The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

Well, I like Hush, which you can now get as a one volume book. It's a decent Batman story with lots of cool characters and twists.

Also you can get Death in the Family, I think it's pretty decent but obviously is more iconic than anything else.

Anyone got any views on the new 52? I am pissed to high heaven that one of my fav characters Green Arrow has been transformed into his Smallville equivalent and the story now feels convoluted with a hundred new characters, none of which actually add anything. Having only read the first new Justice League, I love the art (think it's Jim Lee) and the story seems pretty good, just don't like Green Lantern being written like a fucking dick.

• Paid Members
I've just had a look, and Cataclysm is one of those storylines spread across the regular Batman comics, which makes me think it'll just be one big wank over continuity -- and I don't know all the backstory. I'm after standalone miniseries stuff really, although I've read and quite enjoyed Knightfall.

I'm not a huge fan of either that or No Man's Land, however, they're not too continuity-wanky. The idea of both is simple: A massive, fuck off earthquake hits Gotham. That's basically it. Meanwhile, No Man's Land is about the reclamation of Gotham.

Add anther vote for Arkham Asylum - it's cerebral, but great. Batman: Gothic is also very good, and also written by Grant Morrison.

If you can get past the fact that most hated it, Morrison's recent run on Batman was rather awesome as well. Not as much one-off (although Batman & Robin volume 1 is worth a look for that), but some really great stuff in there.

Well, I like Hush, which you can now get as a one volume book. It's a decent Batman story with lots of cool characters and twists.

That's another Loeb/Sale one. I read it ages ago, thought it was really good (dunno if it has more weight if you've read Death in the Family, which I haven't, but I was familiar enough with the Jason Todd death). Read one of the Hush follow-ups as well, which was a prime example of everything I hate about continuity-fanwank gobshite mainstream Batman/superhero comics.

I'm not a huge fan of either that or No Man's Land, however, they're not too continuity-wanky. The idea of both is simple: A massive, fuck off earthquake hits Gotham. That's basically it. Meanwhile, No Man's Land is about the reclamation of Gotham.

I've got a passing familiarity with No Man's Land from Hitman, I might have a go at that and Cataclysm but I'm very suspicious of stuff from the main titles.

Add anther vote for Arkham Asylum - it's cerebral, but great. Batman: Gothic is also very good, and also written by Grant Morrison.

I'm not sure if I've read either of those, I want to say I have but the synopses are only vaguely familiar to me so if I did it was a good few years ago and I might give them another look.

If you can get past the fact that most hated it, Morrison's recent run on Batman was rather awesome as well. Not as much one-off (although Batman & Robin volume 1 is worth a look for that), but some really great stuff in there.

I've just had a look at a synopsis for that and it says Batman and Robin is an American comic book ongoing series, written by Grant Morrison and featuring Batman and Robin. The debut of the series follows the events of Batman R.I.P., Final Crisis, and Battle for the Cowl in which the original Batman, Bruce Wayne, apparently died at the hands of DC Comics villain Darkseid and features the winner of the Battle for the Cowl as the new Batman. The conclusion of Battle for the Cowl shows Dick Grayson ascending to the role of Batman, while Damian Wayne becomes the new Robin. Which sounds like an absolute nightmare for me. I haven't a fucking clue who Damian Wayne is, and I don't like the idea of jumping into a story where I need to know all of the above before it even starts.

Oh, another one - check out Batman: The Cult. Recently reprinted, and it's pretty good stuff.

Cheers for that, I'm on it. Via the Wikipedia page for it, I've happened upon IGN's Top 25 Batman Graphic Novels: http://uk.comics.ign.com/articles/624/624619p1.html

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members

I've got a passing familiarity with No Man's Land from Hitman, I might have a go at that and Cataclysm but I'm very suspicious of stuff from the main titles.

You might hate it. It's more like picking up a season boxset than a standalone, but you don't need to be steeped in bat-history for it.

I've just had a look at a synopsis for that and it says Batman and Robin is an American comic book ongoing series, written by Grant Morrison and featuring Batman and Robin. The debut of the series follows the events of Batman R.I.P., Final Crisis, and Battle for the Cowl in which the original Batman, Bruce Wayne, apparently died at the hands of DC Comics villain Darkseid and features the winner of the Battle for the Cowl as the new Batman. The conclusion of Battle for the Cowl shows Dick Grayson ascending to the role of Batman, while Damian Wayne becomes the new Robin. Which sounds like an absolute nightmare for me. I haven't a fucking clue who Damian Wayne is, and I don't like the idea of jumping into a story where I need to know all of the above before it even starts.

It was written as a jumping on point, and is kind of aimed towards new readers. All you need to know is that Bruce is dead, or is believed dead. That's honestly it, I think.

Damian is fucking awesome, and this is basically everything you need to know about him.

Turned out a few years ago that Bruce has an illegitimate son (with the daughter of Ra's Al Ghul) he didn't know about. He's a borderline psychotic little shit, and believes he deserves to inherit everything. Despite being a child, he's massively offended that Dick Grayson became Batman, and he believes he should be the senior partner of the team.

Don't go any further than that volume, as it then goes back into continuity-wank, but the first volume is pretty standalone if memory serves.

It was written as a jumping on point, and is kind of aimed towards new readers. All you need to know is that Bruce is dead, or is believed dead. That's honestly it, I think.

Damian is fucking awesome, and this is basically everything you need to know about him.

Turned out a few years ago that Bruce has an illegitimate son (with the daughter of Ra's Al Ghul) he didn't know about. He's a borderline psychotic little shit, and believes he deserves to inherit everything. Despite being a child, he's massively offended that Dick Grayson became Batman, and he believes he should be the senior partner of the team.

Don't go any further than that volume, as it then goes back into continuity-wank, but the first volume is pretty standalone if memory serves.

Nice summing up. You can imagine my surprise when I found out last year there was a new Batman and Robin. I really enjoyed Dick Grayson as Batman as he's trying to be his own Batman (he is) but occasionally doubts himself while Damian Wayne is an aggressive Robin with an attitude problem. Batman & Robin works for the relationship dynamic between the two. I

Batman RIP was a book that was hyped to hell but when I read it I had no fucking idea what was going on, the artwork was shit and the "shocking" ending was complete wank.

I've read it twice now and it didn't do much for me. I'll give it a third shot as I've got Final Crisis from my library so that might change my view. Most of the books I've read were from the library which is great for me because if a book turns out to be shit, least I haven't wasted my money on it.

Batwoman: Elegy is a terrific read, I'll recommend that to anyone who hasn't read it.

• 1 month later...

This could have gone in a few threads but this seems like the best place. Taken from The Guardian.

Alan Moore, one of the most influential comic book creators of the past few decades, has launched an attack on fellow industry stalwart Frank Miller, condemning his work as misogynistic, homophobic and "just completely misguided".

Moore, who is English, created critically acclaimed comics including V for Vendetta and Watchmen while the American Miller is responsible for Sin City and the seminal Batman comic Dark Knight Returns. Both have helped to reshape the comic book industry, with much of their work adapted for film.

Moore spoke after Miller launched an attack on the Occupy movement, describing it as "nothing but a pack of louts, thieves, and rapists, an unruly mob, fed by Woodstock-era nostalgia and putrid false righteousness" on his blog last month.

Asked by British independent publisher Honest Publishing for his thoughts, Moore said that he and Miller "have diametrically opposing views upon all sorts of things, but certainly upon the Occupy movement".

Moore described the worldwide anti-capitalism protests as "a completely justified howl of moral outrage" and said they had been "handled in a very intelligent, nonviolent way, which is probably another reason why Frank Miller would be less than pleased with it".

Moore predicted that "if it had been a bunch of young, sociopathic vigilantes with Batman makeup on their faces, [Miller would] be more in favour of it".

Miller sparked anger when he wrote that Occupy "is nothing short of a clumsy, poorly expressed attempt at anarchy" from "a bunch of iPhone, iPad-wielding spoiled brats who should stop getting in the way of working people and find jobs for themselves" because "America is at war against a ruthless enemy [al-Qaida and Islamism]".

Moore said the comments were "about what I'd expect from him". He added: "Frank Miller is someone whose work I've barely looked at for the past 20 years. I thought the Sin City stuff was unreconstructed misogyny; 300 [a 1998 comic book series] appeared to be wildly ahistoric, homophobic and just completely misguided. I think that there has probably been a rather unpleasant sensibility apparent in Frank Miller's work for quite a long time."

In Miller's latest work, Holy Terror, a new superhero, the Fixer, battles al-Qaida.

Moore, who calls himself an anarchist

This could have gone in a few threads but this seems like the best place. Taken from The Guardian.

Alan Moore, one of the most influential comic book creators of the past few decades, has launched an attack on fellow industry stalwart Frank Miller, condemning his work as misogynistic, homophobic and "just completely misguided".

Moore, who is English, created critically acclaimed comics including V for Vendetta and Watchmen while the American Miller is responsible for Sin City and the seminal Batman comic Dark Knight Returns. Both have helped to reshape the comic book industry, with much of their work adapted for film.

Moore spoke after Miller launched an attack on the Occupy movement, describing it as "nothing but a pack of louts, thieves, and rapists, an unruly mob, fed by Woodstock-era nostalgia and putrid false righteousness" on his blog last month.

Asked by British independent publisher Honest Publishing for his thoughts, Moore said that he and Miller "have diametrically opposing views upon all sorts of things, but certainly upon the Occupy movement".

Moore described the worldwide anti-capitalism protests as "a completely justified howl of moral outrage" and said they had been "handled in a very intelligent, nonviolent way, which is probably another reason why Frank Miller would be less than pleased with it".

Moore predicted that "if it had been a bunch of young, sociopathic vigilantes with Batman makeup on their faces, [Miller would] be more in favour of it".

Miller sparked anger when he wrote that Occupy "is nothing short of a clumsy, poorly expressed attempt at anarchy" from "a bunch of iPhone, iPad-wielding spoiled brats who should stop getting in the way of working people and find jobs for themselves" because "America is at war against a ruthless enemy [al-Qaida and Islamism]".

Moore said the comments were "about what I'd expect from him". He added: "Frank Miller is someone whose work I've barely looked at for the past 20 years. I thought the Sin City stuff was unreconstructed misogyny; 300 [a 1998 comic book series] appeared to be wildly ahistoric, homophobic and just completely misguided. I think that there has probably been a rather unpleasant sensibility apparent in Frank Miller's work for quite a long time."

In Miller's latest work, Holy Terror, a new superhero, the Fixer, battles al-Qaida.

Moore, who calls himself an anarchist

The protest didn't have enough damn dames and big amrican muscle cars with engines like straining, wild horses for Miller's liking. His art seems to have gone off the boil a bit too. Maybe he shouldn't have divorced Lyn Varley?

And I quite liked 300 and enjoyed Sin City- for the most part- a great deal. But Miller clearly has unresolved issues with women. Maybe he wasn't brestfed or something