Official Darts Thread

Dai

Kevin Painter in 2012? Fucking hell. Him and Barney will be taking rapings everywhere.

Painter is actually quite decent these days, he was good in his games in the worlds and had a tremendous Players Championship, he usually averages around 95 I would say.

I can agree on Barney though.

Edited by jimufctna24

What has Barney done in the last year to deserve a premier league place? I loved how on the PDC website they gave a little sentence on why each wildcard was picked, Whitlock for making the world semi's,Hamilton for making the world finals,Painter for winning the players championship then for Barney the reason was 'Raymond van Barneveld remains one of the most popular players throughout the darts world'. What the hell has popularity have to do with playing in the premier league. May as well get Bristow,Mardle and Manley back in that case. Wes Newton should have been given that spot in my opinion, he's been one of the most consistent players of the last year

• Paid Members

What the hell has popularity have to do with playing in the premier league.

Al they care about is that people watch. It's naive to think anything else. Regardless of form, Taylor vs. Barney, Lewis vs. Barney, Anderson vs. Barney and Wade vs. Barney will all pique more interest than if anyone else was involved. Well, other than Huybrechts missus perhaps.

Al they care about is that people watch. It's naive to think anything else. Regardless of form, Taylor vs. Barney, Lewis vs. Barney, Anderson vs. Barney and Wade vs. Barney will all pique more interest than if anyone else was involved. Well, other than Huybrechts missus perhaps.

Spot on. Barney, like him or not is still a draw to the Dart fans. I think between now and the start of the PL you'll see Barney go back to the drawing board and enlist the likes of Brissy and Harrington to sort his head out and get him firing back to some sort of form from before. As mentioned during the Worlds, if he could just give Rod and Eric a week of his time to sort out the mental aspect to his game, he'd be right on track again. It's not is Darts which need sorting, it's upstairs!

This time of the year for Darts is the silly season after the "real" Worlds. Everyone who loves the game always discusses who will be the picks for the PL. I'm happy to see two fresh names featured for 2012, but realistically for Sky, could you honestly see them wanting a Wes Newton featured? With respect to Wes, he doesn't enthuse personality does he? Sky are not in the game for fringe players like him I'm afraid. As well as Wes has played for the last two years, he'd have needed to have won at least the Players Championships to have got his name a look in. His brain was scrambled after his defeat to Justin Pipe at the Palace. Painter did that at Doncaster, and he'd be more of a personality to put forward than Wes.

What are people's view on the comentators just out of interest? I quite enjoy listening to John Gwynn, Nigel Pearson, Wayne Mardle and Rod Harrington, but admit to not being enthralled by the likes of Stuart Pyke and Rod Studd for obvious reasons!

Everything.

Barney is still the 2nd most popular player in the PDC, so his form is irrelevant. Not exactly thrilled with Painter and Hamilton. As said before, the PL isnt about the best 8 players in the World. Players I would have preferred rather than Painter and Hamilton; Chisnal, Van Gerwin, Nicholson, Newton, possibly even someone like Vincent VDV.

I dont get annoyed with the commentators as I do with a lot of football ones, which must mean they are doing a decent job. Mardle was intolerable when he first got the gig, but hes settled down down, and is OK (still the most annoying of the lot, though). Havent missed Sid at all during these World Championships. After that, John Gwynn is probably my least fav.

• Paid Members
What are people's view on the comentators just out of interest? I quite enjoy listening to John Gwynn, Nigel Pearson, Wayne Mardle and Rod Harrington, but admit to not being enthralled by the likes of Stuart Pyke and Rod Studd for obvious reasons!

I find John Gwynne seriously annoying. Mardle comes out with a lot of shite too. Almost everytime he says "I'd be surprised if he..." he ends up surprised. Stop saying it.

Rod Harrington is the best of the lot and Pearson has a good voice for it and doesn't go OTT. Is Gwynne trying to be Waddell? Perhaps that's why he's so shit.

Anyone else noticed that ESPN classic have Live BDO darts on this week? Noticed when I was looking for footy games to record. Odd that it isn't on normal ESPN. What are the BBC doing these days?

Also just been checking out the BDO website, and caught a look at the Womens World Championshop draw, and saw Anastasia there. Has she left the PDC? Didnt read about that anywhere.

She left the PDC probably around a year ago. If I remember correctly it was before last years Women's BDO World Championships started, but it was too late for her to participate in that year's event.

Anyone else noticed that ESPN classic have Live BDO darts on this week? Noticed when I was looking for footy games to record. Odd that it isn't on normal ESPN. What are the BBC doing these days?

It's on Classic? Happy days. Yeah I posted a few posts back about ESPN having most of the BDO worlds this year with just odd bits and the Final on BBC.

EDIT - Just checked and saw that it's just on Monday night on Classic for some reason

Edited by Baz Windham

I am not suprised it is on ESPN classic, the presentation of the BDO looks like somthing from the Antiques Roadshow.

They have some decent players like Waites and Whinstanley, but it just reeks of living in the past for me. The crowds at the PDC can be overbearing but I still prefer that to the BDO and there gloomy lighting and worship of Martin Adams.

Edited by jimufctna24

I am not suprised it is on ESPN classic, the presentation of the BDO looks like somthing from the Antiques Roadshow.

They have some decent players like Waites and Whinstanley, but it just reeks of living in the past for me. The crowds at the PDC can be overbearing but I still prefer that to the BDO and there gloomy lighting and worship of Martin Adams.

Be grateful you've never been and watched a BDO event live. The organisation, set up, in fact everything about what is wrong with the BDO was evident (and don't get of started on Fitzmaurice) when we went up to the Hull Ice Arena last year to watch the Masters.

The BDO had a real chance to move forward the year Webster and Anastasia won their respective World titles, though typically they missed the boat with a bunch of maroon blazers who don't want to move aside and will probably die in their role (that's you again Fitz), and an organisation that panders to the Wolfman.

I understand Barney is a big draw but at what point does his popularity become more important than his form.I mean if his popularity itself is enough to warrant his inclusion he may aswell not bother playing throughout the year and just play in the premier league.

The problem with the premier league is because its not long after the worlds it tends to reward the players who have done well at the end of the year and forget about the players who have been consistently good all year.Both Painter and Hamilton are only there because of their end of year form,the rest of the year they were quite ordinary,both players were outside the top 10 before their good results and take away those results and they would be nowhere near the premier league.Newton is number 6 even though he's not got a big win under his belt,he's there because he is consistently good all year long.It would be nice for the PDC to reward the most consistent players instead of the players who only perform at the end of the year. Still,should be gooden this year regardless.

The same argument could be used for Adrian Lewis,take away his 2 world title wins and he has been very ordinary throughout the rest of the year.without those wins he would also probably be close to being outside the top ten. Taylor,Wade and Anderson are much more consistent throughout the year and Lewis just seems to be relying on his world title wins.would be nice to see him do better throughout the year,I like Lewis and it would be good to see him pick up a few more titles.

Kinda looking forward to the BDO but they do seem to only have 3 top players at the moment