UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Remember watching a match on youtube of a giant indian (of Pakistani style desent) bloke (who was the drizzling shits in the ring) and a really old Japanese wrestler (THE really old Japanese wrestler. Wrestled into his 60's)

The Indian tried shooting on the old bloke but the old bloke knocked him about and made him humble.

Who is the Indian in this match?

• Paid Members

Assuming you mean for TV, it would have been when they replaced Championship Wrestling and All-Star Wrestling with Superstars of Wrestling and Wrestling Challenge in late 1986. They switched from taping each show in the same (relatively small) venue with only the ring lit well to taping in different larger arenas round the country with the crowd fully lit.

Stuff taped at house shows (either when the show was broadcast on a local cable network like MSG, or when matches were recorded for Prime Time) remained with just the ring lit.

I'd never thought about it before, but the initial Saturday Night's Main Events were ring-lit only, while later ones were crowd-lit, so I wouldn't be surprised if they made the switch the same time as launching Superstars/Challenge.

I think he might mean more recently? As someone who didn't watch any WWE for a few years, when I dipped into Raw earlier this year I could have sworn the arenas were more brightly lit than in the past; certainly more lit than TNA.

That might be something to do with HD I guess?

• Paid Members

I'm currently watching WrestleMania 26 on blu-ray, courtesy of the Silvervision sale last Wednesday, and it got me thinking... Is MVP better now for his time in Japan? Anyone out there in UKFFland seen much of his stuff there?

Assuming you mean for TV, it would have been when they replaced Championship Wrestling and All-Star Wrestling with Superstars of Wrestling and Wrestling Challenge in late 1986. They switched from taping each show in the same (relatively small) venue with only the ring lit well to taping in different larger arenas round the country with the crowd fully lit.

Stuff taped at house shows (either when the show was broadcast on a local cable network like MSG, or when matches were recorded for Prime Time) remained with just the ring lit.

I'd never thought about it before, but the initial Saturday Night's Main Events were ring-lit only, while later ones were crowd-lit, so I wouldn't be surprised if they made the switch the same time as launching Superstars/Challenge.

Yeah I meant for TV. Thanks for that. I'm currently reading sex lies and headlocks, the author made a big deal of how much the WWF's production stepped up when they went on NBC with SNME.

Do you know the first PPV to have the crowd fully lit? I was watching Summerslam 1988 at the garden last night, that must have been the first fully lit show at MSG?

Also when did signs start appearing at WWE events?

• Paid Members

On the same Raw where Mike Tyson and Steve Austin faced off, Jeff Jarret defended the NWA North American title against Bradshaw.

Why was an NWA title in the WWF at that point? Are there many other instances of NWA titles popping up in the WWF?

Edited by El Nicko Loco

• Moderators

It was the NWA invasion, and it was shit.

Jeff Jarrett - North American Title

Rock n Roll Express (coming out to The Rockers music) > Headbangers > New Midnight Express - World Tag Team Titles

Dan Severn - NWA World Heavyweight Title

Barry Windham was also a member of the group. I think it was pretty much a rib on Jim Cornette perpetrated by Vince Russo.

It was the NWA invasion, and it was shit.

Jeff Jarrett - North American Title

Rock n Roll Express (coming out to The Rockers music) > Headbangers > New Midnight Express - World Tag Team Titles

Dan Severn - NWA World Heavyweight Title

Barry Windham was also a member of the group. I think it was pretty much a rib on Jim Cornette perpetrated by Vince Russo.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was just a vehicle for Russo to get at Cornette to make him look stupid and totally outmoded in the genesis of the Attitude era. In angle terms, it stemmed directly from the last of Cornette's famous "shoots", which was pretty whiny and littered with more storyline shit compared to the previous ones. There were layers to it based on a series of columns Cornette had penned in Raw Magazine at the time about old school and traditional wrestling too - themselves an enormous contrast to the rest of the magazine and overall tone of the product.

The Rock n Roll's were absolutely horrific by then too, belonged nowhere near the show. JJ has his ludicrous-but-great onesie and so-shit-it-ends-up-good music, but those were pretty much the only positives.