The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members

I'm a big fan of Transmetropolitan, and just re-read the first TPB the other day. I think it's probably Darick Robertson's best work and definitely one of the best illustrated comics I've ever seen. I was truly gutted when I finished it.

• Moderators

Transmet is great.

The Invisibles is a series I'd also put up on that level in terms of a long running really well written series.

The Unwritten which is currently still going on and is on book 6 at the moment is utterly fantastic. I'd put it up on that level as well.

I've heard good things about Y: The Last Man too, but not got on to it as yet.

Y: The Last Man started brilliantly but went to shit. By the end it was awful.

My mate who got me into Preacher loves Transmetropolitan, but I couldn't get into it at all. I never gave it much of a chance though, i might. I don't think I've enjoyed anything of Grant Morrison's.

Ennis' The Boys shares some similarities with Preacher, Corey, but isn't as good.

• Paid Members

I never got the love for McKeans work on Serious House on Serious Earth (or the book as a whole, to be honest). I understand the logic behind it, but it just looks like someone went watercolour mixing and started flicking a brush around in the hope it resembled a DC character and every single person into comics mass ejaculated for no reason other than it was 'different'.

I found Y had a bit of an underwhelming climax but I did enjoy the journey.

The Boys on the other hand, aside from the odd occasion where it goes off at a tangent too heavily, was great all the way through and unlike Y had a great end.

I'm still loving Fables - need to get vol 18. I'm shocked it as been going this long and still maintained such a high quality - exceptional. Jack of Fables was equally great but i found the first Cinderella spin-off so disappointing I never bothered with the others.

Currently on volume 2 of Star Wars: Legacy and awaiting volume 4 of Morning Glories, both of which are great fun. Morning Glories has a bit of a Lost feel to it so far, and I can imagine it translating quite well to a TV show.

Edited by Midnight Zeus

• Paid Members
I heard bad things about The Boys. Possibly on here, from La Goosh.

So is it worth reading any of Y then? Or is it just going to lead to forcing myself through it but being disappointed? My mate has all the books.

The Boys has it's moments. The ending few collections are really good. In the middle it's pretty fucking dire. When it stops trying to be gross/shocking/funny and just tell the story it's bloody good.

I read the first Y book but couldn't get into it. I also read recently the first book of Chew which while I enjoyed I'm not sure I can be arsed with. Unless it gets a lot better I don't think it's worth the money.

The only thing I even read anymore is Fables. The Fairest collection and Werewolves of the Heartland were shite but the main Fables storyline still delivers every time. No idea where it's all going but I'm sure it'll be good. They've already had two massive battles for survival (the Adversary and Mr. Dark), interested to see how it all ends.

I never got the love for McKeans work on Serious House on Serious Earth (or the book as a whole, to be honest). I understand the logic behind it, but it just looks like someone went watercolour mixing and started flicking a brush around in the hope it resembled a DC character and every single person into comics mass ejaculated for no reason other than it was 'different'.

I wouldn't say I was mass ejaculating over it, I just really like the look of it as it looks completely different to anything I've read so far. I'd heard great things about the story, so grabbed a cheap version on Amazon market place to give it a bash and was taken a bit aback when I started just because it wasn't illustrated like anything I've read so far

• Paid Members

The Invisibles is another one I started about 10 years ago and never got round to finishing. I enjoyed it, but found the story to be very similar to Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, with sprinklings of The Matrix thrown in, and while the comic predates both of those it just made me feel like I'd heard it all before.

I never did finish The Boys either, think I got up to about the Herogasm spin-off series and it just reached a point where I'd had enough of visiting my 12 yr old brain. Obscene gratuity's great fun in small doses, but after a while it does tend to numb you, and when that happened with The Boys it just felt like there wasn't much left to hang onto.

Y: The Last Man still remains one of my favourite series to date, despite losing steam near the end. The more I read Preacher the more I see that Y was intended as one long ass love letter to the series, as evident by Yorick's 'Fuck Communism' zippo, so it's a shame I ended up reading Y first as I probably would have gotten even more of a kick out of it if I'd have understood the references.

Hadn't heard anything at all about The Unwritten though so I'll keep an eye out for it. Could you clue me in on the general story? I'd search myself but I don't trust that sneaky bastard Google when it comes to potential spoilers.

• Paid Members
Hadn't heard anything at all about The Unwritten though so I'll keep an eye out for it. Could you clue me in on the general story? I'd search myself but I don't trust that sneaky bastard Google when it comes to potential spoilers.

Imagine that, instead of Harry Potter, the hottest thing in fandom was a very similar series - the Tommy Taylor books, written by a guy who based the series on his son. So there's a real Tommy Taylor doing the convention rounds, autographing things. His Dad went missing after the 13th book.

At a press conference, someone stands up and points out they've been doing research into Tommy. He has no birth certificate. There's no record of his existence at all until the publication of the first book. So just who is he?

From there, it gets weird.

It's brilliant. Best thing Mike Carey has done, and I loved Lucifer.

I fell out with The Boys at around Herogasm as well, and came back to it about a dozen issues later. Once it got serious again, it actually ended up being pretty good, but it's a far, far cry from Preacher. Not even in the same league.

If you like Preacher and want to try something else, I'd suggest Garth Ennis' run on Hellblazer. It was written at a similar time, and there's some really good stuff in there. Other than Peter Milligan's run, which was atrocious, you can't really go wrong with Hellblazer, to be honest.

• Paid Members

Interesting hearing people's thoughts on Grant Morrison. I'm a big fan, but it took me time.

Part of the problem is that his work makes a lot more sense in completion. When you realise what he's been building to, a re-read tends to make a huge amount of difference. Or it does for me, anyway.

Look at his recent Batman run, for example. With the big event that's just happened that I won't discuss for spoilery reasons, the entire thing makes a lot more sense. Why it started where it started, and what the entire arc actually is. It's much the same with his run on X-Men, which may as well have been called 'How to make Scott Summers relevant'.

The Invisibles was one that I found difficult. It's all a bit inconsistent and incoherent in that way that Morrison likes sometimes. To the point where I was never quite sure if I loved it or hated it. I ended up reading that entire series three times in a row to make my mind up. I've not found that with many writers. (I need to re-read The Filth, actually, for exactly that reason).

With Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, I do love the artwork. It makes a lot more sense to me now that Morrison has mentioned that it's all meant to be Bruce's dream (or as he puts it, 'This is what this poor bastard dreams about') - especially when you bear in mind McKean's covers for Sandman. I think you sold it a bit short, because I love his composition, but then there are artists that I don't like.