UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Just been watching Godwinns interview. Had no idea one of them broke their neck so severely after a botched DDD from Legion Of Doom. Memory is a bit hazy but i was thinking something as severe as that would have been stuck in my mind and regularly brought up in discussions but i don't remember a thing about it.

With RAW being taped back then did the full match get scratched from the TV broadcast >?

EDI: 21st April 1997 if that helps

It aired fully on Shotgun Saturday Night. They used it in a storyline when he came back and they turned heel, showing the clips again numerous times on TV months later.

Just been watching Godwinns interview. Had no idea one of them broke their neck so severely after a botched DDD from Legion Of Doom. Memory is a bit hazy but i was thinking something as severe as that would have been stuck in my mind and regularly brought up in discussions but i don't remember a thing about it.

With RAW being taped back then did the full match get scratched from the TV broadcast >?

Can't remember seeing it at the time, but the neck break was the focus of their feud once Godwinn got back in the ring, they often showed the clip of it happening, sao i guess the match did air. It was pretty ugly. They definitely showed it on the One Night Only tape as i watched it just a few months back. The pretty cool/mad/admirable thing about it was that i'm sure Henry Godwinn took the doomsday Device again on a few occasions. Phineus/Mideon to his credit also took it for real too, which surprised me as he was always one of the least agile big guys around and not well known for his bumping.

I remember after the botch, guys took the Doomsday Device differently.

They just took a flat, back bump rather than spinning about 200 times and hitting the floor. The move didn't look as good then, but you can respect why they changed it.

The Godwins get a cheap win the week before that date over LOD, but no match between them airs on the date you listed. By the week after, the LOD are wrestling Furnas and LaFon.

Thanks for helping out on that guys, always good so many people on here willing to assist, much appreciated. Cheers for the clip on youtube too, looked ridiculously painful.

I remember at the time wondering why people didn't take the doomsday device with the 270 degree flip added on, never realised at the time it may have inadvertently came as a result of that.

• Paid Members
Can anyone settle a query here? I have a cousin who swears that Hulk Hogan once performed a hurricanrana in WCW, but I said to him that he is confusing Hogan taking one from Billy Kidman in 2000. Who's right?

Pretty certain that he didn't perform one - I do remember PowerSlam describing it in a confusing way, though. I remember thinking he performed a Huracanrana as well, after reading that, but after I watched the match, I realised they'd described it badly.

Back last summer, there were fairly strong rumours going around of a new major promotion which was going to be set up in Florida before the end of the year. One of the names mentioned was Vader and I believe Chris Jericho's name was put with it as well. The whole thing seemed completely unrealistic and sure enough it has never come to pass.

I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about what was going on there? Who was behind it? What was the original plan? Have plans been completely shelved and if so, how far did they get before they were?

• Paid Members

This is what was said in December, and nothing has been reported since, so I'd imagine we can put that promotion to bed:

The Worldwide Wrestling Promotions upstart in Florida looks to be dead even before it got started. None of the wrestlers or even those in management capacities that were set to work with the project have had any communication in months with those organizing the promotion.

This is what was said in December, and nothing has been reported since, so I'd imagine we can put that promotion to bed:

The Worldwide Wrestling Promotions upstart in Florida looks to be dead even before it got started. None of the wrestlers or even those in management capacities that were set to work with the project have had any communication in months with those organizing the promotion.

Fair enough.

Has anyone ever performed a piledriver off the top rope? I'm sure it was a move available in a wrestling game I played back in the late 80s, but I'm assuming it's way too dangerous in real life.

• Paid Members

Benoit did indeed tombstone Jericho off the middle in the Super J Cup 95. But it looked a bit crap.

Justin Credible did a middle rope Thats Incredible on Jerry Lynn at Heat Wave 98.

EDIT

About 6:20.

Jerry Lynn dies 6:50

Here's one taken by Akira Hokuto

Edited by air_raid_crash

• Paid Members

There's also a variety of really stupid indyrrific piledriver variations off the ropes on Youtube, but I can't be bothered posting them.

There's also a moonsault Styles Clash botch that actually knocks the guy out and they have to pretend that he kicked out. Thats right, a moonsault Styles Clash was booked to be a near fall. FFS.

Has anyone ever performed a piledriver off the top rope? I'm sure it was a move available in a wrestling game I played back in the late 80s, but I'm assuming it's way too dangerous in real life.

Other than the middle rope tombstones mentioned by Benoit and Credible and Rhyno's middle rope piledriver against Kid Kash (he did it against Jeff Hardy in TNA during Jeff's first run there too), I also recall that Roaddog defeated the 123 Kid using a middle rope piledriver at IYH 2 back in 1995 (see

)and Eric Embry was doing a middle rope piledriver in Memphis in the 80s (see
it looks nasty). I've also seen similar moves performed by Chris Kanyon, Chris Hamrick and CZW's Nick 'Bank Robber' Gage. I also remember The Carnage Crew doing a spike piledriver off a cage through a stack of tables on an early ROH show which was on the Wrestling Channel back in the day, but I can't find a clip of it.

It's all very dangerous anyway and not advisable I shouldn't think. Looks awesome when done right all the same!

Edited by fraserbee