The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

I don't think they've ever really needed an even that catastrophic to inspire an invasion of whichever middle Eastern country they like. though. A few months of fairly hardcore media stuff on the country of their choice would be a great deal easier and cheaper than planning something like the attacks on the WTC.

The BBC did a documentary on the planes and the conspiracies a few years ago. A really telling part was when they had a professor and his students analyse the Pentagon crash, and they worked out with all sorts of proof that the way it was claimed to have happened (a plane crashed into it) actually happened. Now, they weren't on one side or the other, but after they published their findings they got sacks of hate mail, including some death threats, from people who believed in a conspiracy. Now how crazy is that? If all you want is the truth then surely something which has been proved to that degree is a good thing?

Oh, and they had an interview with Mr. Loose Change where he criticised the ability of Popular Mechanics magazine to analyse the ways planes and buildings work, saying they should stick to farm machinery. Of course, no-one came back on his ability to analyse the ways planes and buildings work, given up til 9/11 he had absolutely zero experience of either, and has no professional education in either of them now.

PS. Anyone watching "UFO Hunters", and "The Nostradamus Effect" on The History Channel? Awesome pieces of TV.

Edited by Famous Mortimer

I owned a book years back (90's) about all sorts of paranormal/supernatural kinds of stuff that had an entire section dedicated to Nostradamus and it listed a large amout of his predictions (and entire chapter filled with them) along with interpritations and one them was interprited as predicting a "massive air attack on New York City"

Coincidence or not looking back following 9/11 that was pretty fucking creepy.

Wasn't it something like "flying angels", hitting a "great city", or something? Or am I heavy tripping?

I can't remember sorry but that sounds believable because Nostradamus's predictions were always kind of trippy sounding from what little I can remember.

Like I posted I wish I still owned that book because it was filled with all kinds of wacky shit from UFO's all the way down to Ghosts, reincarnation, etc.

I gave it to a mate but I think I'll ask if he still has it.

EDIT

I'm pretty sure this is the one I read.

The sky will burn at forty-five degrees latitude,

Fire approaches the great new city

Immediately a huge, scattered flame leaps up

When they want to have verification from the Normans

I found it after a google seacrh and there was a few variations off it (one claiming the dead would walk the Earth or some shit) and I'm almost postive that is the version I read years back and if not it is the closest to it.

Edited by The King Of Swing

I owned a book years back (90's) about all sorts of paranormal/supernatural kinds of stuff that had an entire section dedicated to Nostradamus and it listed a large amout of his predictions (and entire chapter filled with them) along with interpritations and one them was interprited as predicting a "massive air attack on New York City"

Coincidence or not looking back following 9/11 that was pretty fucking creepy.

It can be interpreted any way you like, really. It

There's an obsessiveness to conspiracy theories that is bordering on mental illness. The intense focus on minor details, the exclusion of alternative viewpoints, the paranoia - it's quite bipolar. The logical leaps that conspiracy theorists seem capable of making are often weirdly unlogical.

• Moderators
There's an obsessiveness to conspiracy theories that is bordering on mental illness. The intense focus on minor details, the exclusion of alternative viewpoints, the paranoia - it's quite bipolar. The logical leaps that conspiracy theorists seem capable of making are often weirdly unlogical.

Amateur psychologist hat on for a second. A lot of the intensity comes from people simply not wanting to be proven wrong on something they've spent much of their lives obsessing over. For those nuts, it has to be true, or they've wasted a decade or two on something very silly indeed, and at best, everything they've told all their friends is definitely true is embarassingly not, so any little crumb of "evidence" is hoovered right up and clutched to their chest in desperation-cum-relief. Evidence to the contrary will just get swatted aside as misinformation or whatever, in the fear that everything's going to come crashing down. See also, Creationists, and the sheer level of rage they'll display in the face of actual facts.

With religion you also get the unassailable viewpoint, where both sides can be as smug as they like about how right they are, because it's not like you could to go on Wikipedia and say "Actually, he's right, God doesn't exist. Have a look," like you could if you were arguing about who won the FA Cup in 1982. There's a lot of this in conspiracy circles too, because the believers know there's no evidence that they couldn't just brush off as misinformation. "Yeah, but if the Queen really isn't a lizard from space, how comes she hasn't sued David Icke in court or given a DNA sample? Eh? Eh?"

If conspiracy folks weren't mentally ill to begin with, any serious amount of time trying to convince yourself there's something in those wacky theories will probably put you down that path eventually.

Edited by Woyzeck

Tell a lie long enough and people start to believe it, logically only an idiot or a complete wack job would follow the ideals of the Nazis but logic didn't stop many people from doing just that and there are people today who still do.

The 9/11 conspiracy has been drummed into peoples minds so much now it really is no suprise that more and more people eventually buy into it plus Bush and co. obviously exploiting the attack to do pretty much anything they want didn't help matters either.

It's the same with Holocaust denial only a blind idiot would trully believe it never took place but some people will always believe what they want to believe.

Amateur psychologist hat on for a second. A lot of the intensity comes from people simply not wanting to be proven wrong on something they've spent much of their lives obsessing over. For those nuts, it has to be true, or they've wasted a decade or two on something very silly indeed, and at best, everything they've told all their friends is definitely true is embarassingly not, so any little crumb of "evidence" is hoovered right up and clutched to their chest in desperation-cum-relief. Evidence to the contrary will just get swatted aside as misinformation or whatever, in the fear that everything's going to come crashing down. See also, Creationists, and the sheer level of rage they'll display in the face of actual facts.

With religion you also get the unassailable viewpoint, where both sides can be as smug as they like about how right they are, because it's not like you could to go on Wikipedia and say "Actually, he's right, God doesn't exist. Have a look," like you could if you were arguing about who won the FA Cup in 1982. There's a lot of this in conspiracy circles too, because the believers know there's no evidence that they couldn't just brush off as misinformation. "Yeah, but if the Queen really isn't a lizard from space, how comes she hasn't sued David Icke in court or given a DNA sample? Eh? Eh?"

If conspiracy folks weren't mentally ill to begin with, any serious amount of time trying to convince yourself there's something in those wacky theories will probably put you down that path eventually.

I may have mentioned this to you before Woyzeck, but that exact thing happened to a friend of mine, hence my pop psychology. He started getting really obsessed with 9-11, even going so far as to organise a conference on it. He forced me to watch that shitty documentary on it, and when I pointed out a lot of the logical flaws in it he got quite angry.

6 months later he had a massive mental breakdown and was committed. He's been in and out ever since, unable to hold down a job or a relationship, and is really not the same person any more.

Which came first, the conspiracy nutdom or the mental illness I don't know, but they definitely fed off each other. This is why I'm quite anti-conspiracy theories - they are quite dangerous and life-altering if you're not clear-headed enough to understand them as the urban mythology they really are.

Nostradamus's predictions make perfect sense once you put something that almsot matches into it.

they dont make much sense now

I dont know much about his predictions but if the third anti-christ is due in a couple of years, what happened to the first 2?

I think Hitler is believed by many to be one of them but I have no idea who the other is supposed to be.

Jeremy Kyle maybe? :laugh:

I dont know much about his predictions but if the third anti-christ is due in a couple of years, what happened to the first 2?

That reminds me, whatever happened to the 2nd coming of Christ?

I'm thinking he may have in fact been Evan Tanner.

I hear God has put those plans on hold while he gets his heat back after jobbing to Vince McMahon.

God & Jesus Christ Vs. Vince & Shane McMahon is rumered to be the planned main event of wrestlemania XXVIII.