The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members
Off-topic from Solomon Grundy, but I'm re-reading Knightfall at the minute in anticipating to the upcoming Batman movie, and because Knightfall is perhaps my favourite Batman saga. Bought myself the new re-release from DC a few weeks ago:

BMKFv1_cvr_r2.jpg

I only just picked up the old versions not too long ago, but the new Knightfall Part 1 contains Part 1 of the Vengeance of Bane doesn't it? His backstory in prison and what not

It does, yeah, which was a nice surprise. It also combines parts I and II which I had as separate graphic novels many moons ago.

• Paid Members
I've got the final part of Knightfall which doesn't feature much on Bane, but it was all that was available at the time so I got it and was confused and a little let down. But I may too get volume 1.

What is that 'chapter' like? As I've not read it. I presume it just covers JPV's reign as Batman?

I tend to order from Amazon Marketplace. One of the sellers "The Book Depository" sells books fairly cheap and delivers quickly. That's what I use.

The Book Depository has it's own website, and I was actually told that they're very good for prices recently too

• Moderators

Cool.. The Book Depository and Amazon are my go to places for books already, so I've not been missing a trick as far as comics go!

On a side note, I like that googlemap thing The Book Depository has where it shows you what book was purchased where on a world map, and how recently it was bought. I can watch that for a while once I start..

I've got the final part of Knightfall which doesn't feature much on Bane, but it was all that was available at the time so I got it and was confused and a little let down. But I may too get volume 1.

What is that 'chapter' like? As I've not read it. I presume it just covers JPV's reign as Batman?

Well, it didn't have much Bane in it at all which was a shame since that's why I bought it all those years ago. To be honest there was so much I missed out on I was very confused. Good in parts (particularly the Bruce Wayne bits) but you need the whole thing. That's all I can say, like I said it could be the greatest conclusion ever, but not a stand alone book at all.

Well, it didn't have much Bane in it at all which was a shame since that's why I bought it all those years ago. To be honest there was so much I missed out on I was very confused. Good in parts (particularly the Bruce Wayne bits) but you need the whole thing. That's all I can say, like I said it could be the greatest conclusion ever, but not a stand alone book at all.

The whole collection isn't standalone either. I couldn't tell you who JPV (Jean-Paul something?) is, other than some cunt who becomes Batman and is overly aggressive with it. And either before or after that, he's Azrael. But when I read it, I didn't have a clue who he was. That's my problem with a lot of comics. A "graphic novel" should be like a good film, rather than a good season 1595 of a 25000-season series. The Loeb/Sale Batman TPBs I've read are pretty much perfect for my purposes.

• Paid Members

The whole collection isn't standalone either. I couldn't tell you who JPV (Jean-Paul something?) is, other than some cunt who becomes Batman and is overly aggressive with it. And either before or after that, he's Azrael. But when I read it, I didn't have a clue who he was. That's my problem with a lot of comics. A "graphic novel" should be like a good film, rather than a good season 1595 of a 25000-season series. The Loeb/Sale Batman TPBs I've read are pretty much perfect for my purposes.

True, but at the same time when a large portion of your audience has been consistently reading every issue for years you can't just pander to the first timers and newbies. It's an ongoing series, that's what the collections are for.