UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Finally getting round to subscribing to Stone Cold's podcast. Any past episodes that are particularly good or worth a listen. I can see a good few interviews on there, which are the best ones to download?

Brets/Nash's are great. Tried to listen to Tim Whites one other day but couldn't with Austin interrupting too much.

• Paid Members
Superbrawl 2 sounds awesome!!

It really is. I deliberately didn't mention the Luger/Sting main event as I only wanted to mention the great matches and for me that was a bit of a letdown, but it was certainly "marquee" and had a decent build. Just make sure it's the full version you watch, if you watch it, not the chopped-up VHS version.

1992 was an amazing year for wrestling PPVs and WCW delivered some awesome ones. I didn't even mention the Great American Bash which had a couple of belters. Havoc was largely balls (as was tradition) but even that has a staggering match with Rhodes/Windham vs "Steve Williams and Steve Williams" if you catch my drift - Dr Death & Stunning Steve.

Finally getting round to subscribing to Stone Cold's podcast. Any past episodes that are particularly good or worth a listen. I can see a good few interviews on there, which are the best ones to download?

Brets/Nash's are great. Tried to listen to Tim Whites one other day but couldn't with Austin interrupting too much.

I enjoyed the Tim White one. I was hoping it would contain some good Andre stories and it did.

The first Josh Barnett one is a nice listen too, also Trish Stratus.

Dead Mike, if your mate is familiar with WWF/E, I'd go for World War 3 1996. It was a toss up between 96 and 98, but if you went for 98 you might have to explain the nWo backstory and the way they've split into two, plus the undercard is shite with the two no-contests, a Bobby Duncum match and the fact the monster World Champion is having a night off. Page/Bret is good, but on the whole it's just not a satisfying card. Have a go at 1996 for a great snapshot of the the "nWo invading" and "Sting's gone off in a huff" period.

If you're looking for PPVs that have just got lots of good matches on, I'd personally entertain SuperBrawl II (Pillman/Liger, Rhodes & Windham/Austin & Zbyszko, Steiners/Anderson & Eaton, Steamboat/Rude), Beach Blast '92 (Sting/Cactus, Vader debut, Rude/Steamboat Iron Man) or Spring Stampede '94 as mentioned.

If you want one that simply has the best/most heated single match on it, I'd pick between SuperBrawl I (Sting/Luger v Steiners) or Wrestle War '92 (for the best War Games of all time).

If you fancy one where you can set the scene and watch a storyline play out throughout - Starrcade '97. The climax of the year's storylines with the nWo against WCW for the World title (Hogan v Sting) the US title (Perfect v DDP) and control of Nitro (Bischoff v Zbyszko) as well as Luger/Bagwell and an undercard Steiners six-man.

The first one I found more enjoyable than the other years and the ending kept you enticed to what was going to happen on the weekly TV.

I don't think that's particularly relevant when they're just going to sit down and watch the PPV, 18 years later.

If your a japanese fan you ll love the tag team womens match they had with those girls who wrestled on the Survivor Series PPV.

Not one of the four girls that wrestled at World War 3 ever wrestled on a Survivor Series. But yeah, if Dead Mike and his mate know Japanese wrestling one team is Bull Nakano (former WWF Womens Champion) and Akira Hokuto, one of the best Joshi wrestlers ever.

Pretty sure Benoit & Sasuke wrestled on the show as well so all in all a entertaining PPV.

If you mean wrestled each other, you're wrong. If you mean wrestled separate matches, you're still wrong. Sasuke didn't wrestle on that PPV. Or indeed, any WCW PPV in 1995. Or ever. In fact, I don't think he ever wrestled on a WCW show ever. I could be wrong, but he definitely never wrestled a PPV for them, as he did ECW and the WWF.

P.S. Hogan says it was his idea to win the WWF title at WrestleMania IX so he could drop it back to Yoko at a later date. ;)

I think he meant Kensuke Sasake, whom Benoit did wrestle at WW3 1995 for the US title.

• Paid Members
Sasuke didn't wrestle on that PPV.

I think he meant Kensuke Sasake, whom Benoit did wrestle at WW3 1995 for the US title.

Sasaki you both meant, then.

I'd echo the shouts for Superbrawl II, Beach Blast 92 and Spring Stampede 94 (not so much Starrcade 97 or the Superbrawl I tag), but would also add Souled Out 98 as it's brilliant. Other ones that are a lot of fun include Slamboree 94 and Great American Bash '96. Also, whilst Bash at the Beach '94 and '96 are more renowned for their historical significance, they're both pretty fun shows in their own right.

If you fancy seeing a bit of a snapshot of how things were latterly, most will probably tell you to check out one of their three 2001 PPVs, but i'd go back a few months for Fall Brawl 2000, which is a great little event imo, and not wholly because of the hugely pimped Goldberg/Steiner.

To be fair, it's hard to go wrong with almost anything from 1997 into the first half of '98. It might not all be snowflake heavy, but the variety almost always made for a fun, well balanced show - except Starrcade oddly enough, which, for all it's big time feel and historical significance, was pretty grim viewing. And made all the worse by virtue of the fact it was an amazing time for WCW with all the happenings, unreal roster, and all the new additions.

And of course, if you want to go way back, some of the best shows were in the late 80s and 1990, with the likes of GAB '89 which many consider the best ever, and '90 which is probably about as good as it;s going to get if you're into tag team wrestling. Capitol Combat was a great show too imo.

I'd probably just skip all the World War III's unless something on the undercard catches your eye. In theory it sounds like a great concept, and seeing the visual of 60 guys in 3 rings is pretty neat, but after that novelty's worn off, they generally descend into an unwatchable mess. In practice, the concept just doesn't work imo, you can barely tell what's going on.

• Paid Members

I always thought the tag match (Steiners vs Sting & Luger) at Superbrawl 1 wasn't very good. Just a collection of high-spots with absolutely nothing in between. I much preferred the main event of Flair vs Fujinami. Bloody great, hard-hitting, chest-smashing match.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
Havoc was largely balls (as was tradition) but even that has a staggering match with Rhodes/Windham vs "Steve Williams and Steve Williams" if you catch my drift - Dr Death & Stunning Steve.

That match is awesome, just four top drawer workers.

That rest of that card is pretty bad, but the Steamboat-Pillman match is decent, and it has a passable Rick Rude-Kensuke Sasaki match.

While Ron Simmon's match with The Barbarian isn't great, Simmons looks like a star during his entrance! The main event is pure Wrestlecrap, especially with the whole 'Spin the Wheel Make the deal' aspect (which they really should have gimmicked), but I have a strange love for that card, maybe nostalgia for the WCW Worldwide on ITV days I suppose.

• Paid Members
That rest of that card is pretty bad, but the Steamboat-Pillman match is decent, and it has a passable Rick Rude-Kensuke Sasaki match.

Not quite. Rude worked Chono at Havoc, and I remember it being pretty dull. Having said that, I haven't watched it for years. Because I remember it being dull. Rude making Vader sub for him against Nikita Koloff is hilarious though.

Wow, shitty 24 hours in this thread for Kensuke.

The main event is pure Wrestlecrap, especially with the whole 'Spin the Wheel Make the deal' aspect (which they really should have gimmicked),

That's just typical WCW though isn't it? To take something that easily could have been under their control be completely NOT. Then again, that's Watts I suppose. If you need us to rig what gimmick match you're having, you're a fucking pussy and you shouldn't be in the industry.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
Shitty career for Kensuke, you mean? Never rated him. And he's a murderer.

The first half of his career was pretty dull, but at some point in 2003-2004 he just suddenly started having exciting matches. His G1 in 2004 included a great cat and mouse with a fairly green Tanahashi and a blinding battle of the bulls with Takayama, and most of what I saw from him since was quite enjoyable. If you like that sort of thing. And yes, I'm one of the ones that think him and Kobashi chopping each other for five minutes was great, rather than daft. Or worst case, it was daft but it was also great.

• Paid Members

Not quite. Rude worked Chono at Havoc, and I remember it being pretty dull. Having said that, I haven't watched it for years. Because I remember it being dull. Rude making Vader sub for him against Nikita Koloff is hilarious though.

The main event is pure Wrestlecrap, especially with the whole 'Spin the Wheel Make the deal' aspect (which they really should have gimmicked),

That's just typical WCW though isn't it? To take something that easily could have been under their control be completely NOT. Then again, that's Watts I suppose. If you need us to rig what gimmick match you're having, you're a fucking pussy and you shouldn't be in the industry.

Sorry, brain fart there, Sasaki was one of the referees in that match with Rude and Chono and I mixed up the names, apologies! I remember it being fairly decent if not a bit slow, but that could well be nostalgia talking.

Still seems crazy that they didn't rig the wheel, but I love the idea that Watts was so old school, even in the face of this terrible comedy wheel gimmick.

Also, the vignette with Jake and the midget ala White Castle of Fear is phenomenal.

Absolutely love 1992 WCW.

Sorry, brain fart there, Sasaki was one of the referees in that match with Rude and Chono and I mixed up the names, apologies! I remember it being fairly decent if not a bit slow, but that could well be nostalgia talking.

Still seems crazy that they didn't rig the wheel, but I love the idea that Watts was so old school, even in the face of this terrible comedy wheel gimmick.

Also, the vignette with Jake and the midget ala White Castle of Fear is phenomenal.

Absolutely love 1992 WCW.

Has there ever been such a drop in quality from the G1 Climax match with Rude/Chono to the rematch at Havoc? I think it was around this time that the Japanese were told to not work full pace so as to not outshine the American main events, which might account why the Chono/Mutoh match from the next PPV was so mediocre. I thought Simmons/Barbarian was ok though - always liked those two...