly used.

Loch Ness was his name in Calgary, because there was already a famous Hackstacks in North America. Also there was already a wrestler working under "The Giant" name. There's a few reasons to call him Loch Ness. Everyone over here knew it was Haystacks though, so that wouldnt have been a problem. Its not they he was working under a mask.

As I say, I dont know the reason, but the timing was perfect to bring in a group of Brits. Especially, when WCW began airing on DSF, they brought in Alex Wright (who also did broadcasting and promotion for the channel).

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

• Paid Members
What was the story behind Giant Haystack's WCW stint in 96? Fit Finlay showed up around the same time and Brookside/Dean worked the B shows that year so there was obviously some sort of UK link behind the scenes but as far as I can recall WCW hadn't toured the UK since the Hulkamania tour in 94 so it all seems a bit out of nowhere.

I think Brookside and Dean were signed in 1997 after they debuted in NJPW for the Jr's tourney.

Ahh right, I had it in my head that there was a sudden influx of Brits around the same time which is what I found quite odd. Would still be interestiing to know where the deal with Haystacks came from though. I'd imagine Finlay was signed on Regal's recommendation so maybe Haystacks was the same?

Regal worked with Haystacks in dark matches on the first WCW tour in 1991, so that would make sense. It may have been something as simple as Hogan saying "Earthquake's done, I've beaten Vader and I'm sorting out Zeus soon enough, but I could do with another giant to knock off cos we haven't even thought of the nWo yet" and Regal saying "I know this huge dude who can definitely still move and hasn't got cancer or anything."

• Paid Members
Was it seen as odd that Ultimate Warrior wasn't in the tournament at WrestleMania IV? I understand the booking logic behind not putting him in, but wouldn't fans have considered him in the top fourteen in the federation at the time?

Looking back on results he wasn't really that high up in the cards. He was mainly working with Hercules or Race and even by the weeks before Mania he was still usually closing the first half on the B shows at best. Muraco was probably the lowest down of the babyfaces who were in the tournament, and he was certainly higher up on house shows at the time.

Bear in mind he'd only actually been the Ultimate Warrior and featured regularly on TV for about five months at this point -- before that he was just working as Dingo Warrior and squashing Steve Lombardi on house show openers.

• Moderators

Just come across this picture

04.jpg

Did Brother Brutii do some Cuttin' 'n' Struttin' prior to WMIII then? I always thought he didn't become a barber until after the Piper vs Adonis match and the Dream Team IMPLODED vs The Rougeaus? Or am I an idiot and it's a newish picture? You can never tell with Greg Valentine.

Edited by PowerButchi

Just come across this picture

04.jpg

Did Brother Brutii do some Cuttin' 'n' Struttin' prior to WMIII then? I always thought he didn't become a barber until after the Piper vs Adonis match and the Dream Team IMPLODED vs The Rougeaus? Or am I an idiot and it's a newish picture? You can never tell with Greg Valentine.

Errr...You're an idiot.

Edited by moofasa

• Paid Members
Errr...You're an idiot.

Elaborate, then. Where's the picture from?

In 2001 Valentine reformed the tag team with Beefcake in Massachussetts

Why not just say that in the first place, then? Twat.

Errr...You're an idiot.

Elaborate, then. Where's the picture from?

In 2001 Valentine reformed the tag team with Beefcake in Massachussetts

Why not just say that in the first place, then? Twat.

Because he asked. Like if I asked you am I being a twat? I didn't and as such am highly offended.