The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

In case anyone hasn't seen, Marvel have put up 700 issue 1's on comixology and their own app until tomorrow. You might struggle to actually download them, but as long as you complete the "purchase" by tomorrow, they're all yours for free.

Also today, DC announced Scott Snyder's next big Batman arc entitled Zero Year. Starts in June, can't wait to start reading it.

Edited by Harvey Dent

In case anyone hasn't seen, Marvel have put up 700 issue 1's on their app and comixology and their own app until tomorrow. You might struggle to actually download them, but as long as you complete the "purchase" by tomorrow, they're all yours for free.

Servers are knackered for both apps. They've been swamped. Comixology won't let me login, or use the forgotten password link, or create a new account. I downloaded the Marvel app and that one keeps flashing up "failed to connect to store" after a bit, and trying to download anything it just says "cannot connect to billing service at this time." Saw online that they might be extending the offer to allow it all to calm down and everyone to get them.

• Paid Members
In case anyone hasn't seen, Marvel have put up 700 issue 1's on their app and comixology and their own app until tomorrow. You might struggle to actually download them, but as long as you complete the "purchase" by tomorrow, they're all yours for free.

Servers are knackered for both apps. They've been swamped. Comixology won't let me login, or use the forgotten password link, or create a new account. I downloaded the Marvel app and that one keeps flashing up "failed to connect to store" after a bit, and trying to download anything it just says "cannot connect to billing service at this time." Saw online that they might be extending the offer to allow it all to calm down and everyone to get them.

Yeah, I had the exact same problem. Very irritating, especially as I was looking to download some DC mainly.

I've managed to finalise the Purchase of a few of the Marvel 700, but not managed to actually download anything yet. Looks like I probably won't be picking up any new comics this week if the servers are fucked. Gives me chance to catch up though I suppose, so not all bad

I'm after some help guys... Is there a website that will show, in simplistic ways, what comics/graphic novels correlate/branch off from one another?

For example 'Civil War', I bought the book a few weeks back (along with several others over the last few months), but want to read up on the events that led up to the beginning and especially the aftermath. With Steve Rogers handing himself in, and the story arc from then. I guess a chronological order of books is what i'm after.

I'm not too bothered about recommendations as I'm pretty certain they have been made on more than one occasion in here, and bare in mind (although i've been a fan of comic book superheros for a good while) i'm new to the graphic novel side of it so i'm more about buying on a whim and immersing myself in anything and everything that takes my fancy!

Books i've bought over the last few months written below, so any help with those would be great...

Civil War (From what I know, would the 50 State Initiative and Captain America: Prisoner, be what i'm after here?)

Batman Hush

the Amazing Spider Man: Spider Island

Avengers Origins

Fear Itself

Ultimate Comics X-Men: Divided We Fall United We Stand

Avengers vs X-Men

Avengers vs New Ultimates

Plus some smaller hard back copies from the shop, The Works...

the Amazing Spider Man: Crime and Punisher

The Mighty Avengers: Secret Invasion (Book 2 Vol 4)

The New Avengers: Search For The Sorcerer Suprem (Vol 11)

Avengers : Standoff (Which reads like it's massively incomplete)

Black Widow Deadly Origin

Ultimatum: Spider Man

Thanks in advance. On a side note, any sites that offer them cheaper? Going to Florida in 3 months, running out of ways to justify spending 30 quid every couple of weeks! Especially with my overtime having been drastically reduced.

Anyone know if Snyder's Death Of The Family story-arc will get released in TPB form?

I highly doubt it won't. Not sure when though. I'd guess within the next 6 months

Thanks pryko. I'm still fairly new to all of this so not sure how long stuff takes to come out in collected form after its original comic-run.

Currently reading Arkham Asylum 15th Anniversary Edition. Decent story but the artwork is remarkable

Managed to download about 50 before I got kicked off. I got pretty lucky, I happened to be on just as they were setting it up. The advantages of living in a completely different time zone I guess. Lots of free #1 issues from recent series too.

Apparently the promotion is now "on hold" until they can resolve it.

Utterly barmy promotion. I'd love to know if it had a positive / negative impact on their overall profitability.

Managed to download about 50 before I got kicked off. I got pretty lucky, I happened to be on just as they were setting it up. The advantages of living in a completely different time zone I guess. Lots of free #1 issues from recent series too.

Utterly barmy promotion. I'd love to know if it had a positive / negative impact on their overall profitability.

I'm imagining they're thinking fans will pick up older issues of titles they may have just started collecting, hoping to entice them into buying some older titles titles too, or that fans will pick up issues of a series that they may have been thinking about picking up but haven't yet picked up. I doubt it would have a negative impact, but as far as how positive of an impact it makes, only Marvel / Comixology will know

I'm imagining they're thinking fans will pick up older issues of titles they may have just started collecting, hoping to entice them into buying some older titles titles too, or that fans will pick up issues of a series that they may have been thinking about picking up but haven't yet picked up. I doubt it would have a negative impact, but as far as how positive of an impact it makes, only Marvel / Comixology will know

Oh I get the idea. Often I download a free issue and go on to buy the entire season arc, or buy an entire season arc when a promotion is on.

However NOW I have so many new issues to get through I don't see myself buying an issue for quite sometime. Love to see the sale stats to see if it works though. The marvel and dc app has made following comics much easier for me now so wish them every success.

• Paid Members

Up until the start of 'The Heroic Age' I'd been reading most things Marvel used to put out, but every time I attempt to dip back in I'm just really not finding it anywhere near as enjoyable (probably my own fault for using big crossover events as jumping off points). Are there any titles worth checking out at the moment? I did consider picking up Superior Spider-Man but figured I was probably better off just grabbing that in a year's time when they inevitably reintroduce the status quo.

I also realise this is some kind of comic book sin, but I have to get this off my chest. I've never completed Preacher. I've been reading it on and off for about 4-5 years now, and the reason it's taken that long's not because I'm not enjoying it, but I just don't want it to end :( I think I'm about 2 thirds through now so the end is in sight, but wow, I just never know where it's going to go next, and even though I'm probably stating the obvious it's definitely a book that deserves all the praise and hype it gets. I'm normally the type of guy that's happy to see any film or TV adaptation of comic book stuff as I feel a bad movie's better than no movie on a subject, but Preacher's one I don't think anyone could ever get right (or be allowed to be).

I realise this is a stupid question, but is there anything else on a similar level that I may not have stumbled across before?

Transmetropolitan. I'm currently re-reading it from start and it still makes me laugh and get angry and emotional tied to it.

I felt the same about Transmetropolitan that you feel with Preacher. Honestly, I loved Preacher too and what I liked about it was when it took a little detour (I won't go into details incase you're not there yet) so you didn't get too burnt out, then comes back hard for a great finale. But Transmetropolitan I remember holding the last volume in my hands thinking 'I don't want to start, I don't want to know the end.' But it was good.