The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

I like Unwritten, but I was reading it monthly and I don't think that works so well for good comics. It's fine for throwaway superhero shite I guess (monthly comics are more for collectors than readers, I reckon), but it ruins the flow of better stuff. I haven't read any of it for about six months now.

I didn't know Hellblazer was still going. That's one I've only ever read in tpb form, I bought all the Ennis ones years ago. Never read much more than that, though. I didn't want to read any of the older stuff because I knew too many people's fates. I either bought or illegally downloaded a tpb a few years ago that was quite acclaimed and was written by a novelist, but I'm not sure I ever read it. Any Hellblazer recommendations?

And what's everyone currently reading? The Boys is finished, so for me it's just The Walking Dead, which is shit... And Crossed and Unwritten, which I'm way behind on. Gonna give that Skullkickers #0 a go and see if it takes my fancy. Might get back into Invincible as well, but that's a bit crap too. Is it still running?

Anyone read Chew? I never got into it, but I'm thinking about it. And I keep meaning to get back into Scalped. I've completely lost track of where I got up to with it.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members
Anyone read Chew? I never got into it, but I'm thinking about it.

Really good. I've not been flush with cash recently, so haven't gotten past the first volume, but it does a surprisingly good job of making the story's world seem both silly and serious at the same time. Very engaging story, too.

• Moderators
And what's everyone currently reading? The Boys is finished, so for me it's just The Walking Dead, which is shit... And Crossed and Unwritten, which I'm way behind on. Gonna give that Skullkickers #0 a go and see if it takes my fancy. Might get back into Invincible as well, but that's a bit crap too. Is it still running?

Anyone read Chew? I never got into it, but I'm thinking about it. And I keep meaning to get back into Scalped. I've completely lost track of where I got up to with it.

I'm up to date with Chew and I really enjoy it.. One of the only things I'm regularly following (hence the need for new shit!). As Carbomb says though, it is silly so if you're looking for something ultra-serious don't bother. But I've found it funny and well-written and they've created a real cool little world that it's set in.

The other thing is Walking Dead.. Which I've been reading out of habit and I've not thought was too great, but I thought Book 16 was a bit of a return to form and the best one for ages.

Was eyeing up Scalped in the shop - tossing up between reading that and 100 Bullets - anyone read both and if so which would you recommend?

Edited by Chest Rockwell

I'm up to date with Chew and I really enjoy it.. One of the only things I'm regularly following (hence the need for new shit!). As Carbomb says though, it is silly so if you're looking for something ultra-serious don't bother. But I've found it funny and well-written and they've created a real cool little world that it's set in.

The other thing is Walking Dead.. Which I've been reading out of habit and I've not thought was too great, but I thought Book 16 was a bit of a return to form and the best one for ages.

I finished reading up to the latest issue of Chew a couple of weeks ago and found it to be a lot of fun. Also found out I have a first edition printing of the 1st issue worth about

Does anyone read anything old or do you all keep up to date with shit? I've been on a binge just getting stuff dirt cheap off ebay. Early X-Force and X-Factor have been a good source of nostalgia and laughs, especially at the art of Rob Liefield (less feet, more guns, MORE POUCHES).

It's fucking ace. Reading all the comics I couldn't get as a kid in Kendal but I wish I had. Won a lot of 20 X-Factor issues for about

• Paid Members

I like Unwritten, but I was reading it monthly and I don't think that works so well for good comics. It's fine for throwaway superhero shite I guess (monthly comics are more for collectors than readers, I reckon), but it ruins the flow of better stuff. I haven't read any of it for about six months now.

Yeah, pretty much. You can tell when a writer is purely writing for the trade. Which is no bad thing.

I didn't know Hellblazer was still going. That's one I've only ever read in tpb form, I bought all the Ennis ones years ago. Never read much more than that, though. I didn't want to read any of the older stuff because I knew too many people's fates. I either bought or illegally downloaded a tpb a few years ago that was quite acclaimed and was written by a novelist, but I'm not sure I ever read it. Any Hellblazer recommendations?

The two volumes of Warren Ellis' run are fantastically dark and nasty. I'd also recommend Brian Azzarrello's run - although I'm in the minority on that one. It had a slightly different take on John which I liked, and tended to show him only from the outside, so the reader didn't know what he was up to a lot of the time either. There's a story called 'Freezes Over' which is just superb. Also, while it's a little fanwanky at times, I loved Mike Carey's run as well.

Crossed depends entirely on the writer. David Lapham's stuff is fucking awful. Jamie Delano's was crap as well (and I usually love Delano). They both concentrate on how mankind are the real monsters, and go for the ludicrous gross-out each time. Meanwhile, Garth Ennis' second run was just as good as the first, and Si Spurrier's free webcomic (which has also just been collected) is the best Crossed story I've read so far.

Chew is silly, funny and smart. Fully recommend it.

is this the Batman 13 that peeps were refering to?

BM_Cv13_NYCC_VAR_cv1.jpg

Yes, that is Batman 13. Batman 14 should be out this coming Wednesday (I think) with the story carrying on.

Does anyone read anything old or do you all keep up to date with shit?

When I posted on the last page that I'm catching up with Green Lantern, I'm currently reading the really old stuff from the very early days of Green Lantern, trying to go through basically the entire history with a Green Lantern timeline I found online